Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Lutz: GM still committed to building cars people want, incluidng Camaro

I think this goes just beyond the current generation car. The Camaro name plate may be here to stay this time...

Quote:
As Lutz predicted despite GM's current financial woes and the upcoming more stringent fuel-economy rules, the automaker's future product portfolio will still include a full range of cars, sports cars, like the Chevrolet Corvette and Chevrolet Camaro (which gets a convertible version for 2011), SUVs and trucks.

Those will be sold alongside more hybrids -- both mild and full -- and more Chevrolet Volt-type vehicles, including the Opel Ampera. Lutz said GM assumes that even with a new partner for its German subsidiary Opel, vehicles will be shared, including the Opel Ampera, a version of the Volt that will be built in Michigan and shipped to Europe
http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/05/...owerhouse.html
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Same thing some of us have been saying. Instead of running around like "Chicken Little"
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
"Imminent GM bankruptcy was always fiction, created by Wall Street and the media."
-Robert Lutz

"People who think it doesn't matter who owns our auto industry are flat wrong."
-Robert Lutz

I love Maximum Bob- but he ain't in charge and he says lots of things.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
"Imminent GM bankruptcy was always fiction, created by Wall Street and the media."
-Robert Lutz

"People who think it doesn't matter who owns our auto industry are flat wrong."
-Robert Lutz

I love Maximum Bob- but he ain't in charge and he says lots of things.
Well I'll tell you this much; he knows a helluva lot more than you and I do. And being that he's still one of the big guys on top I wouldn't bet against him. Besides this isn't politics we're talking this is product. I think the government in many instances has and can be overzealous through policies and so forth, but it appears at the very least they'll let the people who know how to design and develop products do just that and not interfere with what Uncle Sam thinks he knows the American car buyer wants. He doesn't.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

BUMP

Just found this is the open dialogue series Henderson has been doing with the public...

Quote:
Keeping the Conversation Open

By Fritz Henderson
President and CEO

Thanks to our FastLane readers for your comments on my post yesterday. I’ve reviewed the comments as they’ve come in and added my thoughts. I haven’t answered them all, but will do my best to keep the information coming.

“Mr. Henderson, After your announcement that Pontiac would be no more, and that there weren’t any more Pontiac G8’s coming from Australia, I put my money where my mouth is and purchased a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (driving to MI from WI to get the color and options I wanted). I have owned nothing but GM cars for the nearly 30 years I have been driving. The G8 GT represents the best GM vehicle I have ever owned. In just over three weeks of ownership I have 2700 miles on the car - I just can’t stop driving it. What an indictment of old GM that they had a vehicle so fantastic, and they could not find a way to market or sell it/make it a success.

I know you have also stated that the G8 won’t be rebadged as another manufacturer’s car (i.e. a Chevrolet). Might I ask you to reconsider. Find a way to take Holden’s next-generation VE platform vehicle, call it the new Chevy Impala, build it at Oshawa alongside the Camaro, and keep the people like me happy.

No economical RWD sedans = no more new GM purchases for me (sorry, a starting-at-$37K CTS isn’t in my price range new). I recognize the problems the new CAFE regulations will present, but there is still a several year window of time to sell a ton of these vehicles (including police/taxi fleets who will have fewer choices when Ford discontinues the elderly Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car platform). I know fleet ain’t great, but I think you’d sell a ton of these to regular folks, too (what’s the fleet penetration of the current long-in-the-tooth Impala?). Build these on the Flex line at Oshawa, with a mix of models like Holden does (V6, V8, lux, sport, et. al.) and you’ll have a winner on your hands. The platform is simply too good to ignore, going forward. To do so would be incredibly foolish.”
-Robert Hammen

Robert, I appreciate your comment. Certainly, the G8 is going to be one of the Pontiacs we’ll miss. But, we haven’t closed the door on RWD now or in the future. You point out both the Camaro, which is definitely in the mainstream price range of today’s cars, and the CTS, which is an amazing value in the luxury sport segment. As we map out our future vehicle needs, if we can find the right opportunity and price point to do a world-class RWD car, you can bet we’ll consider it.
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...tion_open.html
Old 06-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
The question is not if we'll have a Camaro but rather, what will be under its hood.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Same thing some of us have been saying.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
The question is not if we'll have a Camaro but rather, what will be under its hood.
Something powerful and efficient. May not be an 8 and I'd be ok with that. As times change so do expectations from consumers, and right now high on the list of most car buyers is fuel efficiency and environmental compatibility. So whatever GM does from here on out must reflect the interest of the consumer. If the top of the line Camaro was an SS with a twin-turbo 3.6 DI V6 I'd happily sign up.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Instead of running around like "Chicken Little"

Think I'll stay out of your fridge...
Old 06-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Something powerful and efficient. May not be an 8 and I'd be ok with that. As times change so do expectations from consumers, and right now high on the list of most car buyers is fuel efficiency and environmental compatibility. So whatever GM does from here on out must reflect the interest of the consumer. If the top of the line Camaro was an SS with a twin-turbo 3.6 DI V6 I'd happily sign up.
no you shouldn't be ok with that...the government is limiting your choices in the name of something that isn't proven scientifically...you should be flaming mad

times aren't changing ...there is no need to over regulate our mpg standards...let markets decide that...not central government planners
Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #11
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
no you shouldn't be ok with that...the government is limiting your choices in the name of something that isn't proven scientifically...you should be flaming mad

times aren't changing ...there is no need to over regulate our mpg standards...let markets decide that...not central government planners
I hear you. Global Warming for sure can't be made fact because it can't actually be replicated through scientific experiment, it will probably remain forever theory that many people including the entire U.S. government appear to have latched onto. But this is very much beyond environmental...$4/gallon gas, rising oil prices are enough for the government to find ways to lessen our dependency on imported foreign oil from politically volatile countries, at least in consideration to their relations to the U.S. So mandating manufactures of automobiles to build cars that use less of the stuff until we can find something that can be produced domestically to provide for a unique domestic fuel infrastructure of some sort this is what must be done. Sure as hell won't keep me from buying my Camaro SS.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I told you so. Keep the faith.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
I hear you. Global Warming for sure can't be made fact because it can't actually be replicated through scientific experiment, it will probably remain forever theory that many people including the entire U.S. government appear to have latched onto. But this is very much beyond environmental...$4/gallon gas, rising oil prices are enough for the government to find ways to lessen our dependency on imported foreign oil from politically volatile countries, at least in consideration to their relations to the U.S. So mandating manufactures of automobiles to build cars that use less of the stuff until we can find something that can be produced domestically to provide for a unique domestic fuel infrastructure of some sort this is what must be done. Sure as hell won't keep me from buying my Camaro SS.
Quoted for truth. Although I'd rather they use that new small block sized diesel V8. I mean, the original muscle car movement was when they started putting what were truck engines into mid-size cars - why not do the same thing now? Its the diesels that are the truck engines now (with the exception of VW et. al.), so lets just respark the revolution that way.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

^ Very good point. I think pulling/using some of the light duty diesel truck engine would be ideal. Don't know if there is a cost or emissions hurdle to overcome to make this idea viable business-wise but it provides a chance for GM and the other two to show some sort of innovation by sticking a fuel efficient diesel engine in something other than a truck.