Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
CBRpilot

Drives: 2012 SS
Welding aluminum/stainless to mild steel

The x pipe from HeartThrob Exhaust (http://www.mufflermonster.com/index....roduct_ID=2490) is "aluminized". Any clarification on whether or not it's actually aluminum? I know from previous experience on my 98 WS6 (aluminum oil pan) that welding aluminum to aluminum is hard to do...so I'd imagine aluminum to mild steel may be as well.

If I don't go with HeartThrob's x pipe, the other one is stainless steel. Any complications that you guys know of firsthand? Thanks for any help you're able to provide
CBRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
woolf

Drives: 2011 SLP SS
The heartthrob x pipe is aluminized mild steel not aluminum. Both aluminized and stainless will weld to mild steel with the proper weld rod.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ezqXXgAnUus
woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Just about every muffler shop in the country does it all the time.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
CBRpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolf View Post
The heartthrob x pipe is aluminized mild steel not aluminum. Both aluminized and stainless will weld to mild steel with the proper weld rod.
Good to know. While I'd prefer a better metal, at least the base metals match up. I'm not concerned about possible insulation loss around the welds, or the rust-preventative qualities of aluminum. I'll be painting the exhaust from the point of the new x-pipe down with hi-temp flat black coating. That's what my WS6 had on it's custom 3" exhaust for 8 years and looked brand new when I sold it.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
woolf

Pretty certain the stock exhaust is a 400 series stainless. In my opinion I'd get the stainless x pipe.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
CBRpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolf View Post
Pretty certain the stock exhaust is a 400 series stainless. In my opinion I'd get the stainless x pipe.
What would be the point of doing one small stainless section? If I were going full stainless, I see the point. But I'm not. It looks Magnaflow stamped flat sheet stainless and then seam and/or spot welded them together to make the x pipe. It may be fine, but it may also have a totally shit internal shape with unsmooth transitions.

Edit: I know Magnaflow makes a good product, but the term "stamped" is what has me worried.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
The Magnaflow X pipe is cheaper than the heartthrob and is advertised as SS. Doesn't say what grade though. There are a few X pipes on Ebay that look exactly like the MF true X pipe for less than $40. One is 409SS and is around $35. That's the one i'd get if I had to do it over. I have the MF true X. If you have the L99, you'll have to weld in some tubing as well and if a muffler shop does it, it will most likely be aluminized.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
midas near me doesnt do anything in stainless, all their stuff is aluminized steel. for a good weld the aluminized coating should be grinded off.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRpilot View Post
What would be the point of doing one small stainless section? If I were going full stainless, I see the point. But I'm not. It looks Magnaflow stamped flat sheet stainless and then seam and/or spot welded them together to make the x pipe. It may be fine, but it may also have a totally shit internal shape with unsmooth transitions.

Edit: I know Magnaflow makes a good product, but the term "stamped" is what has me worried.
What he was saying is that welding in the aluminized x-pipe, the x-pipe will be the ONLY section of your exhaust that WON'T be all stainless. Your current exhaust is already 100% stainless. And the way the Magnaflow is manufactured as a stamped piece, it actually has smoother transitions than a traditional x-pipe that is made from two pieces.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
woolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
What he was saying is that welding in the aluminized x-pipe, the x-pipe will be the ONLY section of your exhaust that WON'T be all stainless. Your current exhaust is already 100% stainless. And the way the Magnaflow is manufactured as a stamped piece, it actually has smoother transitions than a traditional x-pipe that is made from two pieces.

Exactly

Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
The aluminizing process is where steel is hot dip into an aluminum/silicon bath. The silicon promotes better adhesion. Here is a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminized_steel