Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I read in one of the online mag's in 2014 the 'Vette gets a refresh, with a 5.5L DI motor pushing around 500HP. Maybe, in 2014, we can get that engine for the, ....cough, ....uhemmmn,....Z-28?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
No way we'll see an over head cam V8, let alone a 5.0 in any Camaro in the next 10 years. I have heard rumblings that the Gen V V8 could go back to the old 5.7 liter size which I think would be cooler than a 5.0 but it's also been said that 5.3 and 6.2 sizes would be retained.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
chevysno1

Drives: 07 GMC Sierra crew cab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
No way we'll see an over head cam V8, let alone a 5.0 in any Camaro in the next 10 years. I have heard rumblings that the Gen V V8 could go back to the old 5.7 liter size which I think would be cooler than a 5.0 but it's also been said that 5.3 and 6.2 sizes would be retained.
I have read the same but with one exception, that is that the 5.3 is for trucks, And the 6.2 going to both trucks and cars.
chevysno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
I read somewhere that V8's might even be limited to trucks and the vette in the future..... it was speculation regarding CAFE included as impetus. Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...gine-guys.html
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
IMO as long as the Vette has a V8, there will be a Camaro model that has one as well. It may be more of a premium package but it will still be available.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
When the Corvette gets the DI next gen 8 cyl motor, reportedly in it's refresh year, hopefully we will follow suit if not the same year, then hopefully the next. If not, when we get Alpha with the new body I certainly hope we get the DI 8 cyl, for me a 6 cyl turbo is a no go, I'm just a fossile from the past and to me, there's somethin' not white in the milk to that...and inherently wrong.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I read in one of the online mag's in 2014 the 'Vette gets a refresh, with a 5.5L DI motor pushing around 500HP. Maybe, in 2014, we can get that engine for the, ....cough, ....uhemmmn,....Z-28?
I really wish that the 5.5L rumour would die. I'm not even sure how its managed to persist for so long.

Quote:
I'd like to see a return of the 5.7 myself, but I'm inclined to believe the rumours that GM will be using 6.2's and 5.3's. The only way a 5.7 would make sense to me is if they base their family around 3 displacements: a small one of 5L or less, the 5.7 as an intermediate truck engine/'everyday performance' V8 for cars, then a larger one (say around 6.5L) for high performance applications or when a very large V8 is needed for a truck (perhaps as the gas engine for the HD trucks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I read somewhere that V8's might even be limited to trucks and the vette in the future..... it was speculation regarding CAFE included as impetus. Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...gine-guys.html
Doesn't really hold water IMO. Trucks use more V8's than cars. Trucks suck more gas than cars. Trucks still factor into CAFE. Therefore, if they were trying to improve their CAFE scores, they'd get rid of V8 trucks, V8 Camaros (and any other V8 non-Corvette cars) are hardly a blip on the radar
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #22
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
When the Corvette gets the DI next gen 8 cyl motor, reportedly in it's refresh year, hopefully we will follow suit if not the same year, then hopefully the next. If not, when we get Alpha with the new body I certainly hope we get the DI 8 cyl, for me a 6 cyl turbo is a no go, I'm just a fossile from the past and to me, there's somethin' not white in the milk to that...and inherently wrong.
I felt that way about 40 years ago when they lowered compression in engines back in 1971. I lost interest in high performance after that. Then, to see what kind of cars they were calling MustangII, Delta 88, Charger (did you see that little Dodge "thing").. And there were plenty more I have long since forgotten about because they were less than memorable. It was a mess o nuttin!

The current Z crops will be memorable.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #23
unkillsam

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
I think the only way you are going to see a Z28 model on the 5th Gen Camaro is with the 3.6 TT engine GM is developing.

Combined with a stripper 1LE style car, lightweight 18 inch alloy wheels, and a suspension package, this is the only way to make a lightweigh car in the spirit of the Z28 and still differentiate it from the ZL1.

Now flame away for suggesting no V8 in the Z28.
unkillsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
I think the only way you are going to see a Z28 model on the 5th Gen Camaro is with the 3.6 TT engine GM is developing.

Combined with a stripper 1LE style car, lightweight 18 inch alloy wheels, and a suspension package, this is the only way to make a lightweigh car in the spirit of the Z28 and still differentiate it from the ZL1.

only flame I can say is why the focus on the 3.6 TT? there are many engines in the generals arsenal that they could through at the car. including the new engine that will debut in the base v8 c7 vette. or heck why not a TT 4 cylinder? the C7 will be out next year. It's suppose to get a DI V8. and may also get that TT v6 you are talking about. I could see the SS getting the v6 TT and then them sliding the Z28 in with the V-8 while keeping the ZL1 as king.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
I agree with the DOHC part, I think that will likely be many years. Now the 5.0 part, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon (certainly I don't think for the 5th gen Camaro and likely not for the 6th gen Camaro), but I would never say "never" regarding a 5.0 L, it could happen at any point IF GM decided to do one (and I know you said the next ten years, you didn't say never).
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #26
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The SBC redesign, due up first in the C-7 Vette, is purportedly budgeted @ $1Billion (YUUUP...a "B")...and now the "buzz" is the architecture will support an in-the-future DOHC head conversion...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post

Why do you assume that a TTV6 would weigh less than a small block V8?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #28
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Why do you assume that a TTV6 would weigh less than a small block V8?
I think it's fair to say, since Ford has resurrected the BOSS, the ONLY Z/28 iteration we're likely to see will be a DIRECT competitor with its "former" playmate...which means an SBC.

...and, carrying that thought a lil further, that may be one very good reason why the ZL1 was named as it was... After all, there are darned few true "secrets" in Motor City...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote