Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #533
PartsTaxi.com

Drives: Parts Taxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlugo View Post
From paceperformance.com;

'Part#22813040 is on national backorder from GM with no ETA'

I'm looking to buy a Set of '1LE' 3.91 Gears, anyone know how has them?

We've been getting them in within 2-3 weeks. Give us a call we will be able to help you. Camaro 5 member pricing is 211.34 plus shipping.

-Anna
302-883-0227
PartsTaxi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #534
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Guy's that's a glitch. Not sure why it did that. I still have 3 sets left check now

http://jreperformanceparts.com/2010-...-91-gears.html
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #535
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsTaxi.com View Post
We've been getting them in within 2-3 weeks. Give us a call we will be able to help you. Camaro 5 member pricing is 211.34 plus shipping.

-Anna
302-883-0227
Your PM's are turned off....TURN THEM ON!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #536
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus95 View Post
Any confirmation that the 1LE axles are better then the stock SS axles ? I have a really early vin, and need to upgrade. torn between the 1LE & the G-Force. Suggestions ? Comments ? Gonna do the 3.91 gear also. Thanks guys
Anybody know ? or any feed back from guys that have switched out stock axles to ILE ?
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #537
PartsTaxi.com

Drives: Parts Taxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Your PM's are turned off....TURN THEM ON!!!

We dont get on the forums as often as we'd like you can shoot me an e-mail at amelson@lewesautomall.com I check that multiple times a day.

-Anna
PartsTaxi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #538
Leviathan
Sold my Camaro. :-(

Drives: 2013 Silberado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus95 View Post
Anybody know ? or any feed back from guys that have switched out stock axles to ILE ?
I'm bumping with this question.

Are they beefed up in all the right places?

I don't need anything more than a 3.90 gear for the foreseeable future, but do plan on CAI/Cam/Tune. Would prefer not to spend $5k on the rear if I can get away with it.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #539
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
I'm bumping with this question.

Are they beefed up in all the right places?

I don't need anything more than a 3.90 gear for the foreseeable future, but do plan on CAI/Cam/Tune. Would prefer not to spend $5k on the rear if I can get away with it.
I did a search on broken axles and didn't really get a feel for what part of the axle breaks. Seems most of the issues are with the passenger side axle though. Many are attributing the issue to wheel hop and breaking on launch.

It seems there are many factors at play that could affect whether you break an axle or not. Just plain HP/torque doesn't seem to be the main reason axles broke. JusticePete summarized this in a post.

Posted by JusticePete
Wheel hop isn't just one part. It is in the drive-line and suspension. It is influenced by driving style, wheels and tires. It is a harmonic instability that starts small and reverberates, grows and finally explodes into potentially destructive vibration. Before we start selling you parts, maybe we should ask you about your particular situation?

1. What is your RWHP?
2. What is your wheel and tire package?
3. Is the wheel hop at the track or on the street?
4. Is the wheel hop temperature sensitive? ie. cold days, goes away when your tires are hot...
5. What RPMs are you luanching at?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #540
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
From what I've read here, the weak point in our IRS axle are the CV joints. Specifically, if you lower your car and dramatically change your axle shaft angles.

Of course wheel hop will break lots of stuff too, but the first thing to go will be the axles. Not sure if they would snap in half, but for a mild buildup, you're probably looking at the CV joints detonating before anything else gives.

Here are the steps I took to prevent broken axle shafts:
- fix the wheel hop (Pfadt trailing arms)
- mild lowering of the car
- swap out to the DSS Road Race axles
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #541
Leviathan
Sold my Camaro. :-(

Drives: 2013 Silberado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
From what I've read here, the weak point in our IRS axle are the CV joints. Specifically, if you lower your car and dramatically change your axle shaft angles.

Of course wheel hop will break lots of stuff too, but the first thing to go will be the axles. Not sure if they would snap in half, but for a mild buildup, you're probably looking at the CV joints detonating before anything else gives.

Here are the steps I took to prevent broken axle shafts:
- fix the wheel hop (Pfadt trailing arms)
- mild lowering of the car
- swap out to the DSS Road Race axles
My car's stock down to the air filter. M6, will be on drag radials. I know from personal experience that DR's shock the drivetrain a little more than slicks. I gained a real hard lesson with the rearend on my 98 SS M6.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #542
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I did a search on broken axles and didn't really get a feel for what part of the axle breaks. Seems most of the issues are with the passenger side axle though. Many are attributing the issue to wheel hop and breaking on launch.

It seems there are many factors at play that could affect whether you break an axle or not. Just plain HP/torque doesn't seem to be the main reason axles broke. JusticePete summarized this in a post.

Posted by JusticePete
Wheel hop isn't just one part. It is in the drive-line and suspension. It is influenced by driving style, wheels and tires. It is a harmonic instability that starts small and reverberates, grows and finally explodes into potentially destructive vibration. Before we start selling you parts, maybe we should ask you about your particular situation?

1. What is your RWHP?
2. What is your wheel and tire package?
3. Is the wheel hop at the track or on the street?
4. Is the wheel hop temperature sensitive? ie. cold days, goes away when your tires are hot...
5. What RPMs are you luanching at?
Right now, i just have some bolt on stuff, around 500Hp at the motor. I did put BMR Sways front and rear with Hotchkins end links. I just picked the Phaft rear control arm kit and a set of Phaft Diff Bushing's. I'm still driving on my stock PZero's and have never used launch control. Will my stock axles be ok, or should I go with the ILE's ? I might do a cam, down the road but not anytime soon.

I've only raced the car once at Indy last year, and I really didn't feel much wheel hop. But to be honest that was my first track day ever and I was just happy to be driving a Camaro and having fun. I do know the car got alot tighter once I put on the new sway bars and i can only imagine it will get even better with the Phaft stuff.

I also do not launch really hard, I think around 3000 rpm maybe 3500.
Weather is always warm. Car in storage from Oct to April.
2ss/RS 2010 M6 Thanks guys
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #543
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Can someone take a pick of the 1LE axles next to the SS axles?

Like others, I'm trying to figure out if there is an actual difference in strength.

Or were they just changed at the outer spline to match the ZL1 hubs?

I'm putting the 1LE gears in.... and axles if they are actually better. I don't road race, so don't really need the ZL1 hubs.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #544
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

Like others, I'm trying to figure out if there is an actual difference in strength.

I'm putting the 1LE gears in.... and axles if they are actually better. I don't road race, so don't really need the ZL1 hubs.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276561
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #545
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Outer CV joint is larger. Outer splines on the ZL1, 1LE, and SS are the SAME. Therefore you don't need new hubs unless you want to believe they really did put heavier duty bearings in the ZL1/1LE hubs. 1LE axles need new axle nuts.

If you're already doing gears, the axles come out anyway. Labor-wise shouldn't cost more. Figure $400 for the two axles.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #546
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Outer CV joint is larger. Outer splines on the ZL1, 1LE, and SS are the SAME. Therefore you don't need new hubs unless you want to believe they really did put heavier duty bearings in the ZL1/1LE hubs. 1LE axles need new axle nuts.

If you're already doing gears, the axles come out anyway. Labor-wise shouldn't cost more. Figure $400 for the two axles.

Looking at those pics though, the ends of the spline section is different. One stub end is tapered before the axle nut threads (1LE), the other splines end flat and have a groove?

Anyone actually put 1LE axles in SS hubs and drive for many miles. The slightest difference in effective axle length can really screw things up. Or if it mates up against the hub bearing differently.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote