Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Yes, any cam, fuel system, aftermarket tune will void the warranty. Don't worry about what others think of your plans, do what makes you happy. With that said your stock intake will support 500+HP, but the ASA cam they use is a pain in the arse to try and tune for fuel injection so they went carb. The warranty on a GMPP motor just covers the motor but when you change parts on a factory motor it can affect the whole drive train so GM has to draw the line somewhere.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Yes, any cam, fuel system, aftermarket tune will void the warranty. Don't worry about what others think of your plans, do what makes you happy. With that said your stock intake will support 500+HP, but the ASA cam they use is a pain in the arse to try and tune for fuel injection so they went carb. The warranty on a GMPP motor just covers the motor but when you change parts on a factory motor it can affect the whole drive train so GM has to draw the line somewhere.
ahh, thnx for the info. i really don't want to throw my warranty out the window, but 5 years is a long time to try adn be patient

we'll see how it goes. thanks for the input everyone!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
If you wanna know how bad they are about modding engines killing your warranty: I have a 07 pont G5. I ordered a GM Performance air intake from the dealer a week after i bought the car. A year later, my engine light came on, found out one of the clamps wasn't tight enough, I got a bill for 1hr labour (for diagnostic and like, 30 mins of turning a screwdriver maybe? Don't know how they stretched tightening a hose clamp into an hour, but I digress.)
Was told, it's modified, anything involving this part is not under warranty. And that was just for a bolt on, never mind switching throttle wires and stuff. Dealer basically told me I was lucky it was just an intake. Any mod that involves actually opening anything up in the engine = void powertrain warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
QUOTE=Robert91RS;209565]Yes, any cam, fuel system, aftermarket tune will void the warranty. Don't worry about what others think of your plans, do what makes you happy. With that said your stock intake will support 500+HP, but the ASA cam they use is a pain in the arse to try and tune for fuel injection so they went carb. The warranty on a GMPP motor just covers the motor but when you change parts on a factory motor it can affect the whole drive train so GM has to draw the line somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
If you wanna know how bad they are about modding engines killing your warranty: I have a 07 pont G5. I ordered a GM Performance air intake from the dealer a week after i bought the car. A year later, my engine light came on, found out one of the clamps wasn't tight enough, I got a bill for 1hr labour (for diagnostic and like, 30 mins of turning a screwdriver maybe? Don't know how they stretched tightening a hose clamp into an hour, but I digress.)
Was told, it's modified, anything involving this part is not under warranty. And that was just for a bolt on, never mind switching throttle wires and stuff. Dealer basically told me I was lucky it was just an intake. Any mod that involves actually opening anything up in the engine = void powertrain warranty.
Hmm... that's a little worrisom. Did you install the system or did the dealer, because I could almost see how they would charge you for diagnostic time and the one minute of labor it would've taken to tighten that clamp, but it seems a little much. I'd have thunk they could've scanned the engine for the code; maybe they had to troubleshoot for a while, because I can see how that could happen. At least with the current GMPP parts, installation is included so there won't be problems with that

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
they always charge by the whole hour for shop time. even if it takes 10 minutes. its how shops work. finding one that doesnt work tha way is very rare.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #20
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
If you want to swap intakes, put a Magnacharger in place of the stock intake or the cam and LTs like everyone else.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #21
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
ahh, thnx for the info. i really don't want to throw my warranty out the window, but 5 years is a long time to try adn be patient

we'll see how it goes. thanks for the input everyone!
Gotta pay to play.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #22
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
If you want to swap intakes, put a Magnacharger in place of the stock intake or the cam and LTs like everyone else.

It looks even cooler, shouldn't take as much to get it running right and will certainly add more than 85hp.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote