Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Forced induction help/advice!

*originally posted in v8 forced induction section*

Well, I've been trying to figure out all my options for my car for forced induction. I'm in Florida right now, so i can do whatever i want but in a few years i plan to move to San Diego, and CA has extreme limitations on car mods:(

Ideal: Hellion Twin turbo
backup: Edelbrock (supposedly 50 state legal soon)

Can I mod it in FL and someone get around the CA laws when i move there and register it?

Can i continue to register it in FL while i live in CA? (If i chose not to sell my house in FL, i'm not sure if owning a home here would help)

i've been trying to find info on what classifies your residency as-per home ownership/employment/time in state....and it seems each state is different

I'd prefer to do this 100% legally. but if i can still manage to do it in the gray area I'll probably be ok with that
Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
SSMINNOW

Drives: Hellion twin turbo 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

Well, I've been trying to figure out all my options for my car for forced induction. I'm in Florida right now, so i can do whatever i want but in a few years i plan to move to San Diego, and CA has extreme limitations on car mods:(

Can I mod it in FL and someone get around the CA laws when i move there and register it?

Can i continue to register it in FL while i live in CA? (If i chose not to sell my house in FL, i'm not sure if owning a home here would help)

i've been trying to find info on what classifies your residency as-per home ownership/employment/time in state....and it seems each state is different

I'd prefer to do this 100% legally. but if i can still manage to do it in the gray area I'll probably be ok with that

If you keep it registered in Fla im not sure what CA can do. For what its worth.........
SSMINNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
true, but i have to claim residency in what state or the other (for tax purposes mainly) and if i work in CA i'm supposed to claim residency there and register my vehicle there.

but if i own a home in florida, i should be able to claim that as my residency, but i'm not too sure.

anyone have a list of CARB approved parts for our cars?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
You should try asking Tribone or Mindz, or some of the other guys here that are boosting.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Jay2SS109
Redemption

Drives: .

Last edited by Jay2SS109; 06-25-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Jay2SS109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:

I have a couple friends that have houses is Arizona and Texas. They live here and file taxes here but they're car is registered in Arizona or Texas, and their driver's license is issued from that state as well.

Not sure what the stipulations are, but they're doing it. Honestly the best resource would be the DMV (just don't tell them about wanting to do "illegal" mods of course )

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Kb is in the final process of getting their Supercharger 50 state legal.

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
Ca is seriously teritorrial and crazy to boot, you are supposed to have it registered here, many don't, however if you don't you risk getting tickets. To give you an example of CA's craziness, I am/was an az resident and lived in AZ but was an airline pilot stationed in CA, according to law Iust pay CA income taxes since I pass through ca for work, even though I live in AZ andy company hq was in UT, mow I'm in the military and still keep AZ registration and lic but decided to just pay ca taxes to make it easier
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
Oh yeah and to actually answr your question, slap a HSW 125 shot of n2o on it and call it a day, extremly easy to install/tune and remove so no worying about CARB crap
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Jon@MagnaCharger

Drives: Anything Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2SS109 View Post
So far, I dont think there are ANY carb approved and certified parts.

You can get away with having it registered in FLA, but its "technically" not legal, if you are a resident here. But there are 1000's of people that do it.

That will keep you out of the smog station, but wont protect you if the CHP asks you to open the hood....

J
FYI, our TVS2300 System is CARB legal.
Jon@MagnaCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@MagnaCharger View Post
FYI, our TVS2300 System is CARB legal.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Sales@Hennessey

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Sales@Hennessey
Wink

Quote:

The only CARB approved kit on the market is the Magnuson Kit as Joe mentioned. If you would like assistance on the SMOG checks and CARB information, give me a call at the office. We have all the details on building vehicles within CA or shipping to CA. We have an office about 90 miles north of San Diego in a town called Lake Forest as well.

Speak to you soon,
James
Sales@Hennessey is offline   Reply With Quote