Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Arrow LS3 SS' 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro [COTW 9/17/12]

I figure I would start my car journal, seeing as my car will be going through some more "drastic" changes here soon.

Background Story :

I was deployed in Iraq (Army Mechanic E-5, 4 years) at the time I was looking at vehicles, and honestly an SS Camaro was the LAST thought that crossed my mind when I was trying to buy a new vehicle. I WAS a Ford enthusiast, and I had previously owned 3 mustangs, 2 being an 1990 GT, 1993 LX, and my last being a 1999 Cobra.

My friend actually talked me into looking at a Camaro, and knew I could afford one, so I gave it a shot. I started talking to Anna Bearinger of Sparta Chevrolet in March, and 2 months later, I was the proud owner of a 2010 Camaro SS. I went through a lot of headaches trying to get the paperwork started and finished while I was deployed, so between this car being built FOR me, and it being my first NEW car, I will be keeping this car, no matter what. Well, here goes nothing! :

CAR : 2010 CHEVROLET CAMARO 2SS/RS LS3 M6
COLOR : CYBER GREY METALLIC

MODIFICATIONS :

RotoFab CAI
RotoFab Custom Painted Engine Covers
AAC Cool White interior LED Bulbs
AAC Cool white license plate bulbs
AAC cool white trunk light bulbs
AAC Cool blue DRL bulbs
Elite Engineering Oil Catch can
JBA High Flow Catalytic Converters
Solo Performance Catback Exhaust
FieldGoal DRL harness
AAC SMD LED sidemarkers
RPI designs stealth paint matched mudguards
RPI Designs ZL1 style front air splitter
GM Heritage grill
Solo Performance 02 extenders
Emblempros dash plaque
GMPP Skipshift eliminator
Autotrim design faded gill inserts
Lloyd’s SS floor mats
Matte black tailight bezels
RPI designs blackout panel
Gary’s Custom Black and Red rear Bowtie
22’’ Lexani LX-7 wheels
Pirelli P zero nero tires
Custom LeatherRed Suede interior
Oracle Lighting red footwell LEDs
JDP Color Changing Halo kit
RPI designs Cyber grey metallic center console trim
RPI designs Cyber grey metallic steering wheel trim
Pedders lowering coil springs
3D Carbon Rear Spoiler
AAC High Power Reverse LED lights

Last edited by LS3 SS; 08-07-2012 at 11:44 AM.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
LS3 SS

The direction I really wanted to go with this car, was subtle, and still "kind of" is. I just wanted to do a few cosmetic modifications, a Cat-back or Axle-back system mainly for sound, a new engine cover, and a nice set of wheels along with a few other modifications. I did not want to go "overboard", but at the same time, I wanted the show car look that people can appreciate instead of trying to figure out how much money I spent to get the car to that level.

First, I added small things like LLoyd's floor mats, and AAC LED conversion bulbs for the dome light, trunk light, and license plate :

Then I decided to get a dash plaque made from Emblempros.com :

Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
LS3 SS

I also added gill accents for the side gills by autotrimdesign, as well as AAC LED P13W bulbs for the DRLs :

Finally...sigh. I couldn't stand how "quiet" the car was with the factory exhaust system. Don't get me wrong, I love having a "powerful" car that's quiet, but this is a sports car with a V8 in it, it can only be SO quiet, lol. So I gave the guys at SOLO Performance a call, and ordered the Solo Mach X Catback exhaust system :

The install wasn't TOO bad. But then again, I did it with a friend, and all we had was hand tools, and a Jack LOL. It was quiet at first, but it's slowly starting to get louder. I absolutely love the sound though. Nice and quiet until you get on it, with nice decel popping in almost every gear.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
LS3 SS

The most recent modification I have installed was an PCV oil catch can from Mike Norris Motorsport. I will not lie to anyone who is on the fence about buying one, you NEED an oil catch can. I just RECENTLY installed the catch can, and there is already oil inside the can from just a few miles of driving. Save oil build up in your intake system now, while you can catch it early. I will say that I am not 100% pleased with the Mike Norris Catch can. The design is solid, but :

1. They do not have any 2010 Camaro SS specific applications, so you will have to be creative in fabricating a mounting bracket

2. The catch can isnt the "largest", so therefore you will be checking it more often than say a RevX or Elite Engineering can.

The particular can I receieved had a small design flaw. The side outlet hole that was drilled, was uneven. So when I threaded the fitting into the can, it threaded fine, but since the hole is not a "perfect circle", there is very tiny air leak that can only be heard, not felt when the vehicle is running. Also, the drain valve at the bottom of the can is "leaking" oil, even though I have tightened it as tight as it will go.

I plan on ordering an Elite Engineering can within the next few days, so I guess you should believe people when they say "Do it right the first time". I do not have pictures of the can, but don't worry, just purchase an Elite Engineering can, and save yourself the headache.

Here are pictures of the mounting bracket I made though. I went to home depot, got an L bracket for 4 dollars, and drilled holes to slide the bolt and nut through. Then I attached it to the mounting bracket for the can, and attached the whole assembly
the to bolt that holds the radiator shroud/radiator together :

Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
LS3 SS

This is all I have documented for now. Next purchases that are on the immediate list are :

ShowStopper Front splitter
Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can
"BumbleBee" Style Bowties

Next purchases on the near future list are :

Roto Fab Engine covers
GM Heritage Grille
CCC SS emblem for the heritage grille
Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Very nice

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Nice journal, wish I'd started one when I got my 2SS/RS CGM M6 in December. Loving your mods so far. Keep the pics coming, we love to see them.
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi11ymc View Post
Very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
Nice journal, wish I'd started one when I got my 2SS/RS CGM M6 in December. Loving your mods so far. Keep the pics coming, we love to see them.
Thanks!

Will do!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
WOW. Awesome mods!
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
LS3 SS

Well, heres some updates on my car. My Elite Engineering Oil Catch can came in, and I installed it this morning. I recommend anyone who owns an LS3/L99, to purchase this product, as the fit,finish, and quality of the product is top notch. Here are the pictures :

Before :

After :

Old 08-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Nice car. Love the color! Keep those pictures coming.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Nice car. Love the color! Keep those pictures coming.
Thanks!! Just trying to live in your shadow! lol
Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
LS3 SS

Well it's been a few weeks since I had an update, so here we go!!

I decided to pull the trigger on a GM Heritage grill, because I got tired of looking at my big gold bowtie and "not so aggressive" (IMO) front end.

I tried to install it on tuesday this week, but I did not have the right extension to reach one of the bolts on the bumper to get it off. I was also mistaken on which bolt to remove, and that was cleared up by some overly helpful C5.com members here! (I love these forums).

So I installed the grill with the help of a co-worker wednesday and this is the result :

BEFORE OWNERSHIP

AFTER OWNERSHIP

AFTER HERITAGE GRILL

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
ZAPSSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Looking Good - Keep it up..........
Kooks LT 1 7/8 Catted Headers / Kooks Full Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI / Radiator Cover / Engine Covers, Billet Engine Bay Accesories, Hurst Shifter, Heritage Grill, Vengeance Stage II Cam / Tune, Eibach Coils, G2 Painted Calipers, Tinted Windows
ZAPSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote