Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
fleebag

Drives: Moneypit
Ideas on belt jumping

Been battling the serpentine belt walking forward. Just converted to new tensioner and all pulleys seem to be lined up. Using 8 rib belt now since I keep having issue. This shows me revving it to around 4500. The belt walk fwd real quick.
All advice welcome

http://vid20.photobucket.com/albums/...psba7b1e22.mp4

Last edited by fleebag; 08-24-2014 at 08:15 AM.
fleebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
It's always one of two things. Alignment or tension.

A lack of both.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
fleebag

Thanks and I think something with alignment. Belt is super tight and just installed new tensioner. For odd reason it jumps at the crank and all other pulleys it stays to the rear.

Maybe a stupid question but since my block is an LSX iron block is that any different than LS3 block as far as Harmonic Balancer? Would the offset be different for that shortblock setup?
If I run the 8 rib belt on the 10 rib crank once it jumps to the center I am fine. Then I can rev past 5k and belt doesn't move again at least not yet lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
stevieturbo

If the belt isnt getting damaged and you arent experiencing slip, then I'd just run it and not worry too much about it. If the belt is happy running in that position, just let it do so.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Which tensioner did you install? I put on jre super tensioner and i still get slip. Belt is tight so idk might be my tensioner, that thing moves way to much while driving at different speeds.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
SannerRacing

Drives: 2010 1SS RS IOM
Is that a innovative west balancer ? If it is I tried one and it shreades the ac belt after about 20 miles are so. Sent it back three times to have it checked out and still did it so I put the stock balancer back on and no problems.

Forged LS3 416ci, Maggie TVS2300 @ 13lbs boost, McCleod twin disc clutch, GForce 1320 nine-inch 389 gear ratio, Hurst line-lock, 750 whp 700 wtq
SannerRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
fleebag

Yes it's an IWest 10OD. I did not get the heavy duty hub option so now I will remove and check it over.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
Warhorse

Drives: 2011 Syn Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebag View Post
Yes it's an IWest 10OD. I did not get the heavy duty hub option so now I will remove and check it over.
Did you ever find the problem with the belt moving to front of crank pulley?
I have a 10 rib set up and the last few months belt has started jumping ribs front ward and shredding ribs as it goes. It started this after being perfect for 13K miles with same setup. I have now been changing pulleys, idlers , power steering pumps, alternators, new HD Lingenfelter Tensioner, hardened bolts, etc. It has always had the Innovative West crank balancer 10%OD. Has anyone ever experienced this? Everything has been replaced EXCEPT crank balancer. All pulleys are in perfect alignment and nothing is visibly wrong with crank balancer.
Has anyone ever experienced crank walk to the extent that would cause this?
I just replaced the air conditioner (stretch to fit) belt last night and another new Green Stripe Micro V 10 rib belt and first pull 2nd -3rd with nitrous moved belt forward a rib again. Once it does this the belt is no longer any good. This time I noticed my NEW air conditioner belt was also walking forward. Hell, I've spent 1.5K on belts alone in 4 months. Would I have not experienced total engine failure before crank could have moved anywhere near enough to be the cause of problem?
5th Gen Camaro, 430ci LSx, Ported Mast 280's, E85 Flex fuel, ID1300's, Squash return, TVS 2300 w/Nitrous Outlet 250 Shot Direct Port, Nano, LPE 10/14 Rib, OD Crank, OD Rear, 2.8" upper, RDS Plate, NW102, 5" Intake, 2" ARH, PATC Built A6, BMR 15" Brake Conv. w/Drag Suspension, Front QA1 DA's, Weld S76 beadlocks & "V" Series fronts. STILL 1k too heavy!!!

Last edited by Warhorse; 01-10-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Laser alignment first, then replace or check tensioner.

I run a 10 rib IW west on my setup and it has never caused an issue. What has is the PS pulley out of alignment, the blower pulley out of alignment, the tensioner idler out of alignment. You need to get a gates laser system and align everything perfect.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
Warhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Laser alignment first, then replace or check tensioner.

I run a 10 rib IW west on my setup and it has never caused an issue. What has is the PS pulley out of alignment, the blower pulley out of alignment, the tensioner idler out of alignment. You need to get a gates laser system and align everything perfect.
Alignment spot on all. Is there any chance the crank balancer is going bad. If so, could it even cause this problem? I'm to a point of burning car to ground.
5th Gen Camaro, 430ci LSx, Ported Mast 280's, E85 Flex fuel, ID1300's, Squash return, TVS 2300 w/Nitrous Outlet 250 Shot Direct Port, Nano, LPE 10/14 Rib, OD Crank, OD Rear, 2.8" upper, RDS Plate, NW102, 5" Intake, 2" ARH, PATC Built A6, BMR 15" Brake Conv. w/Drag Suspension, Front QA1 DA's, Weld S76 beadlocks & "V" Series fronts. STILL 1k too heavy!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
stevieturbo

If it was going bad and causing misalignment then yes.

But that goes back to alignment.

Either that or tension problems.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
When you laser aligned it did you calibrate the tool at 8-9ft? The normal 2-3ft they suggest isn't far enough.

If you didn't do that, then you can't say alignment is spot on.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
SannerRacing

Drives: 2010 1SS RS IOM
Belt issues

On mine I only had issues with the AC belt tearing up. Alinment was perfect and still derailed so we put a belt on that was a half inch shorter and its been on ever since.

Forged LS3 416ci, Maggie TVS2300 @ 13lbs boost, McCleod twin disc clutch, GForce 1320 nine-inch 389 gear ratio, Hurst line-lock, 750 whp 700 wtq
SannerRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
Warhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
If it was going bad and causing misalignment then yes.

But that goes back to alignment.

Either that or tension problems.
Have replaced Lingenfelter HD tensioner with a new LPE one. (Same tensioner)
Crank Balancer appears to be turning without any front/rear wobble or movement.
All ribbed pulleys (Power Steering pump, alternator, blower drive and tensioner) were all aligned to the crank pulley. Once all ribbed pulleys were aligned, Water pump pulley, Idlers (Idler located on TVS slider adjustment, idler between crank and alternator and 100mm Idler between tensioner and crank were all installed and either shimmed or spacers milled to provide equal clearance at belt sides (belt rides in the middle between sides)

Has anyone ever had an IW 10% OD crank balancer go bad? Not trying to point fingers at any component manufacturer, just looking for answers. Every thing will wear over time. Seems to be the only component NOT changed or removed. Just cant seem to see any abnormal movement from it. Further, it is the only thing in common with the 10 rib belt setup and air conditioner belt where I noticed it also has moved forward in one 2nd-3rd gear pull after both belts were replaced new just minutes before test run.