Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Possibly plans w/ intake

Ok, so i've been looking around @ GMPP and such, and i'm mentally building/modding my engine

they have a carb manifold/cam LS engine thats supposed to put out 515HP

i figure, i can get both those done at a GMPP dealership and still maintain warranty (HUGE PLUS)

they also have the same manifold ported with injector bosses (for EFI or nitrous) sooo, i can keep my EFI, and have the classic options of old style carb intake/on top port (never been a big fan of standard EFI intakes)

my specific plans for what kinda intake are going to be kept secret until i get it all finalized

should look like this

Last edited by Chewy; 12-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
You won't keep your warranty. There are a number of things wrong with your idea. You're gonna have to SD tune when you delete your MAF, which this intake forces. That on its own forces you to go to the aftermarket. You'll also have to run a throttle cable because the LS3 TB is drive-by-wire. I doubt it'll flow better either. And so on and so forth.

Cliff notes - No. Just no. If you're going to mod your car to make decent power, be prepared to forfeit your warranty. And you are really only looking to make 515 crank, (about 440whp) you can do that with a middle of the road cam and headers. Wanna make 470-480, clean up the heads and stock intake. The setup you propose will void your warranty regardless and give you infinitely more headaches/higher bills than this.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
It would be a cold day in hell before they kept your warranty intact with that. Seems like a LOT of work for 90 more HP which you could get with a cam and headers. Aside from the fact the systems are so integrated that eliminating the stock fuel system will likely give the car a heart attack.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
they wont let you keep you warrenty
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
You won't keep your warranty. There are a number of things wrong with your idea. You're gonna have to SD tune when you delete your MAF, which this intake forces. That on its own forces you to go to the aftermarket. You'll also have to run a throttle cable because the LS3 TB is drive-by-wire. I doubt it'll flow better either. And so on and so forth.

Cliff notes - No. Just no. If you're going to mod your car to make decent power, be prepared to forfeit your warranty. And you are really only looking to make 515 crank, (about 440whp) you can do that with a middle of the road cam and headers. Wanna make 470-480, clean up the heads and stock intake. The setup you propose will void your warranty regardless and give you infinitely more headaches/higher bills than this.

^yep, much better option. though (of the intake)
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

I'm not sure why it would void the warranty when GMPP sells this engine

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...1225&engCat=ls

it states that its 'an upgraded LS3", with their(GMPP) parts and their techs i assumed they could upgrade MY ls3 and it wouldn't be a problem

as for the power factor - i'd do this mod mainly for personal style and preference, the performance increase is a big incentive/perk though.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I'm not sure why it would void the warranty when GMPP sells this engine

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...1225&engCat=ls

it states that its 'an upgraded LS3", with their(GMPP) parts and their techs i assumed they could upgrade MY ls3 and it wouldn't be a problem

as for the power factor - i'd do this mod mainly for personal style and preference, the performance increase is a big incentive/perk though.
That engine though is identical to the one in the car from the factory aside from the cam and carb intake. So just get a GMPP cam, and get the intake (I'm sure they sell it seperately) and youre set... I mean youre going to spend $10,000 on the same thng thats already in your car. HOWEVER that custom style fuel system, I know will drive the car nuts and probably require some custom setup to get everything to work (or putting a carb on? I didn't quite get exactly your meaning there). Rememebr you need to hook up the MAF, IAT, and things like that in there, as well as the electronic throttle control. Theres no way in the world stock parts would work with that. And GMPP already says only certain updates will not void your warranty.

I can't imagine any way in the world they would ever warranty something like that.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

they warranty the crate engine, i think i'll email them and ask if they'll warranty the upgrade considering its essentially the same thing.

Quote:
L76/L92 4-Barrel Intake Manifold
GM Racing design for use on 'as-cast' rectangle port Gen IV cylinder heads
As-cast design requires no porting for maximum performance
Includes mounting bolts and instructions
Uses L92/LS3 carb intake gasket set P/N 19172114
Machined for 4150-style carburetors and has 3/8' NPT vacuum boss
Also available with injector bosses P/N 25534416

Note: LSX Ignition Controller P/N 19171130 is required for carbureted applications.
would the LSX ignition controller bypass the MAF? (which most likely not exist anymore.)

I would still have a throttle body if i use the fuel rails into the injection bosses, but a 4bbl style instead.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
they warranty the crate engine, i think i'll email them and ask if they'll warranty the upgrade considering its essentially the same thing.

would the LSX ignition controller bypass the MAF? (which most likely not exist anymore.)

I would still have a throttle body if i use the fuel rails into the injection bosses, but a 4bbl style instead.
the only reason they warranty that motor is because they dont sell alot of them and they Build the engine themselves so they know it is done right.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Are we talking vehicle warranty or engine warranty? If you're talking vehicle warranty, I'm with everyone else saying no, you do that stuff in your new Camaro, you can kiss the warranty good-bye. If you're just talking about swapping a LS3 for a crate LS3, then sure, you'll have the engine warranty, but that'll be limited to whatever parts GM approves for that engine. I'm with a mild cam and LTs and call it a day. If you're just trying to be different, yeah, you're doing it, but at no real benefit other that cosmetically. Hey, it's your car, and if that's what you think is best for you, then atta' boy

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

not a whole engine swap. just a couple GMPP upgrades. if you get the hot cam does your camaro retain vehicle warranty? i just want that and one other lil modification from GM

if i can't keep warranty than i guess my plans will be on hold for a while - but i do plan on doing this eventually (and yes Radz28, mostly for cosmetics and to set myself apart)

i think its funny how camaro guys look down on a 'measly 85hp gain at the crank", when people with the same BMW as me spend $1000+ to get MAYBE 25hp gain. these cars have so much more potential and much cheaper to mod
Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
not a whole engine swap. just a couple GMPP upgrades. if you get the hot cam does your camaro retain vehicle warranty? i just want that and one other lil modification from GM

if i can't keep warranty than i guess my plans will be on hold for a while - but i do plan on doing this eventually (and yes Radz28, mostly for cosmetics and to set myself apart)

i think its funny how camaro guys look down on a 'measly 85hp gain at the crank", when people with the same BMW as me spend $1000+ to get MAYBE 25hp gain. these cars have so much more potential and much cheaper to mod
you loose your drivetrain warranty but keep everything else
Old 12-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
you loose your drivetrain warranty but keep everything else
with a hot cam? that blows
Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
Belo