Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
jtbravo

Drives: 2011 LS
C.A.I. has the cleanest factory look. If you show your car, I recommend it. Even the classic car guys like it. I don't necessarily trust VARARAM if you live somewhere that gets a hard rain every now and then... but then again I have never ran a vararam and have not heard complaints of locking up a motor on it. The other thing I worry about with vararam is the black airflow piece that covers part of the radiator. IMO lots of engineering has gone into these cars and if the production engineers didn't cover up a certain area it might need that airflow.

If you want true cold air you need to get something that pulls below the engine bay, like injen or AEM brute force, however, hydro-lock is definitely in the back of my mind... I did this on an import with an AEM CAI. $2500 later and a weekend spent I had a new engine and one with a spun bearing and a useless crank. I gave a considerable amount of thought into AEM but after talking to their engineers and finding out a bypass valve was impossible I passed.

BBK Long Tube, HF Cat, RX ICE-Olator, RX OCC, C.A.I Intake, ADM Scoop,
ROTO-fab washer relocator, Hurst short throw, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, VMAX TB;
ENKEI RAIJIN 19x9.5; HANKOOK Ventus V12 evo2 275/35zr/19

Coming soon... HPtuner... I hope...

Last edited by jtbravo; 03-17-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: After thought.
jtbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #16
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
After talking to more than a couple of vendors and members, I'm very interested in Cold Air Inductions and will likely be going that route unless my friend who sells SLP gives me an irresistible deal on a Blackwing Stage 2. I have seen numbers for Injen that beat everything out there, but I haven't seen the conditions that led to those numbers, nor am I impressed with a product that's only a couple of horsepower different than one with countless good reviews.

If CAI doesn't inspire you, consider Roto-Fab or Airaid. Both are excellent options.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
Someone should REDO the above comparison chart to include ALL of the different CAI that are available NOW. That chart is outdated and does not include Vararam or Roto-Fab, to name just a couple.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #18
sappy

Drives: white 2011 1lt
roto-fab
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 AM   #19
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoolBreeze View Post
Someone should REDO the above comparison chart to include ALL of the different CAI that are available NOW. That chart is outdated and does not include Vararam or Roto-Fab, to name just a couple.

Walt B.

Very true, would love to see it updated, but that cost money and time, and most vendors really can't be bothered. At the time this chart was done, it was the best thing going for comparisions for our V6 choices. Vararam did not even come out with their prodcut for an entire year after this test was performed. Guess they missed the boat on this one. Imigane all the sales they could have gotten.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoolBreeze View Post

Walt B.
He asked for approval from all of the manufacturers before including their systems in the test. He never named names but several did not want their systems included. It would be interesting to see a new round of tests done though.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #21
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Here is a pic of mine with the CAI inc. I love it. Good luck deciding.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #22
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Because you have a pre-2012, I would definitely say get the Vararam intake.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
I bought a Roto-Fab and love the look and performance!!!
Attached Images

CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #24
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
[QUOTE=rtcat600man;7492541]INJEN long tube is what I bought 4 years ago, based on the following info at the time. At the time shipped to the house for $273. There are some used ones for sale every now and then in the for sale section of the forums. Besides, then you can paint it and create a unique engine bay.

Attachment 607624

Impressive work. Help me out with what I'm looking at. Fuel trim? Lb air? IAT?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #25
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Personally, I wouldn't dare put an Injen long tube on my car if there was a possibility of moderate or heavy rain. I have the sock on it and I will still get a CEL with mis-fires. There have been one or two that had their cars towed. Do a search on here about it

Memeber HawkFe : Heavy rain this morning and had issues.... Since it's may DD it raised some concern. Engine lost power, CEL (Misfire Cyl 5 & 6)

Member AdamChoudhry had his car towed

Member GoBigBlue1152: I had the long tube on my 2011 rs. Twice I had it suck up some water and cause some misfires and funky ness with the engine. I had to pull over turn it off, let the car sit and start it back up. But worked fine after that. I live in Florida and these were some pretty massive rains, I always tried to avoid puddles but this was just soooo much heavy rain. Only happened twice during the 2.5 years I had it. My 2014 I decided to go with a rotofab.

Last edited by PieNsky; 07-15-2014 at 04:57 PM.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #26
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI

http://roto-fab.com/Camaro_V6.html
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #27
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Volant CAI

I have the Volant CAI on my Camaro. This is a old picture, but I noticed a difference in throttle response in my car when I pressed on the pedal.
Attached Images

DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #28
The_Grinch

Drives: car
Name:  EngineBay.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  195.2 KB

Vararam for me I would not hesitate to buy one again. Second Choice would be the Cold Air Inductions intake.
The_Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote