Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
SwaggyJ

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS/2009 Charger SRT8
Damage to Quarter Panel

Someone failed to yield as they were turning and I was heading straight on a green light when they t-boned me and put me in a ditch. The other driver was found 100% at fault. He hit me right by the door and lower quarter panel as well as pretty much scratched the entire wheel, parts flying also hit the fender on the other side and made 2 small dents in opposite fender. Now i'm waiting on an adjustor to come and assess the damage. This isn't my first time involved in an accident nor dealing with an adjuster but it is with this type of car and damage done to it. I own a 2013 SS that I bought 4 MONTHS AGO. I've put 1,600 miles on the car. When he comes out, i'm sure he'll assess the damage and want to pull it out and slap a bunch of bondo on it but that's not what I want. Do I have a chance of getting it replaced? I understand the proccess of cutting the car and welding a new piece on it, I also understand the fact the insurance only responsibility is to return the car to its PRE-ACCIDENT condition, etc as I said it's not my first rodeo but as not fully seen in the pics the ENTIRE quarter panel has dents on it from parts flying and when he hit me and the damage being significally worse by the door on the bottom. The car is nearly brand new I am approaching of only my 4th month of having owned it. I am not looking to pocket any money or anything like that but replacing is the route I want to go. So my questions..

1. I have good insurance. Do I let my insurance know that I want it replaced and let them and the other drivers insurance talk it out? Do I have any chance of having that option even if that means fighting it and whether any of you have had any situations similiar to this one as well as the outcome?
2. What would you estimate the damage on based on the pictures?

Last edited by SwaggyJ; 12-28-2014 at 01:51 PM.
SwaggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Pics?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
SwaggyJ

Old 12-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
SwaggyJ

Door and back bumper are also scratched completely on the bottom from when the guy hit me, not bad enough where they need to be replaced, damaged nonetheless.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Ya they won't replace the quarter panel. I had something similar happen. The good news is the car will look good as new again. When you get the car back feel the car, don't just look. This looks like over $2k in repairs, paint work is expensive; time is money. It's pretty clearly not your fault so you do get to choose the repair shop and they foot the bill. Pretty sure you can't demand they replace the quarter panel which by the way they would have to paint match as well so don't assume that will be the best result. If you're desperate to have the panel replaced maybe shop around a couple shops and maybe one of them will be willing to go that route. Anyway, hang in there your car will look great again and don't forget the other insurance owes you a rental car.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
SwaggyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
Ya they won't replace the quarter panel. I had something similar happen. The good news is the car will look good as new again. When you get the car back feel the car, don't just look. This looks like over $2k in repairs, paint work is expensive; time is money. It's pretty clearly not your fault so you do get to choose the repair shop and they foot the bill. Pretty sure you can't demand they replace the quarter panel which by the way they would have to paint match as well so don't assume that will be the best result. If you're desperate to have the panel replaced maybe shop around a couple shops and maybe one of them will be willing to go that route. Anyway, hang in there your car will look great again and don't forget the other insurance owes you a rental car.
Thanks man. Yeah I have and they've all told me the same thing. They will replace it as long as the insurance pays for it, and that's up to me/my Insurance and them. It's just the fact that the entire quarter panel is dented up from top to bottom and I can't even fathom the amount of bondo that will be used throughout it. They will have to paint match regardless so I'd rather it be replaced instead of repaired.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Why would you want your entire 1/4 (uniside) replaced? Do you not think that after welding in the new panel
bond would not be used? Let the experts handle the repairs and don't insist that your car be opened up like a tin can.
On another note, you claiming damage on the opposite side is related will only tick the appraiser off. Let that go imo.
Advise from a long time claims appraiser/adjuster.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
don't forget to ask for diminished value. It will show up on a car fax when you sell or trade your car.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
SwaggyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
don't forget to ask for diminished value. It will show up on a car fax when you sell or trade your car.
I've heard about that but heard it's only available to some states? Do I let my insurance know that I'm seeking it?
Old 12-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaggyJ View Post
I've heard about that but heard it's only available to some states? Do I let my insurance know that I'm seeking it?
yes

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote