Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Alignment Issues...Should I be pissed?

So, I just recently installed new wheels, Pfadt Coilovers, and BMR Trailing Arms. I don't really care for the totally "slammed" look, so I set the ride height just a little bit below stock (but not much). I wanted to get the most out of my new set up, so I printed out Pfadt's recommended alignment settings and took my car to a supposedly reputable alignment shop here in town. I explained before leaving my car that I wanted the settings somewhere between Pfadt's "Performance Street" and "Track Use with Street Tires" settings. They seemed confident, and didn't predict having any difficulties. So I go to pick up my car today, and they tell me that there are no provisions for any Caster adjustments beyond the factory settings, and they also said that in order to achieve my desired front Camber settings they had to "DRILL OUT" the strut mounting holes (I'm assuming they mean in the front spindles) in order to make more room for adjustment. I CANNOT FREAKIN' BELIEVE THEY WOULD TAKE A G.D. DRILL TO MY $40K CAR WITHOUT EVEN A PHONE CALL OR EVEN ASKING FIRST!!!! That's what I am most pissed about!!!

They showed me pictures (after the fact) of the GM eccentric bolts that were supposedly not available anywhere here in town, and said this practice of drilling out the strut mounting holes was very common and it would cause no future problems. They also printed out and showed me pictures of Pfadt's $460 camber adjustment plates (which I was already well aware of). I also was aware of the available eccentric bolts from Pedder's too, but I was under the impression these eccentric bolts and/or camber plates were only necessary for more extreme adjustments. So, is this "drilling out" procedure a common practice??? Should I be pissed??? There's really not much I can do about it now, what's done is done, but I'm still trying to cool down about them taking a drill to my car!!!

I would really love to hear from Pfadt on this.....please!

Thanks.

Last edited by blazzin1; 04-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Regardless if it was the right way to solve the alignment issues, they should have discussed it with you before altering any part of your car.
That's just not cool and you are justified in being pissed.

I hope this works out for you and isn't an issue, good luck.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
WTF???
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
Where did you go ?
2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
blazzin1

Oh, BTW, here are the alignment specs that I ended up with:

F. Camber: -1.2 deg (L), -1.3 deg (R)
F. Caster: 6.2 deg (L), 6.3 deg (R)
F. Toe: 0.02 deg (L), 0.00 deg (R)

R. Camber: -0.9 deg (L), -0.9 deg (R)
R. Toe: -0.06 deg (L), -0.03 deg (R)

Does this seem alright, or is it all whacked out now?

Last edited by blazzin1; 04-19-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Entered the "before" numbers the first time, fixed now!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
What were the alignment specs you wanted?They should not have had to drill out the holes to get those front camber numbers. I was slammed 1.4" and still got -1.0" camber with the stock holes.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargomike View Post
Where did you go ?
United Automotive behind the new J.L. Beers on 13th Ave. They were recommended to me for a "performance" alignment from the guys at TintMasters. Obviously now, I would not recommend them!!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
CBRTRX

Drives: 2015 CAMARO 1LE
Yea there is plenty of camber adjustment in the front of these cars, they shouldn't have needed to drill anything. Also you should have more camber in the front then the back, according to your specs you posted they did it opposite.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
They really did not drill...just more of widening of the slots that are already there...and yes it is a common practice if done correctly....meaning not overdoing it and making the hloes to large..
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
blazzin1

Oooops! I accidentally put the "before" numbers in my post above!! It's fixed now.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
They wouldn't have messed with the spindles, what they did was elongate the slots in the strut where they attach to the spindle. This is common practice in strut vehicles and most shops will not even think twice about doing it to get the proper specs. Some cars don't have adjustment and this is the only way to get camber adjustability. The OE strut manufacturers design the mounts with enough meat in this area specifically for this. Alignment guides even give instruction to this in most applications. That being said, there is a difference in slotting a $80 OE strut and slotting a $2k coil over without asking. I don't have personal experience with the Pfadts coil-overs but I am sure they designed them to provide sufficient camber adjustment for the ride height capabilities of their coil-over...
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
They wouldn't have messed with the spindles, what they did was elongate the slots in the strut where they attach to the spindle. This is common practice in strut vehicles and most shops will not even think twice about doing it to get the proper specs. Some cars don't have adjustment and this is the only way to get camber adjustability. The OE strut manufacturers design the mounts with enough meat in this area specifically for this. Alignment guides even give instruction to this in most applications. That being said, there is a difference in slotting a $80 OE strut and slotting a $2k coil over without asking. I don't have personal experience with the Pfadts coil-overs but I am sure they designed them to provide sufficient camber adjustment for the ride height capabilities of their coil-over...
Thanks for the explanation BMR Guy. I must have had the "before" numbers in that previous post when you first read it, it's fixed now, and the front Camber reading are more in line with what I requested. But now I'm even more pissed that they would elongate the holes on my $2100 Coilovers without asking!!! I'm just so shocked that they would not even call me first. I don't know what the heck I can do about it now?!?!? Any suggestions, or just deal with it???
Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
speak to a manager, or owner, it is not right that they did this, companies like pfadt, pedders and the others design the struts with aligment in mind there is deffinitly enough room there id say he needs to make good onit
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
I am sure they did not even know that you had coilovers on her...they just assumed that they were the stock shocks and went to grinding....DOH!....