Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Tankslapper

Drives: Z28
Warranty...when do we void it?

I bought my car new and took out the extended warranty, seemed like a no brained at the time, 5year extension to the warranty on a track car for v little outlay...
Anyway 2years on and I suspect many of us are facing the same predicament, love the car but want to turn it up..

I have a few questions regarding the Chevy warranty and how anal they can get regarding servicing and mods.

1. Do I need to service the car at Chevy for the warranty to remain in tact?
2. If I start taking weight out of the car, (seats/cf roof/crash structures) does it jeopardize the drivetrain warranty?
3. What about headers/tune/cam?

I have Zero experience with Chevy...would really appreciate some advice..

Thanks
Tankslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Where in Az are you located?
The dealership I go to has been pretty awesome and generous to me. To answer some of your questions though.

1. As long as you can provide proof of service with OEM like quality of parts you will be good.

2. If anything you remove effects another part, then you loose the warranty for that item. In the same boat, if you pull out structural items, you loose the ability to get breaks that can be attributed to the items you removed no longer providing adequate support.

3. Those items can hurt a warranty claim when it comes to the power train because the car is not intended to be used with such mods.

GM and my dealer has said they will honor any warranty as long as the car is stock. Once you break into the motor you loose all ability to have GM fix anything powertrain related.

Just my 2 cents though.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is a forum, so here goes...

If you need a warranty, then don't modify your car. You can't expect to have it both ways.

This isn't directed at the OP, but in general, I'm not sure why this keeps coming up all over this forum. GM built a car and offered a warranty based on their design and build. They have been very generous to offer to cover the ZL1 and the Z/28--even on the track. But where does it end? How far can you modify their design and expect them to cover what YOU want on the car? Who should be taking on that risk? YOU.

You gotta pay to play. Mod away and have fun. But don't be surprised when nothing is covered.

Standing by for incoming...

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
aris

Drives: Z/28
I've spoken with a few different service managers about this at length. They said I could basically go nuts with the suspension components if I wanted (e.g., coilovers, springs, sway bars, trailing arms, camber plates, etc.) and it wouldn't have any effect on any claims against the warranty, except for the suspension components you replaced (obviously). Similarly, lighter body components shouldn't have any effect either.

Engine modifications, including everything from headers to different mufflers, and even in some instances a different intake pipe, can effect a very large part of the warranty (the entire driveline: engine + transmission + rear diff and everything between). If you want to retain arguably the most valuable portion of your warranty, leave that stuff alone.

But the biggest thing that can have an effect on your warranty is a cage. The second you install a cage in the car, the entire warranty is voided. I'm not sure if that includes a roll bar or not, so it may be worth asking your specific service advisor.

My car has some basic minor suspension modifications including springs, sway bars, camber plates, and extended studs, and I have had warranty work done on the car without any issues. I plan on modifying the drivetrain in the somewhat near future, once the warranty is mostly done.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is a forum, so here goes...

If you need a warranty, then don't modify your car. You can't expect to have it both ways.

This isn't directed at the OP, but in general, I'm not sure why this keeps coming up all over this forum. GM built a car and offered a warranty based on their design and build. They have been very generous to offer to cover the ZL1 and the Z/28--even on the track. But where does it end? How far can you modify their design and expect them to cover what YOU want on the car? Who should be taking on that risk? YOU.

You gotta pay to play. Mod away and have fun. But don't be surprised when nothing is covered.

Standing by for incoming...
This pretty much covers it! You may get away with claims with mods - but that is what it is, getting away with it.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Flipstyle72

Drives: Ashen Grey z/28
Chevrolet had partnered with ARH and you can purchase them through GM. Anyone know if the dealer does the install if warranty is still honored? That would be your only bet to upgrade headers and possibly keep warranty.
Flipstyle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
aris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipstyle72 View Post
Chevrolet had partnered with ARH and you can purchase them through GM. Anyone know if the dealer does the install if warranty is still honored? That would be your only bet to upgrade headers and possibly keep warranty.
Do you have any more info on this?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
aris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
This pretty much covers it! You may get away with claims with mods - but that is what it is, getting away with it.
I think the more important takeaway is that a single modification to a car does not (and absolutely should not) necessarily void an entire warranty. Like I said, I've been up front about it with my service manager about the few modifications I have, and he has still honored all of my warranty claims that were unrelated to the modifications. I didn't "get away" with a claim.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
You void your warranty when you're emotionally and financially willing to foot the Bill for a major component should it fail.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
Flipstyle72

Drives: Ashen Grey z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
Do you have any more info on this?

I haven’t researched or talked to anyone at gm yet. This taken directly from their website.
Attached Images

Flipstyle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Quote:
I think the more important takeaway is that a single modification to a car does not (and absolutely should not) necessarily void an entire warranty. Like I said, I've been up front about it with my service manager about the few modifications I have, and he has still honored all of my warranty claims that were unrelated to the modifications. I didn't "get away" with a claim.
Don't disagree with you on the single mod for "entire" warranty. Problem with you AC has nothing to do with adding headers. Sorry if you were offended by my "getting away with it" comment. I was not indicating in any way you or anyone else was not up front, just that when you mod, they get the choice, it is no longer in your hands.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #12
aris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Don't disagree with you on the single mod for "entire" warranty. Problem with you AC has nothing to do with adding headers. Sorry if you were offended by my "getting away with it" comment. I was not indicating in any way you or anyone else was not up front, just that when you mod, they get the choice, it is no longer in your hands.
Hah - no not offended at all. Just wanted to clarify.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Quote:
Hah - no not offended at all. Just wanted to clarify.
All good!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #14
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
My warranty was voided at 651 miles. 900 hp sounded like a better number for a toy.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote