Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #645
Wyatt Stephens

Drives: 2013 Camaro
front end clunk

Hi folks-- I'm new to the site. Got my 2013 v-6 a few weeks ago, and almost immediately found it had the clunk you guys are talking about. The dealership people are great-- so far they have changed the front struts twice, but the clunk is still there. I emailed them a copy of the Camaro5 discussion and not only do they like it but also sent it up the line to the next level. I'm pretty much ready to go with what I have, and my agency and service people could not be greater--but my car is leased which limits what I can have done myself I suppose, and it really isn't too bad-- but if there is a movement afoot to try to make Chevrolet do something I want to know and I will definitely join in.
Wyatt Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #646
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfanru2 View Post
Well they worked on my car. Replaced upper mounts like the bulletin said but it still pops really bad. I can not believe more people are not complaining about this. At slow speeds while going over small bumps in my driveway it sounds like the front end is falling apart. The service guy at my dealer drove it and he agrees it sounds really bad, but thinks new struts would do the same thing until they are redesigned. We will have to keep pushing for this or they will do nothing. I hate driving this great looking car that sounds like a piece of crap after 6000 miles. I do not think a 40000 car should sound worse than my dodge pickup. HaHa not laughing.
just jump a few curbs, that should work it out.
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #647
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Makes me wonder if the parts that were used on my 2012 were these same defective parts from the 13's. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Your dealer should have this information now.

Document ID: 3405388
#PIC5819A
2013 Camaro Built After October 1, 2012

Condition / Concern

On vehicles built after October 1, 2012 a repetitive clicking or popping noise may be heard in the front of the vehicle at low speeds.

Recommendation / Instructions

Replace the front strut or struts. Parts have been revised and all old stock was purged.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT replace the upper mount - it is NOT the cause of the condition.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #648
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Makes me wonder if the parts that were used on my 2012 were these same defective parts from the 13's. Interesting.
Run the TSB by your dealer and see what they say?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #649
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Stephens View Post
Hi folks-- I'm new to the site. Got my 2013 v-6 a few weeks ago, and almost immediately found it had the clunk you guys are talking about. The dealership people are great-- so far they have changed the front struts twice, but the clunk is still there. I emailed them a copy of the Camaro5 discussion and not only do they like it but also sent it up the line to the next level. I'm pretty much ready to go with what I have, and my agency and service people could not be greater--but my car is leased which limits what I can have done myself I suppose, and it really isn't too bad-- but if there is a movement afoot to try to make Chevrolet do something I want to know and I will definitely join in.
Movement such as a class action lawsuit?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #650
blackswan

Quote:
Run the TSB by your dealer and see what they say?
Yes, I sent it to them but I may go back to the dealer I purchased it from with the help of customer service. William has been very helpful. And so have you!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #651
funbun

Drives: 2010 RS
My RS is now exactly four years old. The pop is much worse in the front end, on the right. The good news is, other than what I suspect just may be a blown strut, the stability seems ok. At least the wheel hasn't fallen off. For those familiar with shocks, my car has no " rebound dampening " on this wheel. When it unloads, it hits so hard, you'll swear something is going to break off it next time. I just keep on driving the durn thing, hoping it does break off. Tehe.
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #652
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
Is their a TSB on the 2010's? I noticed it on mine tonight. Big time clunking noise from the passenger front. I have 11K miles on mine.
SinisSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #653
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
A number of threads on this issue so will post on this thread first. My 2011 2LT currently has 8700 K (5402 miles). Almost since new (Aug. 10 was my 3rd yr), when turning sharp in or out of parking spaces could hear I reported "creaking/clunk noise from front end". July 25 took it to dealer & they ordered two front strut mounts to fix "strut mounts binding close to full turns causing popping/creaking type of noise (dealer words)". Part ordered #22802090 (mount 073950). Parts arrived in a few days, was not in a hurry & dropped off Aug. 19. When installing new strut mounts smart service person realized these new mounts were not going to completely solve the issue. They then ordered a 'mount kit' #22843712 (mount kit 07950). Just picked up the Camaro today, no noise at all. They also did a 4-wheel alignment & reset front/rear toe, chamber both sides.
FYI: My noise sounds similar to others on this thread & heard since new & my 2011 2LT built early Aug. 2010 delivered to me Aug. 10, 2010 (note low present mileage). Also note I never heard a pop/clunk going over speed bumps, just when parking at low speed turning in/out of parking spaces. I asked & told there is not a TSB on 2011 models regarding this issue. Hope this info helps others.
Thanks to Myers Chevrolet/Cadillac in Ottawa Ontario for great customer service.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #654
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
very good info....im working with chevy customer service since i bought the car with 10K miles a month ago and the B2B warranty is gone since its a '10. Having issues with the rear brakes squealing now this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
A number of threads on this issue so will post on this thread first. My 2011 2LT currently has 8700 K (5402 miles). Almost since new (Aug. 10 was my 3rd yr), when turning sharp in or out of parking spaces could hear I reported "creaking/clunk noise from front end". July 25 took it to dealer & they ordered two front strut mounts to fix "strut mounts binding close to full turns causing popping/creaking type of noise (dealer words)". Part ordered #22802090 (mount 073950). Parts arrived in a few days, was not in a hurry & dropped off Aug. 19. When installing new strut mounts smart service person realized these new mounts were not going to completely solve the issue. They then ordered a 'mount kit' #22843712 (mount kit 07950). Just picked up the Camaro today, no noise at all. They also did a 4-wheel alignment & reset front/rear toe, chamber both sides.
FYI: My noise sounds similar to others on this thread & heard since new & my 2011 2LT built early Aug. 2010 delivered to me Aug. 10, 2010 (note low present mileage). Also note I never heard a pop/clunk going over speed bumps, just when parking at low speed turning in/out of parking spaces. I asked & told there is not a TSB on 2011 models regarding this issue. Hope this info helps others.
Thanks to Myers Chevrolet/Cadillac in Ottawa Ontario for great customer service.
SinisSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #655
jlauber588

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Your dealer should have this information now.

Document ID: 3405388
#PIC5819A
2013 Camaro Built After October 1, 2012

Condition / Concern

On vehicles built after October 1, 2012 a repetitive clicking or popping noise may be heard in the front of the vehicle at low speeds.

Recommendation / Instructions

Replace the front strut or struts. Parts have been revised and all old stock was purged.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT replace the upper mount - it is NOT the cause of the condition.
I have a 2013 1LE built in may 2013 and Im getting the same noise the difference with mine is that it only happens when the car is cold such as the first start of the day after a cold night and it happens to me when I turn the wheel about 10 degrees. Might this be the same issue? Any other thoughts/questions comments.
jlauber588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #656
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
2012 2LT/RS - Built March 8th, 2012

Experiencing the same knocking / clicking sound from the passenger well. It is worse when it is cold.

Also noticed it only does it when that single tire has weight lifted off of it - if both front tires take a bump or dip in the road no noise. Passenger tire only noise.

Taking it in Wednesday to get it looked at. Also having them fix my blower motor - that went at less than 3000 miles...

I saw two different suggestions in here. One from pedders and one from someone who had theirs fixed at the dealer by tightening the control arm back up to the subframe.

Is there still no - 'for sure' - this is the cause / fix yet?
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #657
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I had thumping/popping noise in the struts more so in the passenger side versus the driver side.Fought with the Dealer and GM until I took those pictures in and question them the new neoprene insulator versus the one that came with the car.
GM even offered me a oil and filter change to try and shut me up,but like I told them keep their oil and filter that won't correct the problem.Anyway after confronting them with this information they finally bit the bullet and change the insulator.If you read earlier threads by me , you will see threads when I was experiencing this issue.
Problem solved ,no more thumping or popping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Hay guys this is some info for you from a friend.

I think there is a potential concern for noise at the upper strut bushing/grommet area. I think GM might call it a strut insulator. I have seen the grommet or insulator separating or starting to peel out. It is pretty easy to spot. Just put the vehicle in the air and with a flashlight, and see if you can see the inner piece separating from the outer grommet. Now I do not know if this is related to a bulletin, PIC5177 dated 6/4/09 that talks about snap or popping noises when turning. This noise can be felt at the top mount when turning either direction. GM says the front mount can become contaminated with road debris and want both mounts replaced. In the picture the part is #4.

So can we have you guys take a peek at this are and report? Maybe this is some of the noises we are seeing.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #658
Mcfly

Drives: 2014 2SS LS3
I had a similar problem, it was more of a clicking noise on the front end, I could hear it when I went over bumps and when I turned the wheel at a stop in either direction. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the stabilizer link and left bearing, I had to pay for the link but the bearing was covered under warranty, my car has 18k miles, I purchased it used with 15k miles. The clicking noise went away but I'm still experiencing a lot of bump steer :/ they say its normal but it can't be! It's a work out driving my car on uneven roads!
Mcfly is offline   Reply With Quote