Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #29
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
Very very nice car! I have three friends with true COPO Camaro's. My friend Jim's Hugger Orange COPO was purchased new from Ed Stinn Chevrolet in Cleveland OH. My other friend Rick's brother also had a COPO and his was Garnet red, Double COPO, also purchased from Ed Stinn Chevrolet. Rick's brother bought this car new in 1969! I have pictures of the car when it was brand new!!! They raced the car and sold it some time in 1971ish??? My friend Bob has a very rare light yellow COPO that was purchased from Prout Chevrolet in Elyria OH. I am currently looking for my friend Rick's original COPO Camaro. I have been looking for five years and turned up a few leads. Hopefully it is still out there somewhere. Here is a picture of it in racing trim. Very nice car! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!! Jeff
Attached Images

IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #30
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
If you are looking for a double COPO car - be prepared to spend a huge amount of money if the person who has it knows what it is worth.

For those that dont know what the double COPO is (aka Co-COPO), it is basically the COPO 9561 (427 L-72 engine) and also the COPO 9737 (Sportscar Racing Conversion Package) ordered for the same car. It was fairly rare to have this combination and much of it is undocumented. You could not order the 9737 COPO package without the combination of another COPO package though. The GM factory was doing all sorts of weird things at that time and it is possible that there are some exceptions to the standards we thought they were doing. Unfortunately all the GM records relating to the production of these cars was discarded (except those cars shipped to Canada as GM Canada can still document most of the imported cars).

There is a Double COPO car for sale in Florida - contact the seller and try and do some numbers matching and history - maybe it will yield you some clues as this is the second one I see they had available:

http://www.classicdreamcars.com/69COPOLemansBlu.html

BTW - I love the vintage shot of that 1969 Camaro - any more that you have and can post would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I did not grow up in that era so all I have is research, photos and stories from people that did.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #31
anthonybyram

Drives: 1972 Z28, torch red,454
Made me laugh after you said that you kind of smelled after you drive a car like that... my Mom kept saying on the way home "you smell like gas"! Ran kinda +rich+ as I recall, but after Fred revved it a couple of times to clear her throat, she was ready to go. They were kinda slobbering rich at idle but once they came up on rpm they would shake the ground! My kinda car! Those were the good old days! Guess Im saying Im old, but the neat thing was...I was there. Tony Byram Gotta ask... You ever go out in the garage and just fire it up just to listen? I would!
anthonybyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #32
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
Wow - a real ZL1 !! I have yet to see one personally but have done alot of research on them and know an extensive amount about them.

Do you know if this one has the original motor in it? Most of the cars lost thier factory placed ZL1 motor as the car was so expensive with it. Many dealers had the car sitting for so long they pulled the motors out and replaced it with a 396 or 427 L72 to be able to sell the cars.

Of all the ZL1 - the cortez silver is one of the most appealing colors.

Where is that ZL1 located? As well, do you know why that car has a Yenko emblem on the front header panel below the Camaro emblem? I can see it is a Yenko emblem but do not understand why that would be there.
That would be a Dick Harrell Performance center emblem.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #33
myblackcamaros

Drives: #156 ZL575, 97 SS, 87 IROC-Z
I have had the opportunity to work on two COPO Camaros. The first was a garnet red painted Olympic Gold car. I restored the motor and the engine bay on this car for Classic Dream Cars. The original owner was Ben Wentzel. The car is in the Camaro Magazine that dedicated to the 2010 Camaro. There is a red haloed BLACK Camaro on the cover of that mag. I also put a glacier blue double COPO back in working order for Classic Dream Cars also. This was an original paint, 34,000 actual mile car that had not been restored. WOW what a car. To drive it was simply awesome. The Lemans blue double COPO car he has for sale now is killer. If you have the money I would spend it on this machine.Name:  69copolblueside.jpg
Views: 4779
Size:  307.2 KB

Name:  69copolblueside2.jpg
Views: 2629
Size:  306.9 KB
Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #34
talwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybyram View Post
Made me laugh after you said that you kind of smelled after you drive a car like that... my Mom kept saying on the way home "you smell like gas"! Ran kinda +rich+ as I recall, but after Fred revved it a couple of times to clear her throat, she was ready to go. They were kinda slobbering rich at idle but once they came up on rpm they would shake the ground! My kinda car! Those were the good old days! Guess Im saying Im old, but the neat thing was...I was there. Tony Byram Gotta ask... You ever go out in the garage and just fire it up just to listen? I would!
Yes, I am guilty of starting it just to hear it run - the only problem is the emissions are so rich at idle you can only run it for about 30 secs before it starts to burn your eyes. These cars were built to run so rich - it just barely idles and loads up pretty quickly but there is nothing like that nasty lump of the cam and the tach jumping as the motor hits each lobe of the cam
Old 08-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #35
talwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackcamaros View Post
I have had the opportunity to work on two COPO Camaros. The first was a garnet red painted Olympic Gold car. I restored the motor and the engine bay on this car for Classic Dream Cars. The original owner was Ben Wentzel. The car is in the Camaro Magazine that dedicated to the 2010 Camaro. There is a red haloed BLACK Camaro on the cover of that mag. I also put a glacier blue double COPO back in working order for Classic Dream Cars also. This was an original paint, 34,000 actual mile car that had not been restored. WOW what a car. To drive it was simply awesome. The Lemans blue double COPO car he has for sale now is killer. If you have the money I would spend it on this machine.Attachment 47887

Attachment 47888
How much is he looking to get for this Co-COPO?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #36
myblackcamaros

Drives: #156 ZL575, 97 SS, 87 IROC-Z
Asking 295,000 but I just talked to Kerry at CDC and said there is a little wiggle room.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #37
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackcamaros View Post
Asking 295,000 but I just talked to Kerry at CDC and said there is a little wiggle room.
That seems kind of low. Video of a start up?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #38
talwell

$295,000.00 is about right - whether he will get it in todays market is yet to be known.

The re-bodied ZL1 that came from the Reggie Jackson collection recently sold for $285,000.00 and there is a real ZL1 (#61) available now for $575,000.00 with some negotiating room.

The ZL1 cars were demanding north of $1m less than 2 years ago - I guess the economy has an effect on everything.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #39
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Wow. I need a promotion....

The COPO is georgeous!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #40
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Wow - a real ZL1 !! I have yet to see one personally but have done alot of research on them and know an extensive amount about them.

Do you know if this one has the original motor in it? Most of the cars lost thier factory placed ZL1 motor as the car was so expensive with it. Many dealers had the car sitting for so long they pulled the motors out and replaced it with a 396 or 427 L72 to be able to sell the cars.

Of all the ZL1 - the cortez silver is one of the most appealing colors.

Where is that ZL1 located? As well, do you know why that car has a Yenko emblem on the front header panel below the Camaro emblem? I can see it is a Yenko emblem but do not understand why that would be there.
This car is located in Orlando, FL he is a member of Classic Camaro of Central Florida.

Here is the story on this car (page 1 info on the ZL1, page 2 info on the car)
http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...zl1/index.html

Sean
Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #41
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
$295,000.00 is about right - whether he will get it in todays market is yet to be known.

The re-bodied ZL1 that came from the Reggie Jackson collection recently sold for $285,000.00 and there is a real ZL1 (#61) available now for $575,000.00 with some negotiating room.

The ZL1 cars were demanding north of $1m less than 2 years ago - I guess the economy has an effect on everything.
What I would do with the right amount of cash!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #42
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
What I would do with the right amount of cash!
You don't make that much in perdiem....

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote