Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #57
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Let's watch the "ignorant" comments, please....and thank you.

and just because I say "I'd like to add a cam from GMPP, have it put in before delivery, and add an extra 50hp" DOES NOT mean that that's the only mod that I, or anyone else, would ever do to their car. It's simply a, like you say, more "advanced" mod that a lot of us would have no idea how to do....and wouldn't want to void their factory warranty in doing. SO..................... Let the factory install it....IF IT WERE POSSIBLE...take delivery, and then we get to spend small amounts of cash on simple air intake and exhaust mods. Yes, I know about intake/exhaust (read sig). That's about all I can afford right now. The next step for me WOULD have been headers and y-pipe...followed by heads and a cam if I could ever get the cash.

A cam is a start from the factory that a lot of us can't do...or don't want to attempt...or don't want to do and then void a warranty. Does talk of this REALLY bother you THAT much?????????????? Come......on.......
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #58
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysteel_M6 View Post
So much ignorance on this forum, not trying to knock you, but this a camaro forum, I mean just what in the hell do you guys talk about!? First GM will not have factory cam varieties available, their performance division has long since been selling performance parts such as camshafts. Also cams are not the first step in modding, it's an advanced mod, after bolt ons. There's not as much benefit in changing the engines breathing characteristics if it's choked up by intake/exhaust restrictions in the first place.

I'm calling BS all over that claim. It would be a feat to make that much power on a full bolt factory freak with a set of AFR heads, a monster cam and a miraculous tune.
Headers/cam/intake/tune will net you 506RWHP.. Proven here.... Where is the disrespect now...

LINK
Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #59
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^DOH!!! Might not be over 550, but 506? 46 hp shy is getting pretty darn close.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #60
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That's just about a Z06 for, um...a lot less $$. Cool!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #61
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

cam/headers/intake and tune isn't even full bolt-ons. Still need an exhaust, eH20 pump, under-drive pulleys, upgraded ignition packs, wires, ect.. can easily gain another 50+ hp...
Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #62
greysteel_M6

Drives: 00' SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Headers/cam/intake/tune will net you 506RWHP.. Proven here.... Where is the disrespect now...
Err, I believe the quote was 550 RWHP. ahem
greysteel_M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #63
greysteel_M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
cam/headers/intake and tune isn't even full bolt-ons. Still need an exhaust, eH20 pump, under-drive pulleys, upgraded ignition packs, wires, ect.. can easily gain another 50+ hp...
Ignition packs won't result in any gain, in fact they'll typically hurt it. Here's one excerpt http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ight=coils+msd I'm sure the owner in that other link you posted, did not feel the need to mention every single bolt on. It's unfair to say that it could have needed this or that to reach that bench mark when you have no real idea which of those or what else has been done. In the posted link, I believe unmentioned bolt ons would fall under the "Additional parts, modifications, upgrades & information: upgrades parts, ect..." Those are high numbers on stock heads regardless, and even giving you the benefit of the doubt, it still would not reach 550 RWHP. I'm not trying to call you out, but throwing around audacious numbers equates us to ricers.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 05-27-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #64
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysteel_M6 View Post
Ignition packs won't result in any gain, in fact they'll typically hurt it. Here's one excerpt http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ight=coils+msd I'm sure the owner in that other link you posted, did not feel the need to mention every single bolt on. It's unfair to say that it could have needed this or that to reach that bench mark when you have no real idea which of those or what else has been done. Those are high numbers on stock heads regardless, and even giving you the benefit of the doubt, it still would not reach 550 RWHP.
Wow, just wow... so ignition packs hurt hp... damn I guess I better go back to the drawing board because the racing industry has been doing it wrong for years according to the interwebz!

Believe what you want, but it is perfectly possible and has been done to get 550RWHP N/A without a stroker on an LS3. Arguing over the internet won't change that fact.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #65
greysteel_M6

We're not talking about upgrading retro'd distributors, we're talking about coil-on-plug ignition straight from the factory. I agree with you there, 550rwhp can and has been done out of a 6.2L LSX but not on stock heads.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #66
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
I thought the LSX was a build it yourself block. there weren't any "standard" parts. its supposed to accomodate builds from anywhere from 364cu (~6L) in to 511 (~10L).

The LS3 is a stout block. I dont know where the rwhp quotes came from but there are real world available 550hp LS3s
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Au...15a239243.html
and if you really want to get wild with a stroke and bore
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Au...15a239245.html
Im guessing 620 at the crank is pretty close to 550 at the brake

This is getting a bit far a field. the question was to the functionality of the LS3 and the "Hot Cam" GMPP lists for it.

One question was to its value
another was to how much would be required to actually to the "mod'
then there was also if we could see this a factory or dealer mod and if we could keep our waranty.

1) 50hp (on the Engine Dyno, I am sure) is still 50 hp. I think everyone will agree that you could go full tilt with heads, lifters, crank and an agressive cam to get far more than 50hp at the flywheel. So what, not the question in play. According to GMPP the only difference between the LS3 and LS376/480 is the Cam (and maybe the springs) look at the parts numbers between the 2 engines. They are nerely identical.

2) buy the new cam(obviously) and get a good mechanic (if you aren;t one) to install and tune it. There is also some notes out there that you will need a new wiring harness and that the new harness doesn't support standard guages.

3) Factory mod? nuh uh. Dealer mod..maybe. According to the Vette boards people are already going that route. There is also a number of notes that the parts coming from GMPP as they do allow you to maintain warranty.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #67
greysteel_M6

Not the LSX block, it also denotes various LSX engines, as in 1,2,3, 76, 92 etc... Their denoted that way, because they're of the same basic design. We use that term because when it comes to modified LSX derivatives (cam/head/intake), only the cubes divide their potential

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 05-27-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #68
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
I thought the LSX was a build it yourself block. there weren't any "standard" parts. its supposed to accomodate builds from anywhere from 364cu (~6L) in to 511 (~10L).

The LS3 is a stout block. I dont know where the rwhp quotes came from but there are real world available 550hp LS3s
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Au...15a239243.html
and if you really want to get wild with a stroke and bore
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Au...15a239245.html
Im guessing 620 at the crank is pretty close to 550 at the brake

This is getting a bit far a field. the question was to the functionality of the LS3 and the "Hot Cam" GMPP lists for it.

One question was to its value
another was to how much would be required to actually to the "mod'
then there was also if we could see this a factory or dealer mod and if we could keep our waranty.

1) 50hp (on the Engine Dyno, I am sure) is still 50 hp. I think everyone will agree that you could go full tilt with heads, lifters, crank and an agressive cam to get far more than 50hp at the flywheel. So what, not the question in play. According to GMPP the only difference between the LS3 and LS376/480 is the Cam (and maybe the springs) look at the parts numbers between the 2 engines. They are nerely identical.

2) buy the new cam(obviously) and get a good mechanic (if you aren;t one) to install and tune it. There is also some notes out there that you will need a new wiring harness and that the new harness doesn't support standard guages.

3) Factory mod? nuh uh. Dealer mod..maybe. According to the Vette boards people are already going that route. There is also a number of notes that the parts coming from GMPP as they do allow you to maintain warranty.
if you don't use the wiring harness you get from gmpp you won't need a tune. the harness you get comes with a maf, throttle position sensor for your pedal, ECM preprogramed for the engine with that specific cam along with some other minor stuff. like you said you won't be able to use stock gauges, GMPP would warranty the engine Plus harness. that's if you're buying the GMPP ls376/480 plus harness. I've been looking at getting that setup for my 98 camaro since blowing my engine.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #69
greysteel_M6

/\ Personally I would get a built bottom end L92 and spray the piss out of it. The rest of your engine and accessories are fine, no need to order a crate engine, waste of ca$h.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #70
GOT PSI

Drives: SRT-4
I would like to see a full mod list and possible dyno sheet of one of these 550 bolt-on/ cammed ls3s.