Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #71
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
Leases are no better. The reason BMW and Lexus and other car companies are offering "maintenance free" leases are that people weren't taking care of them, running them low on fluid, and then only adding oil when they had to, not changing it at all over a 3-4yr lease.

Even then, people wouldn't come to the dealer for the free maintenance, so BMW started coming to the person's home or work. Kind of hard to have a "Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle" when it gets returned with 40,000 miles and not so much done to it other than adding air to the tires, maybe....
If that were the case, I'd never lease. Lease=Rent. That'd be the last time they ever visited me at my work or my home. Why? What for? Seems to me like they like to harass people now. Over a dumb leased car? Get a grip. Is that in the fine print and what they say in the commercials when they talk fast? Oh and by the way, if you don't come in and get it washed, we'll come to your place of business and embarrass the $hit out of ya and get ya fired. Right.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #72
HerRide

Drives: '14 2SS/RS AGM
Another vote for no way!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #73
wadew2lt
U.S. Army Veteran

Drives: 2LT/RS SGM M6 Polished 20's
Rented a yellow (auto) vert with 18k miles on it when I was in San Antonio in October. I wanted to run it though some paces. When I tried, got a lot of slipping and not so nice feedback from the transmission. Apparently, someone(s) before me gave it a beating!
Decided to take it easy for the week so I 1) didn't get stranded & 2) didn't have to turn in some POS when I was done.

Like Everyone has said....NO, don't buy it!!!

Last edited by wadew2lt; 12-03-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
wadew2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #74
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Some people on this forum ...

Maybe it's just me, but if I ever get a rental car I DON'T beat the crap out of it. I don't want to be blamed for any damage, have any incidents, or trash something that doesn't belong to me.

Maybe I was just raised better?

OP. Do w/e you want. Just because some clowns like to trash rental cars doesn't mean everyone does ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #75
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I'm going against the grain. My 2010 2LT/RS was a rental in it's original life. I'm the second owner past the rental company. 37k on the clock and not one problem w/ the engine/tranny. There were some issues with the interior being scratched (not uncommon) & I replaced some pieces (not expensive) and then I had to work the PC on the paint due to it obviously being taken through automatic car washes.

However, that price is way too high for a rental. I paid $20,900 two years ago for mine - well worth taking on a previous rental at the time. Edit: Maybe it was $21.9k - can't remember now, but either way it was an excellent price two years ago.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #76
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
NO
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #77
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
With the amount of cars for sale that are on this forum/at a dealer for a great price I would avoid a rental and let that be someone else's problem. I had a Pontiac Grand Am that was an Avis rental prior to me purchasing it, but there's a big difference in a four door sedan and a sports car. I don't drive a rental any harder than I do my own car, but I know plenty of people that do and its not pretty!

Here's a video of what you could be purchasing lol

OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #78
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Yep - because we all know that people who own their own cars never do burn outs & drive them 55 all the time.

Seriously though I don't know if I'd buy a SS that was a rental but I wouldn't hesitate on a V6 if the price was right.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #79
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
When people ask about buying rentals, I just fondly remember the little 4 wheel drive SUV I rented back in the late 90s and then spent 5 days bouncing it along tank trails (and in and out of tank ruts) at Fort Stewart, Georgia. Thing was so covered with mud when we were done we took it through a car wash on the way back to the rental lot out of sheer guilt. Even after the car wash, it had a light haze of mud covering the whole vehicle. I am pretty sure we wrecked the alignment of that little SUV and I doubt it ever drove the same again. Now that is just my anecdotal example of what someone does with a rental, but given that experience from the renter's side of the equation, I would probably never buy a vehicle that had been a rental.

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #80
xrayman

Drives: 2012 RS/LT
To the OP poster, while my Camaro was not a rental, another car in my fleet was. In 1999 I bought my wife a 1998 Mustang that was used by Hertz. I got the car with 15k on it, 14 years later that car has proven to be the most reliable car I have ever owned. It has 83k on it now and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. So based upon this experience I would not hesitate to buy another former rental. For piece of mind if you are not buying the car from a Chevy dealer, take it to one and have it inspected before buying it and buy an extended warranty for additional piece of mind.
Good Luck.
xrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #81
wayner

Drives: White SSRS Convertible Edelbrock SC
AS long as it wasn't the one I rented.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote