Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
First Car Accident

Hi Guys,

I've been posted for about a week now... If some of you know me, I just recently got my 2010 Camaro 1LT last week. TODAY, I HAD MY FIRST CAR ACCIDENT. 1 year driving a Rav4, 2 years driving a Nissan Versa, no accidents... first week of the Camaro? Accident.

Now, I will bluntly admit I am an Asian male (I get all the stereotypes for asian drivers and I laugh with you world) But, I am a responsible driver, I do not speed, I only bought the camaro because it just looks so sexy. In my years of driving, I have a clean record. Until today...

So here's what happened. I get to a red light..., Left turn signal on. Across from me, a Woman driving a gray Chevy Cavalier, is signaling Right. The street we would turn into, is a 2 lane street. Light goes Green, I see her right turn signal, so I assume it's safe to make a left turn. I make it... BAM, I hit her Driverside passenger door. My front right of my car is dented, so is her door. Any idea how that happened? She went STRAIGHT FOR THE LEFT LANE! She yells at me, saying "I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY". At the moment, i got confused, i mean this is my FIRST car accident. I get out, MY HEART STOPS... MY CAMARO!

The Police, Fire Department and Ambulance come pretty soon after... asking if we were okay... I, as a gentlemen, told them that i was fine, but they should tend to the lady. But the lady was being a bitch... she is a older woman.. i think around 50s? and shes just like, "Im dizzy, My back hurts"... needless to say, I got whiplash myself... and im typing with a sore back and neck lol. However, there was NO witnesses, no traffic cams. So, no proof on my side that I was following the rules, and she wasn't. I talked to the Constable (police officer), and explained as honestly as I could.. and she told me in that story, that the old lady is the one at fault. But you know how life is... always some circumstances. And I mean, it doesn't bode well for people to see a YOUNG ASIAN MALE, DRIVING A SPORTS CAR. THey would totally blame me from a first Glance.
Just goes to show you... It doesn't matter how well YOU drive, as long as there are other shitty drivers out there, you can get into accidents.

Man, right now, Im waiting for some inspections.. hopefully I wont have to pay too much... very bad day for me guys. I would love to hear your inputs, or if you have any stories you might like to share, it would make me feel a lot better. I'm still in shock my baby girl is Damaged.

Peace =D
jagan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
DiverNB

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Did you get a ploice report and all her information? If the lady is at fault, don't worry too much. Cars can be replaced/fixed, you however, can't be. Be glad you have your health

2004 Redfire Cobra
**SOLD**

DiverNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
why do you have to pay, if it was her fault?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
jagan323
I have no life

Thanks alot DiverNB, I think I'll be fine... but ironically, since im alive, I can see my Car isn't lol. If i was gone, i wouldn't have to worry too much I joke, I joke. But yes, I did get all her info, I have filed the report. So I hope things go well in the end!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
why do you have to pay, if it was her fault?
Well I live in canada, and where I live, the Insurance agency takes a look at both cars, takes in the reports, and they decide who pays what. Most of the time it's in a percent. So like a 50/50 at fault, or a 100% at fault, etc. Since I have no witnesses, I could possibly be charged. But Im hoping I wont be. I get my car examed on Monday... so I'll know for sure by then.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
DiverNB

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
I've been there man! Had someone rear end me when I was stopped at a stop light, took some fighting with the insurance company. Just make sure they REPLACE your body panels. Do not accept any kind of BS bondo or dent repair jobs.

2004 Redfire Cobra
**SOLD**

DiverNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Hi Guys,

I've been posted for about a week now... If some of you know me, I just recently got my 2010 Camaro 1LT last week. TODAY, I HAD MY FIRST CAR ACCIDENT. 1 year driving a Rav4, 2 years driving a Nissan Versa, no accidents... first week of the Camaro? Accident.

Now, I will bluntly admit I am an Asian male (I get all the stereotypes for asian drivers and I laugh with you world) But, I am a responsible driver, I do not speed, I only bought the camaro because it just looks so sexy. In my years of driving, I have a clean record. Until today...

So here's what happened. I get to a red light..., Left turn signal on. Across from me, a Woman driving a gray Chevy Cavalier, is signaling Right. The street we would turn into, is a 2 lane street. Light goes Green, I see her right turn signal, so I assume it's safe to make a left turn. I make it... BAM, I hit her Driverside passenger door. My front right of my car is dented, so is her door. Any idea how that happened? She went STRAIGHT FOR THE LEFT LANE! She yells at me, saying "I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY". At the moment, i got confused, i mean this is my FIRST car accident. I get out, MY HEART STOPS... MY CAMARO!

The Police, Fire Department and Ambulance come pretty soon after... asking if we were okay... I, as a gentlemen, told them that i was fine, but they should tend to the lady. But the lady was being a bitch... she is a older woman.. i think around 50s? and shes just like, "Im dizzy, My back hurts"... needless to say, I got whiplash myself... and im typing with a sore back and neck lol. However, there was NO witnesses, no traffic cams. So, no proof on my side that I was following the rules, and she wasn't. I talked to the Constable (police officer), and explained as honestly as I could.. and she told me in that story, that the old lady is the one at fault. But you know how life is... always some circumstances. And I mean, it doesn't bode well for people to see a YOUNG ASIAN MALE, DRIVING A SPORTS CAR. THey would totally blame me from a first Glance.
Just goes to show you... It doesn't matter how well YOU drive, as long as there are other shitty drivers out there, you can get into accidents.

Man, right now, Im waiting for some inspections.. hopefully I wont have to pay too much... very bad day for me guys. I would love to hear your inputs, or if you have any stories you might like to share, it would make me feel a lot better. I'm still in shock my baby girl is Damaged.

Peace =D
your story isn't written very well. how many lanes was the road you were on, both directions? You were making a left, correct? the through traffic going the opposite direction had a green light too, right? If so, regardless of what the lady chose to do, she had right of way.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
jty03

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
your story isn't written very well. how many lanes was the road you were on, both directions? You were making a left, correct? the through traffic going the opposite direction had a green light too, right? If so, regardless of what the lady chose to do, she had right of way.
+1 ... hope everything turns out for the best though, glad you're ok
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Are you serious? man... thats bad man lol. Weird how the Police officer told me that I wasn't at fault though =/ well.. no need to argue... I still might have to pay for it.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
the way i read it,he is turning left,she is turning right.they are turning onto the same street.they both turn,but the lady comes over to the left lane,instead of staying in the right lane after turning.i have always heard that the person to your right has the right of way,but it looks like she cut him off.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
I don't see how she is at fault... legally that is. The person with the turn signal on, in this case, her, has the right of way until Fully committed to the turn. Other than that, she was not at fault, legally... morally and intellegence wise, she was at fault.
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
So here's what happened. I get to a red light..., Left turn signal on. Across from me, a Woman driving a gray Chevy Cavalier, is signaling Right. The street we would turn into, is a 2 lane street. Light goes Green, I see her right turn signal, so I assume it's safe to make a left turn. I make it... BAM, I hit her Driverside passenger door.
I'm still trying to figure out how you hit her "driver's side passenger door"...

If you hit the drivers side "rear door"........I would think you had the last chance at avoiding the accident.....

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
JaxJags

Drives: 1994 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Even though she has to turn into the right lane, not the left lane. He said the lady turned into the left lane. You can not turn into the left lane unless there are two turn lanes.
JaxJags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Legally I don't know who is at fault, but she should get a ticket for being a dumbass.
If she is turning right onto a two lane road she should easily have seen you wanting to turn on the same road and she should have stayed in her lane. Freaking common sense.
Now if she didn't see you, well, yeah she's an idiot.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote