Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
25homes

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss auto
what tune for my car?

Have 2010 SS AUTO have K&N CAI and muffler delete. Have new diablo intune on way only run 93 octane n car.. what tune would u recommend from this tuner... want AFM shut off and most performance...also when I get tuner do I have to do something to save my stock tune or is it on the tuner already?
Thanks
25homes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Why do you plan on keeping stock tune? IF its because of warranty the dealership will know if you tune your car. It has a counter thus voiding the warranty. Also I think i remember hearing that diablo tunes weren't that great. I could also be wrong though
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
25homes

I'm keepin stock tune so if I go on road trip I can put back stock and use afm for gas mileage. ..I work at dealership and don't care about warranty...bought aftermarket gmpp warranty bumper to bumper zero deduct...I have heard great things about diablo intune 93 octane with car with my mods...with only CAI and muffler delete in l99 no need for custome tune and have heard 93 octane tune with my mods will have this car come alive in an auto
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Awesome just wanted to make sure the warranty was a non issue. Like I sure maybe i was not remembering correctly about the diablo tune but hopefully someone else will jump in and give you some more input!
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
25homes

Really wondering if I have to save my stock tune or is it on tuner already...also when tuner arrives ordering tm will it b Ready to use or will it need updated?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I have a Superchips tune. I have a RotoFab CAI and flowmasters AT catback exhaust. Mine automatically saved the stock tune. I disabled AFM and the next day went to a show an hour away and still got 23 mpg. Not sure what the hp gains are yet, I will be putting it on the dyno next week. I did change the rev limiter and shift points. Now when I take off from a light, it hits the gears harder feeling more like a race car but on the interstate, its smooth sailing. The AFM being disabled is by itself worth it.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
25homes

Thanks angie did u custome tune or did a canned tune change rev and shift points or did this happen from disabling afm? I'm gonna run diablo 93 octane tune and turn off afm
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
The handheld tuners automatically save/store your stock tune. You'll need it if/when you discover that a custom tune is better suited to your needs. The shop of choice will modify your stock tune, then send it back to you. This is assuming you're not going to have a dyno tune. The tuner box will have a lot of options you can add to the tune including AFM, speed limiter, gears, tires sizes, etc. If you want to change them, you just check or hit modify. It's pretty easy and straight forward.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
A dyno tune is definitely going to be best. A mail order tune would probably be better than using the canned tune, but how much better, I don't know.

I'm interested to see how your mileage will be with vs without AFM. People have reported their MPGs actually going up when they disabled AFM.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
25homes

Ill let u know on mpg...any advice on other things to change on tune want it to shift btr the new intune u can access tcm but not sure what to change here any advice...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
25homes

@ET WHAT HP your car pushing and wat are your timez sounds pretty impressive
Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
hysonmb

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS
I bought an InTune and used the canned tune for a couple of days before ordering one from Ted Jannetty. The tune he provided improved performance both in the 1/4 mile and gas mileage.
As a big plus, he's very responsive and sent the tune file quickly after I paid then provided an update just as fast after I had a couple of dyno pulls.
Jannetty Racing is a sponsor here and highly recommended by members.
hysonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I'm interested to see how your mileage will be with vs without AFM. People have reported their MPGs actually going up when they disabled AFM.
I don't see how it could go up with it deactivated. I tested mine a few years back and found that I got an average of right at 18 mpg with a mixture of highway and city driving, with AFM active. This was taken after a month of driving with no long road trips or overly spirited driving. Zeroed it out and ran for a month with AFM deactivated. Again, no long trips, just to and from work and everyday driving around. Results were 18 avg with AFM, 17.9 without. These are from memory but I remember there only being 0.1-0.2 difference. If you were going out of town on a LONG road trip, I think AFM would be more beneficial. For everyday use, not so much.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
25homes

Exactly I think Once tuned and adding CAI the car can breath a lil and tuning it in I would think make it run more efficient b y mpg may not changeuch or go up...just b nice to have afm for long trip I would think