Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
what to use for Open road events? PD, Centri, turbo

As the title says: which one is the best for open road (silver state or mile type) events?

From what I can gather:

Turbo: heats up engine oil too much so coolers after the turbo back to engine??????

PD: produces a lot of heat so a chiller and/or larger coolent tank would be required.

Centri: not sure what the shortcomings are...

thoughts????
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Top speed I would go turbo. I love my Procharger but it eats a lot of power using the drive system to get it to move. I would only really use a roots type for a daily driver or road course because the instant response. For me turbos are the way to go yes they heat the oil but at the same time it doesn't stress your engine trying to turn everything.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkostyle View Post
As the title says: which one is the best for open road (silver state or mile type) events?

From what I can gather:

Turbo: heats up engine oil too much so coolers after the turbo back to engine??????

PD: produces a lot of heat so a chiller and/or larger coolent tank would be required.

Centri: not sure what the shortcomings are...

thoughts????

A lot, including heat will depend on your power goals, oil temps can easily be kept in check with a cooler anyway.

Only real downside with a centri blower is ensuring the belt drive is good. If you get a good reliable setup, then they are great, with instant throttle response and power all the time ( even if they dont make much boost low down, they still respond very well to the driver )

For long duration stuff, I think a PD style blower would be at the bottom of the list unless you can find a way of keeping charge temps sensible.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Never heard of turbos heating oil as a down side. The minimal amount of heat is insignificant compared to the heat the motor generates.

Like Stevie said, belt drive is the biggest issue with a centri as far as downsides of long pulls. IATs can be an issue too if you are pushing a centri hard that long. I was seeing 180F+ intake temps at end of 1/2 mile pulls with my centri.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
stevieturbo

I never had any IAT issues with my YSI even with 1 mile and 1.25mile runs years ago. But I was also spraying water/meth

Without the water/meth temps would obviously have been higher, but the same applies with any time you compress air hard whether turbo, PD or Centri.

You need adequate charge cooling ability no matter what form of boost you use.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Unreal

100% agree. But a Ysi being spun hard pushes out a ton of hot air, so the intercooler/meth/etc has to be up. I was seeing 180F+ with dual m15 nozzles maxed out. Without the meth I don't even want to think what it would be. Now you could have the same exact issues with turbos or a PD. So basically choose something that doesn't have to be pushed really hard or to the limit for sustained high speed stuff.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
stevieturbo

That's insane temps.

Ambients here would rarely be that high which would help, but I'd be horrified if my charge temps ever hit about 120degF !
Before I finally gave up and went turbo, I was using 85/28 cogs so spinning it pretty hard.

Last time I ran mine with the YSi in 2013, sunny day, ambients maybe around 70-75degF, max charge temp I seen at standing 1km run was 97degF around 180mph.

Cant remember how much meth I was using at that time, but it'd be nowhere near 2 x 15gph nozzles.
I think I might have had one or 2 small AEM nozzles post IC, and a small nozzle at the impeller.
Maybe around 15gph total.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Unreal

Yep, which is why I'm looking t a new intercooler, pipes, and redoing a lot of the system. I was running -2 timing by the end of the run it was pulling so much past the 1/4 mile.