Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
detailing noob questions

I go the dawn, speedy prep towel, detail spray, porter cable and Adam's 2 step correction and polish. I'm ready to do this. Then questions pop up.

1. I'm going to mask off my vinyl but what about the paint in between the rally stripes, how am I going to get in there with the machine.

2. Same question for awkward areas like the bumper area where the headlights are.

There will be more as I do this. I'm a painting correcting virgin. My paint is not bad at all. Garage kept daily driver. Doing this to keep her shining bright. Please enlighten me Oh Gurus of Gleam.

I'll be back. I'm 1/4 through the Speedy Prep process this morning. I'll need answers in a few.

Last edited by bandier; 06-29-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: correction
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
1) If you are new at this, you don't. Get a full correction or two under your belt and then you can try taping up the vinyl around that paint and going at it, but if you're totally new at it I would personally advise going after that paint with a buffer.

If you feel confident, mask off the surrounding vinyl about 4 to 5 inches in on both sides and then buff the paint in between.

2) If you don't have a small buffer like the 3 " GG or a rotary with an extension, you only have two options:

a) Don't do it
b) Do it by hand.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
bandier
Got mine!

That's what I need to know. Cool thanks.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
That's what I need to know. Cool thanks.
good luck and remember the speedy towel should only take you about 20 to 30 minutes max

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
bandier
Got mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
good luck and remember the speedy towel should only take you about 20 to 30 minutes max
Really???!!! I'm still speedy toweling. Seems like I gotta go over it a few times to get the glass feel I'm seeing in some of the videos. Overkill?
Old 06-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Really???!!! I'm still speedy toweling. Seems like I gotta go over it a few times to get the glass feel I'm seeing in some of the videos. Overkill?
Probably.

Do one more section and feel it after with a plastic baggie. If it still feels rough, continue to clay until it doesn't. Once you know how to get the section to pass the baggie test, it should be rinse and repeat.

It still shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes though.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
bandier
Got mine!

k... thx for the help! It always takes longer when doing something for the first time. Hmmm, well for most things. ; )
Old 06-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
k... thx for the help! It always takes longer when doing something for the first time. Hmmm, well for most things. ; )
agreed. hopefully next time you do it will be much quicker