Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Cat back exhaust system survey

Hi everyone, this is my first thread, hope I get a lot of response.

I'm looking forward to my 2SS/RS arriving (guess it's the ultimate stocking stuffer?).

I have scoured the threads on exhaust trying to make up my mind which cat back system to get. I've narrowed it down to 2 systems, but would sure like some help from the initiated amongst you for feedback on how you like your exhaust systems. The 2 that I have in mind are:

1. Borla Street Series w/ X-pipe. I like the Bolra for their their throaty and deep note, but I'm not sure if it is loud enough. How many owners of this system wished it was louder?

2. Magnaflow Competition Series 2.5" pipes w/ muffler delete. I'm worried that this setup will be too loud (100+db??). How many owners of this system think it's too loud?

The main reason for my indecision is I don't know which one will provide the better exhaust note. I know this is subjective, but I'm hoping statistics and numbers will help me decide. I've had aftermarket exhaust on almost all my vehicles and from hearing the stock Camaros in the showrooms, this is definitely the first mod for me. BUT the Youtube vids and other posts do not do justice to what each system can sound like. Therefore, your input is greatly appreciated and anticipated.

Thanks all for your time.
Tom
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
I recommend the comp series. I have it. I love it. You'll love the sound and you will not regret the purchase.

Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
Not sure about the magnaflow and corsa system but after doing my research I got the Dynaflow racing headers and a full racing MBRP exhaust and will be installing them tomorrow. I'll post video after the install is complete.

Cheers
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I'm still trying to decide which one to get also, I want it to be way louder than the factory exhaust.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I'm still trying to decide which one to get also, I want it to be way louder than the factory exhaust.
From what I've heard, the Magnaflow Competition series with muffler delete is one of the louder systems out there. I want to stick with 2.5" exhaust since I'm not doing any motor mods. A smaller exhaust will preserve low end torque.

Thanks for the post so far, keep 'em coming!!

Tom
Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eynigush View Post
I recommend the comp series. I have it. I love it. You'll love the sound and you will not regret the purchase.

Eddie
Thanks Eddie! This is exactly the type of response I'm looking for. It'll help my decision making for sure.

Tom
Old 12-18-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
I would look around, Solo makes an outstanding Stainless steel cat back, you did not mention if it was M6 or A6. Solo Makes a specific exhaust for each. Not one exhaust fits all. Fit and finish is top notch, sound is deep and exotic, and price is one of the best around. Check out Solo Performance. Look in the vendor bolt on area- there is numerous sound files of their exhaust. The below is my car, SS A6 with solo mach x cat back.

I have no affiliation other then I bought one and am super happy!
Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
formaxboxers

Drives: Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzodarg View Post
I would look around, Solo makes an outstanding Stainless steel cat back, you did not mention if it was M6 or A6. Solo Makes a specific exhaust for each. Not one exhaust fits all. Fit and finish is top notch, sound is deep and exotic, and price is one of the best around. Check out Solo Performance. Look in the vendor bolt on area- there is numerous sound files of their exhaust. The below is my car, SS A6 with solo mach x cat back.

I have no affiliation other then I bought one and am super happy!
Mike
I have to concure completely, very nice looking everyone that see's it loves it and the sound absolutly fantastic. And the customer service is the best. I have the M6 and it is just a WOW factor, defenitly turns heads when getting on it. I wouldn't change it for nothing.

Got screwed by original dealer in Eufuala, Oklahoma on November 3, 2009.
Found new one at Paddock Chevrolet and drove 2400 miles roundtrip to pick her up in Buffalo, New York on Nov. 5, 2009.
formaxboxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first thread, hope I get a lot of response.

I'm looking forward to my 2SS/RS arriving (guess it's the ultimate stocking stuffer?).

I have scoured the threads on exhaust trying to make up my mind which cat back system to get. I've narrowed it down to 2 systems, but would sure like some help from the initiated amongst you for feedback on how you like your exhaust systems. The 2 that I have in mind are:

1. Borla Street Series w/ X-pipe. I like the Bolra for their their throaty and deep note, but I'm not sure if it is loud enough. How many owners of this system wished it was louder?

2. Magnaflow Competition Series 2.5" pipes w/ muffler delete. I'm worried that this setup will be too loud (100+db??). How many owners of this system think it's too loud?

The main reason for my indecision is I don't know which one will provide the better exhaust note. I know this is subjective, but I'm hoping statistics and numbers will help me decide. I've had aftermarket exhaust on almost all my vehicles and from hearing the stock Camaros in the showrooms, this is definitely the first mod for me. BUT the Youtube vids and other posts do not do justice to what each system can sound like. Therefore, your input is greatly appreciated and anticipated.

Thanks all for your time.
Tom
Hi Tom,

Given your 2 choices and since you're not planning on doing headers I'd go with the Magnaflow Comp Series part # 16580. I also really like the sound and performance of the 3" system part # 16483, we've actually had power gains pretty much on par with the 2.5" system. The real restriction and where most of your back pressure is coming from is the exhaust manifolds and factory converters. What this means is the 3" system doesn't really cost you any low end torque for this reason. I'm my opinion the 3" system with the true X-Pipe and rear mufflers is basically in between the choices you listed. We've actually got a huge Christmas Special going right now. If you're interest the coupon code for either system is CrazyDeal.

Part # 16483 bolted up to factory converters. This system is 100% bolt-on and you can keep your factory exhaust Intact if you wanted to...

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions or for pricing info! Have a Happy Holiday and good luck on your decision!

Kind regards,

Last edited by JDP Motorsports; 12-18-2009 at 09:20 PM.
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
I dont think anyone's done this header/exhaust combo: I took a down and dirty video tonight on my Droid so all apologies for the poor audio/vid quality

Airaid CAI
Dynatech Supermaxx Longflow Headers with catted midpipe
MBRP full racing exhaust
Hurst SS

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Aftermarket exhaust catback wont be that much louder than stock, sounds different for sure though.

Have you gave Corsa any thoughts?
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley78 View Post
Aftermarket exhaust catback wont be that much louder than stock, sounds different for sure though.
really ?
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Solo

It is much louder then stock. Solo is a muffler delete with just a x-over resonater. WOT is awesome. Plus you loose the weight of mufflers.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzodarg View Post
Mike
It will be a M6. Are there known issues with certain kits and transmission types?