Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
plowxman
Starsky

Drives: 2012 V8 SIM SS/RS
Quick technostalgia tail lights install

I have all the wires plugged into where they should be. unfortunately i was not given a connection for the purple wire. which is fine. my question is, where should i mount the ballast and do the old plugs for the bulbs need to be reinstalled?? HELP ALMOST DONE!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowxman View Post
I have all the wires plugged into where they should be. unfortunately i was not given a connection for the purple wire. which is fine. my question is, where should i mount the ballast and do the old plugs for the bulbs need to be reinstalled?? HELP ALMOST DONE!!!!
Look inside the new taillights and you'll see the plug in. You need to pull it out. Take the bulbs out of the of the old tail light connections and plug in the new plugs into the stock connectors where you pulled the bulbs out of.

For the ballast...I put them behind the taillights on the metal. Clean it well.

That purple wire hooks up the show mode. But needs a little extra work to be done. If your not going to use it then tape up the end or something. If you don't then it will ground itself when it bangs onself and you will be running show mods down the high way (trooper informed me of this when he pulled me over)
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
plowxman
Starsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Look inside the new taillights and you'll see the plug in. You need to pull it out. Take the bulbs out of the of the old tail light connections and plug in the new plugs into the stock connectors where you pulled the bulbs out of.

For the ballast...I put them behind the taillights on the metal. Clean it well.

That purple wire hooks up the show mode. But needs a little extra work to be done. If your not going to use it then tape up the end or something. If you don't then it will ground itself when it bangs onself and you will be running show mods down the high way (trooper informed me of this when he pulled me over)

Thanks for the quick respond!! I never thought of looking inside of there! Yeah probably not going to hook up with purple wire just for that purpose! So happy after the install!!! It took me maybe an hour and thirty minutes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks for the quick respond!! I never thought of looking inside of there! Yeah probably not going to hook up with purple wire just for that purpose! So happy after the install!!! It took me maybe an hour and thirty minutes
Haha yeah I got stuck with those things. I was thinking "how in the hell do these lights get power?" took my 15 mins or so to figure it out . If you connect the show mode to a switch then it will work just fine. Just for now I would tape off the end so you don't run into the issues I did
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
plowxman
Starsky

Quote:
Haha yeah I got stuck with those things. I was thinking "how in the hell do these lights get power?" took my 15 mins or so to figure it out . If you connect the show mode to a switch then it will work just fine. Just for now I would tape off the end so you don't run into the issues I did
well now i unplugged them to start to screw them into the car and once i unplug them and go to reconnect them they dont work??? so mad now, any ideas?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
well now i unplugged them to start to screw them into the car and once i unplug them and go to reconnect them they dont work??? so mad now, any ideas?
None of them work or some of them work? If some work and some dont then uou may need to unplug the bulb plugs and flip them. They are supposed to go in a specific way. I ran into a bunch of small problems? Just need to keep playing with them.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
plowxman
Starsky

Quote:
None of them work or some of them work? If some work and some dont then uou may need to unplug the bulb plugs and flip them. They are supposed to go in a specific way. I ran into a bunch of small problems? Just need to keep playing with them.
ya thats what i am trying to figure out!! pain in my @$$ thats for sure!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
ya thats what i am trying to figure out!! pain in my @$$ thats for sure!
The product is amazing...unfortunately the directions aren't so great lol
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
plowxman
Starsky

Quote:
The product is amazing...unfortunately the directions aren't so great lol
i have pissed off. I can only get one to work. any way that you would be able to tell me how the plugs are supposed to be? i must be blind or something. i have done everyway possible
Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
i have pissed off. I can only get one to work. any way that you would be able to tell me how the plugs are supposed to be? i must be blind or something. i have done everyway possible
Not that I noticed :/ .... while your playing with them have your taillights on so you can see when they are working and such or turn your hazard lights on. Make sure everything is plugged in.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
plowxman
Starsky

Quote:
Not that I noticed :/ .... while your playing with them have your taillights on so you can see when they are working and such or turn your hazard lights on. Make sure everything is plugged in.
i have my hazards plugged in. i have one light that is working.......... FML could the harness be plugged in backwards? i mean i had them working before i unplugged them to mount them!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #12
plowxman
Starsky

does it matter which way the ballast is plugged in??
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 AM   #13
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
i have my hazards plugged in. i have one light that is working.......... FML could the harness be plugged in backwards? i mean i had them working before i unplugged them to mount them!
Man idk. I had that problem also...only the two outsides were working... I just flipped the plugs that plug into the light (the plugs that you unplugged the bulbs from) and they all worked . Call the number in the morning. Don't get too frustrated over them. (I almost tore mine out and sent them back )

Quote:
does it matter which way the ballast is plugged in??
No I don't think so. Never hurts to try though lol. Maybe I just had gotten it right by chance in the first place lol
Old 12-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #14
plowxman
Starsky

Quote:
Man idk. I had that problem also...only the two outsides were working... I just flipped the plugs that plug into the light (the plugs that you unplugged the bulbs from) and they all worked . Call the number in the morning. Don't get too frustrated over them. (I almost tore mine out and sent them back )

No I don't think so. Never hurts to try though lol
i swear i have tried every possible plug in every way and still only one works