Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Plexus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3
What should I do?

Well, I didn't want my first post since getting my Camaro to be negative but my luck has gotten the best of me. So, a couple weekends ago I picked up my first car bought myself, a 2011 Camaro 2SS. I went out to wash it Friday and I get a "Service Parking Assist" chime then try to start the car and it won't even turn over. I get the car towed to a dealership and they're saying the computer system was shorted out. I wasn't too worried about it since I purchased the GM Protection Plus Major Guard warranty for used cars. But it turns out the subwoofer that was in the trunk when I bought the car had shorted out the computer system which voided my warranty I had just bought. I finally got the car back today after having to pay about 720 dollars for the new computer system and labor. I know there are risks buying used cars but since I had just barely bought the car am I wrong in asking the dealer I bought it from what they can do for me? I'd just like ya'lls opinions, Thanks.
Plexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
They should refund the warranty you bought if they voided it that fast.

Man that sucks! Good luck!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Read the warranty, every word. Then look and see if you signed an as-is form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Yes, you should ask. If that came from my dealership, we would do something- not sure what, but something. We always insist that we do the repair to get 100% compensated though. There's probably no way they would have known it would short out, but they should want to throw you a bone of some kind. The warranty isn't void, it just didn't apply to that repair.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Aftermarket or OEM subwoffer?
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
May want to think about dumping that warranty and get your funds returned.
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
Aftermarket or OEM subwoffer?
This. If it's aftermarket, out of pocket. OEM sub, warrant covered.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #8
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
They didn't void the warranty they just voided this particular claim.

#2 as far as getting a break from them. They have a saying that doesn't go like this, but "if you don't ask you won't receive."

Ask the sales department though, go to them and say "You know I just bought this car from you and money is real tight, $700 is really breaking me and I was wondering if there is anything you can do?" They have some wiggle room, could probably knock a couple hundred bucks off at least.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:28 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I'd be more inclined to go to the finance guy (who sold you the warranty) and say "Look, I just bought this car from you and the computer died. The car is exactly how it was when I bought it and assuming you did a full certified inspection of the car, and I have done nothing to the car, it's not my fault the computer crapped out. I think you should cover the repair so I don't have to tell everyone I know not to buy a car from your dealership".
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:40 AM   #10
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I'd be more inclined to go to the finance guy (who sold you the warranty) and say "Look, I just bought this car from you and the computer died. The car is exactly how it was when I bought it and assuming you did a full certified inspection of the car, and I have done nothing to the car, it's not my fault the computer crapped out. I think you should cover the repair so I don't have to tell everyone I know not to buy a car from your dealership".

+1 ...

I think the dealership should fix it free of charge. If nothing else, they should only charge the guy cost on the computer, and no labor.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:41 AM   #11
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
I agree. If you have just purchased the car, and the problem was caused by equipment on the car as you purchased it, our dealership would at least help with part of the repair through our in dealership used car warranty. Ask them for some assistance. GM dealers are usually interested in our customers' satisfaction.
fhrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:51 AM   #12
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
This.

You bought a warranty. You had the car ONE day and had a problem. I don't care what it was or what caused it, a reputable dealer would take care of you. I wouldn't give them one extra dime.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #13
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
I would go to the dealership.. You only had it a couple of weeks, and the unit was in there when you bought it? They should help out...

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #14
Stecky

Drives: 0000
They sold it to you with the that in the car.
Perhaps they didn't know it was there.
Now that both of you about it, they offer a cost on replacing the sub-woffer, or did they give it back to you knowing it will happen again.
If that is the cause of the problem, how did they resolve it?

Disconnect the speaker for now. If it happens again, then you will know that it was all BS.
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote