Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #1
N2O

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Hurst line lock fitting issues

I was about to install my hurst line lock kit yesterday and when i was starting to fit the fittings on it i saw an issue. The fittings are not going fully inside as shown in the installation guide. They hardly go in 2-3 full turn and then they stop. Would it be safe like this?

On many other hurst line lock videos on youtube i saw that people's fittings are much down when compared to mine.

I am attaching the pictures where they wont go in any further..
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Are you supposed to use Teflon tape on tapered fittings?
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Those look like npt threads (tapered) so they are tightened as need be. No sealant is necessary. Tape can (most probably will) cause a problem as pieces can detach and get lodged in the system.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
bbnova

Drives: 2012 2LS
I use Teflon paste. I would suggest using it.

As far as how many threads, I would get ahold of the manufacturer.
bbnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
We thread thousands of NPT fittings at work every day in industrial applications. We use teflon tape or paste to help prevent leaking and galling, and on some joints, we also use a lubricant. If it were mine, I'd definitely use the tape (make sure to wrap it in the direction of the threads, 2-3 wraps).

Those fittings should go farther than that in my experience with NPT threads. Is this your first experience with NPT fittings? I ask because you might not have a good feel for "tight" with an NPT fitting if you've never assembled them. They are designed with a tapered interference fit, of course, so they take more torque than a normal thread.

You might have plenty of experience with tapered threads for all I know, but I thought I'd start with the elementary questions first. Best wishes!

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
JohnnyC
PURBRED

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1, 2007 Gmc Duramax
Go for the paste. You should never use Teflon tape in any hydraulic system. If a piece of that comes off it will plug orifices in your ABS valve
Old 12-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #7
N2O

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
We thread thousands of NPT fittings at work every day in industrial applications. We use teflon tape or paste to help prevent leaking and galling, and on some joints, we also use a lubricant. If it were mine, I'd definitely use the tape (make sure to wrap it in the direction of the threads, 2-3 wraps).

Those fittings should go farther than that in my experience with NPT threads. Is this your first experience with NPT fittings? I ask because you might not have a good feel for "tight" with an NPT fitting if you've never assembled them. They are designed with a tapered interference fit, of course, so they take more torque than a normal thread.

You might have plenty of experience with tapered threads for all I know, but I thought I'd start with the elementary questions first. Best wishes!

i have some experience in tightening npt threads but not tapered. The ones which i used to tighten,they used to go inside more then half way. Where as these just went maybe 3-4 full turns and stopped. While everyone on facebook ZL1 exclusive page told me to just tight where it wont go anymore and leave it.

Hurst website has no email adress to inquire about something. They only have a number,which is somewhat difficult when you are not in the states.

What you mean to say is even when i come to the point where it is not going inside by using alot of force,i should still force it in?
Old 12-12-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
no don't force it in, the deal is it is tapered with larger diameter coming after the smaller diameter, at work for plumbing I use a paste for sealing pipes, the distance it will go in is based on the females interior threads and the males exterior threads and how tapered it is. I agree I also use Teflon tape but not for more caustic substances, and you may just want to find a plug that is made not so cheap and tapered better it may cost $.50 for a good soft brass plug at a good plumbing place... take the unit with you.