Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/ ctsv3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
Older ones feel faster for some reason, I've heard it's due to the lighter weight and looser chassis. But they are definitely NOT faster. They really aren't much slower, but if you race one the difference is quite clear. You are getting a way better interior, more safety, far superior handling etc. Straight line performance isn't everything, but it's still there.
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Its a feel thing. My 98Z28 feels faster, but it aint!

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
There is no way my 4th Gen could keep up with my 2013. I did get the 1LE option(ss performace package), so that surely matters in my comparison with it improved handling and overall traction.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Sorry...to be more clear I would go with the 5th GEN everytime. I dont have the emotional attachment though, so easy for me to say.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
Hello to all! has been a while since my last time here.. My question today is related to the fact that I went to test drive a Camaro (2SS 2013) ... but unlike the one i had in Bogota (back in 2011) ... this did't seem so fast ... is a really great car.. !is amazing! .. but I have my doubts because not feel much different than my current Camaro (Z28 01) ..(what I spected for a V gen camaro)
Wait till you slap on headers, cai, and tune on the 5th gen. Im willing to put money down that you'll change your mind real quick.

I was in your shoes, i had a 98 ls1 full bolt ons ect and i decided to pull the trigger on a newer 2010 2ss. Stock form, the 2ss was a slow POS, so i had my doubts. After i added the tune, cai, and tsp 1 7/8's.. my car ran 12.6 first pass on freaking bald street tires and 114k miles through a 6l80. My full bolt on ls1 ran a best of 12.78 @ 114 (which is pretty dam good btw)

If i had to do it again, i would've kept both.
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Lol the 2000 camaros are fugly, you may love it but it is the reason they stopped making camaros, they got fugly....................Time for gm to step back and take a second look. SO go for the next gen if you want, love what you will, as we do here, visability is not much of a issue, and frankly no one drives on a test drive like they are gonna bang gears and haul _ _ _, even thought it has five star safety rating every area you couldnt drive it like you own it. Would not miss a hatchback....only on a datsun b210..............lol
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by karguy View Post
Thanks guys you saved me a lot of money...
I'm glad I came to this forum a few weeks ago trying to get some feedback on a SS 1LE.
Now I definately will keep my 02 35th anniversary 6-speed SS until at least 2015 when the gen6 comes out or if something expensive goes wrong...
I still love the car except for the cheap interior and stick axle !
The new one rides nicer but I would miss the visibility and hatchback of the gen4.LS-1 or LS-3 is no big difference if you have a car that weighs less of the equivalent of 2 fat passengers...
Good move. I have both - my '94 is a modded v8 and my '12 is a v6. And I can say without a single doubt that my 1994 Camaro is the better "cruiser" than my 2012 Camaro 1LS. The 2012 has tiny porthole windows and without t-tops you're just driving in nice weather... Whereas the '94, you pop those t-tops off and roll the windows down and you're CRUISING. Only negation is convertibles, obviously. Since it sounds like t-tops will never return to a vehicle again, I'm hoping the 6th gen will have a targa top so we can finally have a car worth "cruising the strip" in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Lol the 2000 camaros are fugly, you may love it but it is the reason they stopped making camaros, they got fugly....................Time for gm to step back and take a second look. SO go for the next gen if you want, love what you will, as we do here, visability is not much of a issue, and frankly no one drives on a test drive like they are gonna bang gears and haul _ _ _, even thought it has five star safety rating every area you couldnt drive it like you own it. Would not miss a hatchback....only on a datsun b210..............lol
It's actually funny how the different groups are. My website is mostly 4th gen owners and the overwhelming majority thinks the 5th gen is ugly and a bloated pig. Seems funny that 4th gen owners feel that way about 5th gens and then it seems like I read a lot of 5th gen owners that think 4th gens are ugly. Guess the 4th gen guys on this site know how the 3rd gen owners felt since they always get treated like the red headed step child of the group

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
It's actually funny how the different groups are. My website is mostly 4th gen owners and the overwhelming majority thinks the 5th gen is ugly and a bloated pig. Seems funny that 4th gen owners feel that way about 5th gens and then it seems like I read a lot of 5th gen owners that think 4th gens are ugly. Guess the 4th gen guys on this site know how the 3rd gen owners felt since they always get treated like the red headed step child of the group
I would venture to say that it is a very small group that has the means to purchase a fifth gen and chooses to drive a fourth gen over the fifth. I've owned 2 fourth gens and 2 third gens and have only sat in one fifth gen in my life. I can tell just from reading how the fifth gen is light years ahead of the fourth. I can appreciate all generations and don't understand how some Camaro fans can call one generation or the other ugly. Performance wise Camaro has a strong heritage and even in the lower performing years, it was the best car they could build at the time.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Good move. I have both - my '94 is a modded v8 and my '12 is a v6. And I can say without a single doubt that my 1994 Camaro is the better "cruiser" than my 2012 Camaro 1LS. The 2012 has tiny porthole windows and without t-tops you're just driving in nice weather... Whereas the '94, you pop those t-tops off and roll the windows down and you're CRUISING. Only negation is convertibles, obviously. Since it sounds like t-tops will never return to a vehicle again, I'm hoping the 6th gen will have a targa top so we can finally have a car worth "cruising the strip" in...

I'm guessing a few laps around the horn on Woodward in my car might alter your perspective a tiny bit. I've driven ever generation Camaro and have owned a second gen and 3 fifth gens. My sister had a third gen Z28 (totally useless scrap of metal). While agree the line of sight is a bit limited, the 5th gen is a pretty stout muscle car. It's truly a muscle coupe and I love it. The sixth gen may get smaller but I like the bigger car myself.

I would go with the fifth gen and never look back.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I'm guessing a few laps around the horn on Woodward in my car might alter your perspective a tiny bit. I've driven ever generation Camaro and have owned a second gen and 3 fifth gens. My sister had a third gen Z28 (totally useless scrap of metal). While agree the line of sight is a bit limited, the 5th gen is a pretty stout muscle car. It's truly a muscle coupe and I love it. The sixth gen may get smaller but I like the bigger car myself.
I won't turn you down for a ride but I still say driving in a closed up car in the middle of the summer is no comparison to cruising with a car with the t-tops off.

In the summer, I was driving up Jefferson Ave / Lakeshore Dr every day from downtown to 16 Mile Rd on my way home from work -- very scenic route -- and it's just not the same in a 5th gen. You roll the windows down and get a little bit of wind and it's like driving a Malibu but drive a 4th gen and pop the t-tops off and now you're cruising in style.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #25
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
I won't turn you down for a ride but I still say driving in a closed up car in the middle of the summer is no comparison to cruising with a car with the t-tops off.

In the summer, I was driving up Jefferson Ave / Lakeshore Dr every day from downtown to 16 Mile Rd on my way home from work -- very scenic route -- and it's just not the same in a 5th gen. You roll the windows down and get a little bit of wind and it's like driving a Malibu but drive a 4th gen and pop the t-tops off and now you're cruising in style.
It's all about what you want. Sounds like you should have bought a Vert. I would guess T tops are gone for good. Back in the day (I can say that as I approach 50), I worked on more than a few T top cars. Wind noise, squeaks, water leaks, window alignment issues, on and on... Big problems with those things.

Don't get me wrong I understand your point, but in terms of the byter car there is no comparison. Technology has evolved and the better car is the were car, in all aspects.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
5th gen demolishes the 4th gen in every aspect for me. I do have a soft spot for the 4th gens as that was my high school dream car.

Honestly, if you're happy with the 4th. Keep it, its cheaper lol.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
thanks to all, I decided keep my camaro 2001, and will wait for the GEN 6 Z28 meanwile I can start with the long list of mods for my camaro ohh... Cai.. tune chip, headers, cam, exhaust, ultra Z hood, good brakes, a 6L80 and a new interior, thats going to keep me happy
Sesiom Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #28
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
keep the Z28 and buy the SS, best of both worlds!!!
This is what I did.