Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
IConnection

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Did some testing on the stock air box?

We had a cold air kit on a car and tested it...
We found that it heat soaked badly 105@Cruise/120@idle and it was hurting throttle response and maf tuning..

We then added the stock air box back into the car and they went to
85@cruise/100@idle???

The car was adding more fuel with the stock air box and the maf readings were better too...........
I am really starting to think that the stock box is fine and all you really need is a good tube...

The only other kit I really like----> Halltech Kit
I believe it to be the best kit aval for the Camaro to date

I know there's the Fastlane and the Injen whic mount the filter outside the engine bay and thats an excellent design but I'm just not convinced the aluminum tubing is the way to go...

I would love to see them or someone else make it out of plastic..

By the way the kit we tested was not a Fastlane or Injen....

I wont say whose kit it was becuase I am not into bashing other companies but I can tell u it has a plastic air box and aluminum maf tubing and the filter was inside the engine bay, it also had no lid on it....

Again IMO I would go Halltech or SLP's Blackwing tube and filter with the stock air box...

Is there better stuff out there, well I guess according to some of the testing thats been done but again testing is just that (a test)...Just like our test it really proves nothing other than what data you get and IMO are data sez stay away from aluminum maf tubes and crappy cold around surrounds..

I will recommend HALLTECH OR SLP's stuff to my customers..

I do beleive the VR is going to shine too but so far there hasnt been enough response's or testing to see if it really works, I know it worked well on the GTO's and G8 so in time we will see how it pans out...

Just trying to give honest data to guys looking to spend there money wisely

JS
IConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
Nice Write Up!
Thanks.
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
Thanks for the info and data.
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Thanks for the honest opinion!

I'm definately happy with my Halltech!
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Jannetty basically said the same thing that the stock box is pretty darn efficient and that the stock filter produced the same power as a kn when tested.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
that was what i was talking about. it seems that the cold air kits really does not do anything great over the stock air box. with the out side temp being 84 degrees, my air inlet temp was 101 degrees. so i can not see how they are getting a benefit from there setups
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
Nice Writeup. Glad to OE Engineering is Top Shelf.

I've been playing with this idea and like to throw it out:
The Stock Box has an unused inlet; would there be any
benefit or detriment to open the hole and run a tube down
towards the bottom of the chassis? Superficially, this
would seem to turn the stock box into a CAI type system.
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Gnarlygianni

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
what about all the intakes that DO receive a gain such as C.A.I. , Roto-Fab, ect
Gnarlygianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
that was what i was talking about. it seems that the cold air kits really does not do anything great over the stock air box. with the out side temp being 84 degrees, my air inlet temp was 101 degrees. so i can not see how they are getting a benefit from there setups
It's not so much that the others give better IAT's than the OEM seup, but most of them will FLOW considerably better. IAT's aren't then end all/ be all to making a CAI. It has to flow AND give good IAT's. If you're getting the same or better IAT's AND have more air flowing, you have a winning combination. It's the degree of these two things that make one CAI better than the other. We won't go into flow turbulance and driveablity with this thread.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
IConnection

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Axis,that is true but when we see a CIA adding heat and scewing MAF readings VS a STOCK OEM FILTER SYSTEM it lead us to believe that GM has done a pretty good job..

I will honestly say the there are a few systems out there that are good
We just feel the Halltech MAY be the best to date

This could change over time and I hope thats the case because there is nothing wrong with competition, I was just putting up data we were seeing with this particular kit and nothing more :o)
IConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
It's not so much that the others give better IAT's than the OEM seup, but most of them will FLOW considerably better. IAT's aren't then end all/ be all to making a CAI. It has to flow AND give good IAT's. If you're getting the same or better IAT's AND have more air flowing, you have a winning combination. It's the degree of these two things that make one CAI better than the other. We won't go into flow turbulance and driveablity with this thread.

Thanks i thought it had to do with flow over temp
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote