Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Installed Hawk PC Ceramic Pads, brakes still squal like a girl...

SO I installed front and rear Hawk PC Ceramic pads to eliminate the dust and the squeal of my brakes. Used the included grease to install them and everything. However intermittently I still get a LOUD squeal from my front calipers. It happens I would say 70% of the time. any ideas?
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
SO I installed front and rear Hawk PC Ceramic pads to eliminate the dust and the squeal of my brakes. Used the included grease to install them and everything. However intermittently I still get a LOUD squeal from my front calipers. It happens I would say 70% of the time. any ideas?
This is most likely due to pad material already embedded in the rotors from the OE pads. Unless you resurface them or at least use a DA and scuff them up to remove as much of it as possible, you will have problems like this.

It may go away after more use and material transfer of the new pads. A standard "bedding" procedure of 50-10, 80-10, 100-10 without actually stopping and some cool down in between should get you there...
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
This is most likely due to pad material already embedded in the rotors from the OE pads. Unless you resurface them or at least use a DA and scuff them up to remove as much of it as possible, you will have problems like this.

It may go away after more use and material transfer of the new pads. A standard "bedding" procedure of 50-10, 80-10, 100-10 without actually stopping and some cool down in between should get you there...
I did scuff them with emery cloth, but I'll try bedding them again, didn't get a chance to drive the car far or much after installing them.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
boat rx

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
I just did the same pads with new rotors,and I am getting the same squealing sound.It only seems to happen on the right front.It also only does it under light braking .I did the bedding in process,but maybe need to do again.
boat rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Mine too. New rotors also. Squeal under light braking, front only. Eh, I deal. It stops on a F-ing dime!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Yeah I used my old rotors, 25k miles, they are in good shape, no reason to replace them.

It definitely stops well and correctly, however the factory brembo pads do stop better. That said, the difference is minor and I only drive my car on the street (I have a race car for when I wanna do something stupid) so they are good enough, and the drop in dust is preferable.

Hopefully bedding them in again will cure it, it is only the fronts (possibly only one side but I'm not sure).

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I changed pads, rotors, lines and fluid so I feel mine stops much better and is virtually dust free. The squeak... if the wife doesnt bitch, I'm find with a little bit my cars loud anyhow.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I guess I'm lucky. I just installed the Brembos and used the Hawk PCs. I have yet to hear a squeal at all, and the mechanic that did the install didn't even use the grease included. I removed all the weights on the calipers too. So no weights and no grease, I should be having squeal city but I have none.

It's weird how this varies from car to car.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Viper595
Redline drop, or go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I'd agree that the squealing is probably coming from the surface contact on the rotors, not the pads. I've also found that ceramic pads typically create more noise when braking, however they have the ability to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance than traditional organic or semi-metallic pads. The best practice to reduce brake noise is to either machine, or replace the rotors at the same time when brake pads are changed. I always replace rotors, as I am extremely picky about my car, and machining rotors always reduces the rotor's ability to cool down and makes it more susceptible to warping and heat-stressing, thus causing more noise. Make sure you properly burnish the brake pads onto the new rotor, or you will end up with that squeak under light braking conditions. Each manufacturer has a specific way of "breaking in" or burnishing their pads onto the rotor, make sure you check the box and the manufacturer's website before doing anything. All burnishing or "breaking in" does, is apply a thin layer of transfer material from the pad onto the rotor, mating the pad surface on to the rotor surface. The better the pads are burnished onto the rotor, the better chance you'll have of not having brake squeals later down the road. Just remember, every single braking system will eventually make noise. It's a simple fact of life.

2010 Camaro SS #123444 - K&N Typhoon CAI, Muffler Delete, MPD-1 Spoiler, Headlight Armor Blackouts. Mods to come: longtubes/tune/flux capacitor

Understeer
is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Viper595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Viper595
Redline drop, or go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I guess I'm lucky. I just installed the Brembos and used the Hawk PCs. I have yet to hear a squeal at all, and the mechanic that did the install didn't even use the grease included. I removed all the weights on the calipers too. So no weights and no grease, I should be having squeal city but I have none.

It's weird how this varies from car to car.

I'd be a little cautious around that mechanic from now on. Applying a thin layer of brake lube onto specific contact surfaces can definitely help brake chatter and definitely extend the life of your brake pads. Even though our braking systems aren't a floating caliper kind, brake lube is definitely needed where the pads rest on the saddle bracket (where the actual caliper bolts onto the knuckle. where the pads rest.) to help the pads slide back away from the rotor when the brakes aren't applied. Just remember, 30 to 40 thousand miles down the road, after being exposed to road salt, dirt, dust and sand, you may be regretting the decision to not put brake lube onto key contact points in your braking system.

2010 Camaro SS #123444 - K&N Typhoon CAI, Muffler Delete, MPD-1 Spoiler, Headlight Armor Blackouts. Mods to come: longtubes/tune/flux capacitor

Understeer
is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Viper595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper595 View Post
I'd be a little cautious around that mechanic from now on. Applying a thin layer of brake lube onto specific contact surfaces can definitely help brake chatter and definitely extend the life of your brake pads. Even though our braking systems aren't a floating caliper kind, brake lube is definitely needed where the pads rest on the saddle bracket (where the actual caliper bolts onto the knuckle. where the pads rest.) to help the pads slide back away from the rotor when the brakes aren't applied. Just remember, 30 to 40 thousand miles down the road, after being exposed to road salt, dirt, dust and sand, you may be regretting the decision to not put brake lube onto key contact points in your braking system.
Sorry, I should've clarified. There was grease put on there, just not on the back where I have seen others apply it. Don't worry, I was watching the whole thing. The only reason I didn't do it myself was lack of tools and space to work.

I thought we were talking about the backs of the pads, where I have seen YouTube videos of people instructing to put on "stop-squeal" grease.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper595 View Post
I'd agree that the squealing is probably coming from the surface contact on the rotors, not the pads. I've also found that ceramic pads typically create more noise when braking, however they have the ability to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance than traditional organic or semi-metallic pads. The best practice to reduce brake noise is to either machine, or replace the rotors at the same time when brake pads are changed. I always replace rotors, as I am extremely picky about my car, and machining rotors always reduces the rotor's ability to cool down and makes it more susceptible to warping and heat-stressing, thus causing more noise. Make sure you properly burnish the brake pads onto the new rotor, or you will end up with that squeak under light braking conditions. Each manufacturer has a specific way of "breaking in" or burnishing their pads onto the rotor, make sure you check the box and the manufacturer's website before doing anything. All burnishing or "breaking in" does, is apply a thin layer of transfer material from the pad onto the rotor, mating the pad surface on to the rotor surface. The better the pads are burnished onto the rotor, the better chance you'll have of not having brake squeals later down the road. Just remember, every single braking system will eventually make noise. It's a simple fact of life.
The stock rotors have only 2mm of wear before they are at their minimum thickness. That's 1mm per side of the rotor, so if there is any lip at all on the rotor, they need to be replaced. I for one don't like ceramic pads, because ceramic is harder and wears the rotors faster. I would rather wear out pads, they are cheaper than rotors. I am using Hawk HPS pads, and get alot less dust than oem pads and the stopping power is much greater than stock. Also, Motul 600 DOT4 fluid and stainless steel braided brake lines.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
Silver ice SS

Drives: Silver ice Metallic 2SS/RS
This is the same loud squeal that I'm getting from my hawk Hps pads! I am returning them for the ceramic pads, and was told by a hawk rep that prior to installation, I should lightly sand the pads down with 120 grit sandpaper, then bed them properly once installed. They said doing this will avoid any squealing from coming into existence. Thoughts?
Silver ice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Hawk Ceramics on most cars will not make any noise, but they do require you to properly bed them in, directions are on the box that the pads come in.

HPS pads will make noise more often, they are more aggressive and will not be as quiet.

HP+ pads WILL make noise, no way around it, but for the street they will stop the best, but will also make the most dust and noise.

it's a bit of a trade off.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote