Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #57
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissa View Post
I've seen 2.4L cobalts beat civic si's, and it's a silly thing to say it won't compare.
I'm not talking bout the EM1 99-00 Civic Si or the EP3 shrunken Odyssey van Si.

We are talking about the FG Civic Si. Every comparo I've ever seen the Civic Si wins.

So, maybe with cheese eating high school boy amateur drivers, the 2.4 Cobalt can hold it's own. I've beaten lot's of squids on R6s with my much inferior 600 so yeah, it could happen. But with experienced drivers? It's the Si.

That's just the 2.4. Having an extra 63 ponies on tap should more than level the playing field for the Cobalt SS/TC. It should outright kill the Si

Besides, Chevrolet no longer makes the 2.4 Cobalt.

You'd have to get a G5 GT to get a 2.4 and all the dealers just have Model + GTs w/Automatic transmissions. I checked
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #58
Rissa

Drives: 1997 Camaro z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post

We are talking about the FG Civic Si. Every comparo I've ever seen the Civic Si wins.

So, maybe with cheese eating high school boy amateur drivers, the 2.4 Cobalt can hold it's own. I've beaten lot's of squids on R6s with my much inferior 600 so yeah, it could happen. But with experienced drivers? It's the Si.

That's just the 2.4. Having an extra 63 ponies on tap should more than level the playing field for the Cobalt SS/TC. It should outright kill the Si

You'd have to get a G5 GT to get a 2.4 and all the dealers just have Model + GTs w/Automatic transmissions. I checked
It was the newer civic si's, but ok lol. And I have beaten a few civic si's, I try not to race much, and yeah I know they stopped making the 2.4. It's just dumb to say IF the civic si was turbocharged it would blah blah blah. It doesn't matter because it's not. But anyway the ss/tc will more than likely beat the v6 camaro, still love it though!!!
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #59
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
I'm too affraid of the wall to want to turn the steering wheel...
I race with the gas and the brake.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #60
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Hence...why a V6 Camaro, while still and WORLDS better looking than the Colbalt SS, loses it's appeal. That dang weight aint helping it out...like the Camaro in general.

If I can't have a V8 Camaro then who cares, I love the look but If I'm sacrificing the rear seats in terms of space/comfort I better be getting a V8.

Sad realization for me, honestly...I was so ready to buy one of these but I just don't think it makes sense for me which also makes me worry about the Camaro's mass appeal.

GOSH...I so wish things where different.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #61
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/ Wrong! The Cobalt Sport (previously SS) still has the 2.4.

Maybe on the dragstrip the SI would win, but any time its below 6000 rpm its pretty gutless.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #62
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanaso View Post
Hence...why a V6 Camaro, while still and WORLDS better looking than the Colbalt SS, loses it's appeal. That dang weight aint helping it out...like the Camaro in general.

If I can't have a V8 Camaro then who cares, I love the look but If I'm sacrificing the rear seats in terms of space/comfort I better be getting a V8.

Sad realization for me, honestly...I was so ready to buy one of these but I just don't think it makes sense for me which also makes me worry about the Camaro's mass appeal.

GOSH...I so wish things where different.
Cubanso, you said you had a little one in the back, in that case weight is your friend, SUVs and big trucks maybe becoming a lot less popular, but there are still a ton of them out there, and your chances if you are in an accident are greatly enhanced the more your car weighs, its you against the SUVs and large trucks until they start getting replaced and they aren't going to disappear ANYTIME soon....That was how I got my last set of Camaro's, I HAD to have a back seat in the days before airbag switches on the passenger side, you couldn't put a rear facing car seat in the front because you couldn't shutoff the airbag back in the old days.....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #63
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

^yeah, but you brought something up that is important...rear facing seats. My son outgrew that, but we are planning another and then what will I do.

Regardless, this I can promise you...I'm going to press forward and at least try it out when I'm ready to buy. I love this car and giving up on it hurts more than I can explain to you all.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #64
jmliptak

Quote:
^yeah, but you brought something up that is important...rear facing seats. My son outgrew that, but we are planning another and then what will I do.

Regardless, this I can promise you...I'm going to press forward and at least try it out when I'm ready to buy. I love this car and giving up on it hurts more than I can explain to you all.
Well, do the right thing for YOU! That's what really counts, kids arent supposed to ride in the front till a certain weight and they no longer need a booster seat. So even then they need to go in the back, but at least now you can turn off the driver side airbag, or in most cases they are sensitive to the weight and adjust themselves accordingly....
Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #65
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Can't you do this same comparison with teh Pontiac G6 GT GXP? Its at 253hp/260ft/lbs and thats naturally asperated.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #66
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Quote:
Well, do the right thing for YOU! That's what really counts, kids arent supposed to ride in the front till a certain weight and they no longer need a booster seat. So even then they need to go in the back, but at least now you can turn off the driver side airbag, or in most cases they are sensitive to the weight and adjust themselves accordingly....
I know, hence my agony...lol. I "WANT" the Camaro, so bad, but my needs and my family dictate other things. GOSH...this sucks for me....LOL! But, they come first no matter what I WANT!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #67
jmliptak

Quote:
I know, hence my agony...lol. I "WANT" the Camaro, so bad, but my needs and my family dictate other things. GOSH...this sucks for me....LOL! But, they come first no matter what I WANT!
I was just blessed with one so I never had to go through with what you describe, but my last two Camaro's would have probably been Vettes were it not for my son...The funny thing is at the time he hated riding in the back of the 4th gens because he couldn't see out, now he would kill to have one since he is almost 17 and is driving...The world turns in mysterious directions...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #68
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/ Wrong! The Cobalt Sport (previously SS) still has the 2.4.

Maybe on the dragstrip the SI would win, but any time its below 6000 rpm its pretty gutless.

My bad

Got ahead of myself there by a year model.

Quote:
2009: The 2.4L naturally aspirated "Sport Coupe and "Sport Sedan" models have both been deleted, along with the 2.2L L61 engine. Both are replaced by the 2.2L LAP engine thus providing better fuel economy and more power
Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #69
65bus

Drives: 92 Z28, 72 Chevy truck, 65 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to 65bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
Can't you do this same comparison with teh Pontiac G6 GT GXP? Its at 253hp/260ft/lbs and thats naturally asperated.
Well the G6 GXP only does 0-60 in 6.2 sec's and has a price tag of $28,000 were as the Cobalt is around $23,000with the times of a V8

This thread was to announce how GM is turning around for the better being Camaro SS, Cobalt SS, HHR SS, G8, Malibu, and of course there trucks ect....ect...Thanks GM ,

and how fast the little Cobalt really is for $23,000 and will probably handle better than the maro. I meant all this as an allternative to the people that couldnt afford, didnt like or GM over priced the Camaro SS they still had a super fast car they could pick up for $23,000
65bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #70
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65bus View Post

....and how fast the little Cobalt really is for $23,000 and will probably handle better than the maro. I meant all this as an allternative to the people that couldnt afford, didnt like or GM over priced the Camaro SS they still had a super fast car they could pick up for $23,000
....And rub it in Chrysler's face for changing the SRT/4 from a nasty snarling neon on steroids and meth into a dumpy fat crossover SUV