Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Update:

Blower has arrived at KDi for porting. Headers on their way to Swain Tech. Currently KDi is working on custom cam grind for Mast medium bore LS3 heads.

Hoping to bring it all together over the next few weeks...
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
HOLY HELL THAT THING IS BIG!!!

Subscribed

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
jdsgn

Drives: 87 GN, 05 GTO
are there any worries of overheating with the big heat exchanger in front of the radiator? My Buick GN runs considerably warmer on summer days with my FMIC intercooler in front despite the upgraded 4500 cfm electric fans and better radiator. Good luck with the build and I look forward to the results.
jdsgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Overheating is one of the first things I'm going to watch out for. Being in Arizona and doing this project in the summer should make for a good test environment. Luckily getting the nose off of the Camaro isn't too much of an ordeal so I can get back in there and change the HX or add fans, etc if need be. I'll post the results!

Installed Aeroforce gauges prior to the teardown and logged ambient, IAT, and IAT2 temps before. Will compare those to after...

Last edited by 1st Gen Forever; 07-07-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Figured an update was in order in case anyone is actually following this.

This build has grown quite larger than I initially planned. Once I realized I wouldn't make Camaro5 Fest, I decided to go all the way with this thing. Exhaust has delayed me farther since Swaintech has a large number of exhaust jobs right now so I'm not looking at getting everything ready for the tune until Aug 25th. I am looking forward to seeing how the Swaintech coating affects temps though!

Mast should be shipping my heads today I hope. I'm going with their medium bore LS3 heads. Many folks have asked me why I didn't go with porting the stock heads. I went back and forth on that and finally decided to spend the little extra on the Mast so I have the stock to go back to if I want at some later date. The LSA heads are a little unique and porting usually removes the internal swirl wing.

The blower porting should be finished soon. KDi is porting it for a 102mm throttle body and they're also having a cam custom ground to the flow of the Mast heads. hoping to be going back together with everything but the exhaust by late July, early August.

And for those freaking out over me drilling holes in my cowl, the pic below shows my solution after the blower is re-installed. All of it will be hidden from view as well below the plastic cowl coverings at the base of the windshield under the rear of the hood.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

SWEET!!!

On those Masts (BTW - for which I'm STUPID-JEALOUS ), are you going with the standard valve layout (12-degree) or splayed valve? I've been wondering about the splayed valve, myself, and was just curious?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

12-degree. I don't think the splayed valve is available in a medium bore. I am however going with the standard 4-bolt. Not the 6-bolt. They just shipped their last 6-bolt until they get a new batch and I doubt I'll be building an RHS or LSX block for this car and pushing crazy boost so the 4-bolt should be fine.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Oh... I've be trying to follow those splayed but just can't seem to find a resource. I'm thinking that I won't need the 6-bolt either, and a lot of that is because I know I won't need them power-wise and because of the stealth factor. I have emissions testing I have to worry about, so I need to look legal and pass the sniffer when my time comes.

I'm looking forward to your progress Thanks for sharing. Know that at least I'll be following

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #23
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....the mod's are like eating potato chips...you just can't have one..., I dig your project OP...can't wait to see the end result. It's gonna haul...!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
Keep those pics coming!
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Guess what showed up from Fed Ex today...

Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

MOARH PICS'!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'm sorry if you mentioned this already somewhere else, but why are you sticking with the 1900? Will a ported 1900 flow better than a stock 2300 from ZR1? Just curious

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

I'll get some better pics of those heads up tonight. Been at work today when they showed up.

I don't know if I'll stick with the 1900 long term. Figured I'd do what I can with it then maybe consider a Whipple later. I imagine KDi will release a Whipple kit sometime before too long...