Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #421
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
What is the consensus on how much boost you can run on 4 bolt heads?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #422
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
What is the consensus on how much boost you can run on 4 bolt heads?

I've run 25psi on numerous applications with 4-bolt heads and that is on the 'regular' ARP head studs.. Now we use the L19 studs in these applications.. .Have numerous 8-9 second cars in this psi range all day long. The nice part about a 4-bolt block also is if you send a rod through it, you just didnt punk a $5k block

Unreal: Buy Camper's Novi 2200 kit, you know you want to.. :P
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #423
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Boost is just a measure of restriction. Put a 1" TB restrictor and you can run 80psi.

L19 studs, aftermarket thick deck heads, ls9 MLS gaskets, etc. I've seen 1200+rwhp on 4 bolts without issues if the tune is good.

Matt, and put it on what? My mustang? I have no need for another blower and why would I downsize.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #424
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
I was disappointed also to learn this kit wouldnt work with the TH400:(

but, here at Lethal we will be installing these kits
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #425
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
So who's gonna be first to put this kit on a forged 416 and crank the boost?
We already did it in an auto.

We also are doing a 2014 1LE in 2 weeks as well as
our shop ZL1 for the Texas Mile
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #426
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
I've run 25psi on numerous applications with 4-bolt heads and that is on the 'regular' ARP head studs..
417ci, 10.1:1 compression, 93 pump gas, = ?? boost & @ ?? rwhp?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #427
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
417ci, 10.1:1 compression, 93 pump gas, = ?? boost & @ ?? rwhp?

I run all my SC applications over 10:1.. Most in the 10.3-10.6:1 ranges depends on how the shelf pistons fall if its a shelf job vs. custom. You won't find us running pump gas though at these levels, this is MS109 or C16 fuel depends on the project.

Remember guys, I have a SWEET one time deal on our shop car kit that we could not install due to the TH400 trans. I mean sweet isnt the word for it. PM me for details won't last long.

- Matt
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #428
Rockit_z28
www.1baddogracing.com

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
You keep up all these deals and you will need to change your slogan to " FSP the dealer for horsepower junkies. PM us for your fix today." Heck, I an already seeking addiction counseling because of you.

Built and Tuned by Heintz Racing
Go: DSS 9", RPM Trans TH400, Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion, ECS Vortech YSI-B, Fore Fuel System, ID1700, Gall Racing 427 C.I LSX, Mast 285CC Heads, HR Custom Cam

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, VFN Hood, Weld Wheels
http://www.HeintzRacing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #429
Levischilz

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Alright Matt can't wait for the kit!
Levischilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #430
HarryNW
HarryNW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Black (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I don't think you will get boost by gear with Either of those typically takes a NLR AMS 1000 and a way to tell the AMS what gear your in http://www.nlrsystems.com/2009/catalog2010.html

The computer would have to be able to have tuning at each boost level you choose, You will need a Very Experience tuner to handle this, Easy for me here on my Dyno but your on the Left coast LOL

The higher the power level the More you will have to focus on Cooling for Road Coarse use.

A Cam, fuel system, Clutch Upgrade, Suspension and Driveline upgrades will all have to go along with power levels above 600 RWHP.

Ted.
Ted, I really appreciate the detailed response, thanks. Wish you and the team were within reach of the NorthWest... If I actually decide to invest, I think I am down to the AEM TruBoost or the TurboSmart e-Boost2. I cannot justify the AMS given my basic needs. I am actually leaning towards the e-Boost2 for the extended features combined with simple gauge controls interface. But, based on your comment, that would likely only make sense after some selective driveline upgrades...

In fact, what is your experience on the stock AGP kit on a 2013 2SS/RS LS3 in terms of boost ranges? I read above that a boost range in 6-8psi will put me well into the 600+ range, which begins to push the envelope of my stock cam/clutch/driveline. If so, then not much need to consider EBC...

Also, I thought the kit's fuel system upgrade was good for in excess of that range - where do you see the AGP Kit's top-end in terms of its included fuel system upgrade?

Thanks again and this is a great thread, let's keep it active.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #431
Unreal

HarryNW,

Fuel system on the full kit includes 80lb injectors and a zl1 or BAP. The limit will be the zl1 or BAP which will probably max out in the mid 600s. Ted and many of the other vendors probably perfer to do the tuner kit and provide their own fuel solutions.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #432
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNW View Post
Ted, I really appreciate the detailed response, thanks. Wish you and the team were within reach of the NorthWest... If I actually decide to invest, I think I am down to the AEM TruBoost or the TurboSmart e-Boost2. I cannot justify the AMS given my basic needs. I am actually leaning towards the e-Boost2 for the extended features combined with simple gauge controls interface. But, based on your comment, that would likely only make sense after some selective driveline upgrades...

In fact, what is your experience on the stock AGP kit on a 2013 2SS/RS LS3 in terms of boost ranges? I read above that a boost range in 6-8psi will put me well into the 600+ range, which begins to push the envelope of my stock cam/clutch/driveline. If so, then not much need to consider EBC...

Also, I thought the kit's fuel system upgrade was good for in excess of that range - where do you see the AGP Kit's top-end in terms of its included fuel system upgrade?

Thanks again and this is a great thread, let's keep it active.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
HarryNW,

Fuel system on the full kit includes 80lb injectors and a zl1 or BAP. The limit will be the zl1 or BAP which will probably max out in the mid 600s. Ted and many of the other vendors probably perfer to do the tuner kit and provide their own fuel solutions.
Your Welcome,

I set my Daughters car up with the AEM TruBoost with 3 boost levels

I turbocharged her 2006 Cobalt 2.2 5 speed

It has an 8 psi wastegate.

The boost controller has 3 settings, Off, runs on wastegate only at 8 PSI, setting A is 10 PSI, Setting B is 12 PSI.

It makes 190, 210 and 230 WHP respectively

She gets 24-26 MPG on the wastegate a lot less on settings A and B

The AEM Truboost is great for the money and works well.

You can Make the Boost lazy or responsive to the point of what the turbo is capable of providing by working with the Gate Setting in the boost controller

Bringing the boost in easy makes it easy on drive train parts but boring to drive LOL

The Drivetrain can easily handle 650 RWHP under street driving NON abusive use.

At the drag strip with sticky tires the Rear diff, axles and driveshaft are all at risk anything above 450 RWHP.

Turbochargers are HP specific so you can't just keep turning up the boost, you will over speed the turbos at some point.

There is a very simple way to figure what the turbos are good for, by taking How may LB of air Per minute and multipying by 10.

1 LB a minute will make 10 Crank HP.

In My Opinion there is only 1 Fuel Pump Solution, LPE Twin Pump good up to 850 RWHP and Possibly 900 RWHP with turbos.

Also I Prefer Injector Dynamics ID-850s.

NOTE; The ZL-1 Pump Does Not do well without an ADM Controller, and I would rate this at no more than 650 RWHP.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #433
Unreal

If I was building a Camaro I would do ID1000s and a fore return system with twin or triple aem 320s depending on power goals, but that is me. Like I said, fuel system depends on the user needs. Teds fuel setup ID850s and LPE twin pump is awesome and a great choice. I would contact the vendor of your choice and discuss a complete package.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #434
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Whilst Ive never used it, Ive seen it advertised a few places.

But this seems like one of the few controllers out there that can actually offer true boost by gear etc. Not some halfway attempt. Certainly isnt cheap though.
Such price would be part way into the price of a full standalone ecu that would do it too.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/p...ontroller.html
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote