Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Silver ice SS

Drives: Silver ice Metallic 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
Hawk Ceramics on most cars will not make any noise, but they do require you to properly bed them in, directions are on the box that the pads come in.

HPS pads will make noise more often, they are more aggressive and will not be as quiet.

HP+ pads WILL make noise, no way around it, but for the street they will stop the best, but will also make the most dust and noise.

it's a bit of a trade off.
But do you recommend sanding the pads a little prior to installation?
Silver ice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
no, i do exactly what it says on the box

how ever i do not ever install new pads on old rotors (unless i'm going to the track)
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
I read this on a GTI forum... ppl who change pads use AntiSqueal on the back of the pads touching the calipers and pistons. I dont know if that would help in this case.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver ice SS View Post
This is the same loud squeal that I'm getting from my hawk Hps pads! I am returning them for the ceramic pads, and was told by a hawk rep that prior to installation, I should lightly sand the pads down with 120 grit sandpaper this is usually done to pads that have already been thru a bed-in procedure and to be used on new rotors, then bed them properly once installed agreed. They said doing this will avoid any squealing from coming into existence. Thoughts?
see comments in bold... I would be applying the "surfacing" to the rotor face and NOT the new pads (they are clean and ready to go, unless you see contaminents on them)
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
Silver ice SS

Well hopefully when I have these pads installed in a few days and bed them properly, I won't have any issues with them. I've learned my lesson as far as aftermarket brakes go on the 5th gen though... The stocks do squeak, but these hawks SCREAM!!! They sound like a school bus or trash truck! It's horrible!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
Silver ice SS

Also, when the hawk rep told me that the reason why hawk pads scream on the Camaro is because of the rotors that Gm uses, i found that a bit odd. I never knew that certain brakes wouldn't mesh well with certain rotors...
Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #21
hypurone

Quote:
Well hopefully when I have these pads installed in a few days and bed them properly, I won't have any issues with them. I've learned my lesson as far as aftermarket brakes go on the 5th gen though... The stocks do squeak, but these hawks SCREAM!!! They sound like a school bus or trash truck! It's horrible!
Very strange, mine are whisper quiet on stock rotors....
Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #22
Silver ice SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Very strange, mine are whisper quiet on stock rotors....
How long have you been running the HPS pads? I put mine on in February, and they started squealing shortly after that. And I followed the "bedding in" instructions precisely.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #23
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
If you don't want squeal, buy OEM pads. Any type of high performance pad will most likely squeal and make tons of dust. But if you are looking for stronger bite force, then you will most likely not care about that.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #24
Silver ice SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
If you don't want squeal, buy OEM pads. Any type of high performance pad will most likely squeal and make tons of dust. But if you are looking for stronger bite force, then you will most likely not care about that.
That's what I may end up doing. I absolutely cannot deal with that noise! But the dealer wants $242 just for a front set of pads. That's ridiculous. Guess I better make a decision, and fast.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #25
hypurone

Quote:
How long have you been running the HPS pads? I put mine on in February, and they started squealing shortly after that. And I followed the "bedding in" instructions precisely.
Sorry I took that statement you quoted from Hawk as a "blanket" statement for all of their pads (being noisy on stock rotors)... I switched from OE straight to Ceramics
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
Silver ice SS

Quote:
Sorry I took that statement you quoted from Hawk as a "blanket" statement for all of their pads (being noisy on stock rotors)... I switched from OE straight to Ceramics
I thought you were running HPS pads... But yes, Hawk stated that ALL of their pads may squeal with the stock rotors because of the type of rotor that it is. I guess he means the materials that its made of??? (I'm lost on all of this)
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #27
hypurone

Quote:
I thought you were running HPS pads... But yes, Hawk stated that ALL of their pads may squeal with the stock rotors because of the type of rotor that it is. I guess he means the materials that its made of??? (I'm lost on all of this)
I am at a loss too. IMO, only dedicated racing pads should have noise as they are designed to work in narrow/high heat ranges... I have never installed a set of pads that I couldn't make quiet. It may take some isolators on the backs of the pads and noise cancellation compound (goop) but always quiet.

Just be careful not to cook the ceramics at break in. They have less initial bite than the HPS's so it will be easy to get on them too late/hard and really have to smoke em to get the car to stop while you are bedding them in....
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #28
Silver ice SS

Quote:
I am at a loss too. IMO, only dedicated racing pads should have noise as they are designed to work in narrow/high heat ranges... I have never installed a set of pads that I couldn't make quiet. It may take some isolators on the backs of the pads and noise cancellation compound (goop) but always quiet.

Just be careful not to cook the ceramics at break in. They have less initial bite than the HPS's so it will be easy to get on them too late/hard and really have to smoke em to get the car to stop while you are bedding them in....
Thanks for the tip... Hopefully these won't squeal like my Hps pads are squealing. I'm gonna bed them in EXACTLY as the instructions say to, and hope for the best.