Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Phdpsy

Drives: SW 2013 1LE
Arrived at Circuit of the Americas tonight....tomorrow we hit the track.

Just dropped by the track tonight to check in, get a feel for the facility, and drop off some things in the garage. The facility is beautiful!

Tomorrow and Sunday I'll be running with a BMWCCA group for a HPDE and club racing (just the HPDE for me ). I'm the only camaro at the entire event and possibly the first 1LE on the track. I spoke to a few of the track workers this evening and none of them had seen a 1LE on the track....a couple ZL1s, one modified SS that they new of, and then the actual Camaro race cars. I'm not saying I AM the first (someone may know different), but given the very few events that have been run, and the general rarity of this model....who knows.

Couldn't resist a quick picture even though the sun was sinking on the horizon. Tomorrow I'll get some good pictures and some video (assuming no technical difficulties). Probably can't upload video until the end of the weekend, but we will see. Fingers crossed for a fun and "drama free" weekend.

Last edited by Phdpsy; 06-21-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Definitely subscribed...

I believe I'm the 1st ZL1 to do a burnout at the start/finish line if that counts for anything...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Lumino1LE
Rally Yellow 2SS/RS/SR

Drives: Born 11/12 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I'm jelly.

Good luck and good driving!
Lumino1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Phdpsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Definitely subscribed...

I believe I'm the 1st ZL1 to do a burnout at the start/finish line if that counts for anything...
Absolutely counts! So you got to run earlier this year, that is awesome. How did you like the track?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdpsy View Post
Absolutely counts! So you got to run earlier this year, that is awesome. How did you like the track?
Man I wish.. we had a Camaro Corral for the Grand AM and got a parade lap... Me and another guy stopped on the main straight and laid down some rubber.. The folks in the stands loved it..

Just went to the V8 Supercar race also. The track is totally awesome.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28

definitely let us know how its goes today!
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Just dropped by the track tonight to check in, get a feel for the facility, and drop off some things in the garage. The facility is beautiful!

Tomorrow and Sunday I'll be running with a BMWCCA group for a HPDE and club racing (just the HPDE for me ). I'm the only camaro at the entire event and possibly the first 1LE on the track. I spoke to a few of the track workers this evening and none of them had seen a 1LE on the track....a couple ZL1s, one modified SS that they new of, and then the actual Camaro race cars. I'm not saying I AM the first (someone may know different), but given the very few events that have been run, and the general rarity of this model....who knows.

Couldn't resist a quick picture even though the sun was sinking on the horizon. Tomorrow I'll get some good pictures and some video (assuming no technical difficulties). Probably can't upload video until the end of the weekend, but we will see. Fingers crossed for a fun and "drama free" weekend.

Like i said, im going to live vicariously thru for this event.Make us proud,not sure, but someone said this guy was the 1st to track his 1LE
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Phdpsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post

Like i said, im going to live vicariously thru for this event.Make us proud,not sure, but someone said this guy was the 1st to track his 1LE
The only thing is that this video is not of Circuit of the Americas. Either that or I am at the wrong track (or I really need some glasses). Perhaps he just didn't post anythig if he went to COTA. I'm not worried if I'm not the first...as long as I was here!

Weather is great, but the on track traffic is rough. Since most have not run here before, people are a bit tentative and not anticipating passing zones well. It should speed up as sessions continue. The biggest challenge for me is that there are soon many visual distractions that it is hard to keep your attention on the track itself.

Last edited by Phdpsy; 06-08-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Quote:
The only thing is that this video is not of Circuit of the Americas. Either that or I am at the wrong track (or I really need some glasses)

Weather is great, but the on track traffic is rough. Since most have not run here before, people are a bit tentative and not anticipating passing zones well. It should speed up as sessions continue. The biggest challenge for me is that there are soon many visual distractions that it is hard to keep your attention on the track itself.
Thanks for checking in you must be having the time of your life,yeah i imagine it would be like a 1st timer to Vegas,sensory overload!stay focused dont hurt your baby
Old 06-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Oh man, I wish I could do a full track day there in my camaro. I drove a CTS v at COTA for a Cadillac perf lab, but that only made me crave more. What do you think about the track so far? I thought it had a couple of tricky spots. I couldn't get comfortable in the S near turn 4....seemed like my eyes played tricks on me through there
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

What kinda speed are you seeing on the straight?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Phdpsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Oh man, I wish I could do a full track day there in my camaro. I drove a CTS v at COTA for a Cadillac perf lab, but that only made me crave more. What do you think about the track so far? I thought it had a couple of tricky spots. I couldn't get comfortable in the S near turn 4....seemed like my eyes played tricks on me through there
Yes, the 3-4-5-6 combination is definitely a challenge visually. By this afternoon I had a much better feel for it and could tune out the distractions.

The elevation changes are much more significant than you can see in YouTube videos. This kind of throws you a bit off at times until you realize the track is still there over the rise.....just like on the last lap.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Phdpsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
What kinda speed are you seeing on the straight?
This afternoon's session the instructor cut me loose to run solo (all run groups had mandatory instructors for the first 1-2 sessions). I thought this was rather brave of him given the few occasional corners I still messed up spectacularly in the second session The traffic was not as bad and I actually got a couple clear runs down the main and back straight. Depending on how well I got through the turn onto the straight I was hitting 115-123 on the front straight (from turn 20 to turn 1), and 135-148 (best) on the back straight. The later session and the better traffic flow made for faster laps and MUCH harder braking. I actually pitted in a lap early when the brake pedal got suddenly "squishy" heading into turn one. That was one long and nerve racking lap getting around close to 3.5 miles babying the brakes. I was a bit surprised given I had changed to Motul 600 brake fluid and had had no fade on the first two sessions. I hope the brakes hold up tomorrow. Even if I have to cut sessions short.

On a side note, I was pleased to find out they got a last minute approval for a photographer. By mid week I'll have some good photos to share in addition to the video. BTW, if anyone knows an easy way to edit (clip to shorten) GoPro videos let me know. I am not a very good "tech" guy..

Couple from my son: First "start/Finish", second is the top of the hill just turning in for turn 1

Last edited by Phdpsy; 06-08-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
I AM JELOUS
31B is offline   Reply With Quote