Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
s_silva1999

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2/RS
traction control and stablize comptivative modes

Hows it going guys and gals?? Quick question what is the best setting to be on if im racing and what does that stablize comptivative mode do for this car?? Read the owners manual but that wasnt much help.. thanks for any imput.
s_silva1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
I always drive with all assists off, makes the car seem much faster as its not bogging down hammering out of corners. Also had all assists off when i raced SCCA and got my quickest time that way.
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
It's something YOU have to figure out for yourself. Try the different modes and see which one feels better to you and gives you the best response. For some TC is fine, for others competitive mode works well, and for the above poster, everything turned off. They don't call everything turned off "donut mode" for nothing though. Some degree of TC is usually best.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
How do we turn everything off?
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
How do we turn everything off?

Hold the trac button down for about 8 seconds.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah hold it for 8 seconds and then go wreck your Camaro. Dudes be carefull insurance rates are going up enough because of folks trashing their cars turning off the safety stuff off and wrecking.

Most drivers these days did not learn on rear wheel drive and having as much power as the SS has can get you in alot of trouble without the safety stuff.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I thought it was two quick taps of the button to disable both?
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
I thought it was two quick taps of the button to disable both?
That puts it in competitive mode. If you turn everything off it's not like you're just going to drive into something automatically. People SHOULD know their driving capabilities and thus should put it in whatever mode suits them.

Competitive mode is to give a consistent, and very decent launch time and time again by basically taking the driver out of the equation when it comes to managing the clutch, accelerator, and spin of the tires.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
DTM
DTMphotography

Drives: 10' Camaro SS
Up in the mountains I'm in competetive mode 99% of the time, on the track everything is off!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
RickyTheStorm

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS,04 Colorado,06 ZX6R
I race at the track with everything off - on the road, well I never race on a public road, so everything is always on.

I found the following with my many tests:

Everything on - ran 13.51, launch wasn't strong, 60 foot was lagged, and couldn't spin dirt and water off

T/C Off (1 press) - ran 13.28, was able to spin tires to clean off though (something you can't do in an Auto if everything is on)

Competitive Mode (2 press) - ran 13.29 - not able to spin stuff off tires, 60 foot was the killer)

Everything off (hold 6-8 seconds) - ran 13.09 - able to spin clean tires, 1.995 60' (best I can get at the track I run) and ran strong the whole way.

The thing about everything off - watch out for spin out. Both on the launch and during shifts. If you don't have a built or tuned car you should be fine on the shifts, but the launch can throw you in the side wall if you aren't careful without T/C on.

With a built or tuned car be very careful. I had my car tuned and I was spinning on every shift even into 4th and had a little fishtail going but kept the car under control. I am not sure how stabilitrak would help at the track, but T/C would keep the spinning down.

Practice - and when you first start racing practice with all safety modes ON. Get used to the car, get used to the launch, etc. The only disadvantage is spinning the water off the tires in the auto, you will want to take T/C off for the spin and then turn it back off.

Once you get used to going down the track with everything on, go to competitive mode. See how it feels to you. Remember, T/C is still on in competitive mode, this is more for a loop track rather than a 1/4 mile track I think. However, try it, it is the next step up.

Then try it with just T/C off - remember you could spin out - if you start fishtailing, turn into the fish tail and let off the gas - your time will surely suck, but you won't wreck your car.

Then try everything off - again, you can easily spin out so be careful. Try all the modes, determine what best fits your driving style, and remember, if you tune or upgrade your car, start from the beginning as it will drive completely different!

IOM - 2SS/RS - Auto - IAP - Sunroof - Ordered 10/13 (#7 at dealer)
3000(accepted to production ): 4/19/09
3300 (scheduled for prod ): 5/11/09
3400 (broadcast ): 5/16/09
3800 (produced ): 5/22/09
4150 (invoiced ): 6/01/09
4200 (shipped ): 6/01/09
5000 (at dealer ): 6/12/09
6000 (delivery to me ): 6/12/09
RickyTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
At the track I run with the TC off (everything else on). I was pulling
1.90 sec 60' on Saturday that way (stock tires).

On the street I keep everything turned on. My car is tuned and its way to crazy with stuff turned off (no torque management). (L99 A6)
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTheStorm View Post
I race at the track with everything off - on the road, well I never race on a public road, so everything is always on.

I found the following with my many tests:

Everything on - ran 13.51, launch wasn't strong, 60 foot was lagged, and couldn't spin dirt and water off

T/C Off (1 press) - ran 13.28, was able to spin tires to clean off though (something you can't do in an Auto if everything is on)

Competitive Mode (2 press) - ran 13.29 - not able to spin stuff off tires, 60 foot was the killer)

Everything off (hold 6-8 seconds) - ran 13.09 - able to spin clean tires, 1.995 60' (best I can get at the track I run) and ran strong the whole way.

The thing about everything off - watch out for spin out. Both on the launch and during shifts. If you don't have a built or tuned car you should be fine on the shifts, but the launch can throw you in the side wall if you aren't careful without T/C on.

With a built or tuned car be very careful. I had my car tuned and I was spinning on every shift even into 4th and had a little fishtail going but kept the car under control. I am not sure how stabilitrak would help at the track, but T/C would keep the spinning down.

Practice - and when you first start racing practice with all safety modes ON. Get used to the car, get used to the launch, etc. The only disadvantage is spinning the water off the tires in the auto, you will want to take T/C off for the spin and then turn it back off.

Once you get used to going down the track with everything on, go to competitive mode. See how it feels to you. Remember, T/C is still on in competitive mode, this is more for a loop track rather than a 1/4 mile track I think. However, try it, it is the next step up.

Then try it with just T/C off - remember you could spin out - if you start fishtailing, turn into the fish tail and let off the gas - your time will surely suck, but you won't wreck your car.

Then try everything off - again, you can easily spin out so be careful. Try all the modes, determine what best fits your driving style, and remember, if you tune or upgrade your car, start from the beginning as it will drive completely different!
Thanks Ricky,

Good write-up
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
I turned both traction control and stability control off once and tried drifting... not good. The car kept spinning and spinning. I should've just turned off the traction control, not the stability control.
For racing, I suppose the competitive mode is the optimal one. But for drifting, you just need to turn off traction control.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Yeah hold it for 8 seconds and then go wreck your Camaro. Dudes be carefull insurance rates are going up enough because of folks trashing their cars turning off the safety stuff off and wrecking.

Most drivers these days did not learn on rear wheel drive and having as much power as the SS has can get you in alot of trouble without the safety stuff.
I think I'll be able to handle it, my IROC has a ZZ502 and my 71 has a built 355 in it, but I will definitely be careful, I don't want to wreck it., after we turn it off with the 8 second hold down, how do we turn it back on?
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote