Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Tribute

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL770 #17 (Hugger Orange)
I'm pretty certain they are going to use 5.1 which is glycol based versus silicone which shouldn't mess with the ABS seals. Just not sure which brand.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
Tribute

Hey Stephen - do you just run the ATE Superblue DOT4 at all times? Seems to have a good added boiling point. Maybe it's a bit safer than the 5.1?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Always refer to your owner's manual about the brake fluid. DOT 5 is silicone based and is not compatible with most if not all ABS systems. As mentioned above, DOT 5.1 is glycol based and should be fine. The boiling point is what to watch, and in most instances Motul 600 or ATE Super Blue or Super Gold meets the demands placed on brakes on a track. There are other brands out there as well, but these seem to be the most popular and easiest to find.

Most cars theses days come with DOT4, but the boiling point is much lower than the brands mentioned.

And my name is Chris, if I am at FATT I'm hard to miss as I'm usually giving your first classroom instruction of the day. I hope to see you guys out there, the Camaro needs more representation at the track. Sadly there are too few showing up. Lot's of Mustangs, and I know ya'll wanna crack at 'em!

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeko View Post
Hey Stephen - do you just run the ATE Superblue DOT4 at all times? Seems to have a good added boiling point. Maybe it's a bit safer than the 5.1?
yes...it is in the car right now. The fluid has been great and I have run the ATE Super Blue in three vehicles with no issues. It makes it nice when bleeding the system too. It isn't that expensive either.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Questions

Ok my car will be back out of the shop in about a week with over 600RWHP. My car has the 21 inch rims but just purchased 18-10 Forgestar for the rear and 18-9 for the front. I have M/T for the rear and Nitto for the front to use at the drag strip.
What tires do you recommend for use on a roadcourse track?

Also only roadcourse time I have was at VIR. I did both levels of the Aerial Atom class. The last class was a hour on the track by myself in Atom.
Never had my Camaro on any type of track yet so I would be a rookie. Suggestions where to start to get experience?
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Tribute

Sounds like FATT would be a good start. Any HPDE is going to be great. I enjoyed my time at Summit Point last year. Big thing with that power is throttle control and having a good brake setup. I'm running about the same power and its technically more power than needed for a road course, but does make the straights fun, just have to be careful.

As far as the tires go the closest to squaring up your tires is good practice for road courses. I run 285/35/20 front and 295/35/20 rear. It's atypical for American muscle to not have staggered setups and I have run with 255/40/20s Front and 295/35/20s rear and it did fine. You can run into oversteer issues, but for early HPDEs should be fine.

I'm still in the early stages as well, and its a blast. We should definitely try to get a group together. I've never done FATT, should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
Ok my car will be back out of the shop in about a week with over 600RWHP. My car has the 21 inch rims but just purchased 18-10 Forgestar for the rear and 18-9 for the front. I have M/T for the rear and Nitto for the front to use at the drag strip.
What tires do you recommend for use on a roadcourse track?

Also only roadcourse time I have was at VIR. I did both levels of the Aerial Atom class. The last class was a hour on the track by myself in Atom.
Never had my Camaro on any type of track yet so I would be a rookie. Suggestions where to start to get experience?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
yes...it is in the car right now. The fluid has been great and I have run the ATE Super Blue in three vehicles with no issues. It makes it nice when bleeding the system too. It isn't that expensive either.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Sounds like FATT would be a good start. Any HPDE is going to be great. I enjoyed my time at Summit Point last year. Big thing with that power is throttle control and having a good brake setup. I'm running about the same power and its technically more power than needed for a road course, but does make the straights fun, just have to be careful.

As far as the tires go the closest to squaring up your tires is good practice for road courses. I run 285/35/20 front and 295/35/20 rear. It's atypical for American muscle to not have staggered setups and I have run with 255/40/20s Front and 295/35/20s rear and it did fine. You can run into oversteer issues, but for early HPDEs should be fine.

I'm still in the early stages as well, and its a blast. We should definitely try to get a group together. I've never done FATT, should be fun.
What brand tire is the best for a road course?
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #23
Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
What brand tire is the best for a road course?
There are a lot of decent tires. I use Michiline Pilot Super Sports and have run PS2s. The ZL1 Goodyears are super sticky just no good on wet surfaces. Basically you want sticky.

I'm by no means a pro on this, just sharing what I've picked up. LostPony can probably give some additional sound advice. He is one of the instructors.

Last time I went I was the only camaro and it would be nice to discuss things in between track time. Wait until you see how far they push you before hitting the brakes.

It's truly a blast and you really do come away with quite a bit.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #24
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
And my name is Chris, if I am at FATT I'm hard to miss as I'm usually giving your first classroom instruction of the day. I hope to see you guys out there, the Camaro needs more representation at the track. Sadly there are too few showing up. Lot's of Mustangs, and I know ya'll wanna crack at 'em!
Hey Chris, was that you last Friday? I had a blast, although my tires would break loose in the corners without howling first, because it was so damn cold. Ah well. Not my fastest times but great for a first time on Summit Point.

Quote:
There are a lot of decent tires. I use Michiline Pilot Super Sports and have run PS2s. The ZL1 Goodyears are super sticky just no good on wet surfaces. Basically you want sticky.
I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports, too. 295 30 20's on 10.5 inch rims. They REALLY grab in the corners. Love 'em. Kinda pricey. I have basically chewed up my first set in 1 year.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
We met last season when I did a couple FATTs but I'll be out of the country this year. For some reason everyone remembers me as "the green one", can't imagine why. I should be back next year with a lot more tire and a lot more mods. The mustangs will have to wait until then.

The one in June was entertaining with the rain. Do you remember the guy with the brand new orange BOSS that couldn't get out of tech or shift into 2nd without grinding? Poor guy went home after going around the track at 20mph twice.

Last edited by Synner; 03-13-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports, too. 295 30 20's on 10.5 inch rims. They REALLY grab in the corners. Love 'em. Kinda pricey. I have basically chewed up my first set in 1 year.
I agree, good tires, but come at a price. Well worth it I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
We met last season when I did a couple FATTs but I'll be out of the country this year. For some reason everyone remembers me as "the green one", can't imagine why. I should be back next year with a lot more tire and a lot more mods. The mustangs will have to wait until then.
Camaros always look great in track pics! Awesome shot. Here's one of mine from last year.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
Tribute

I have yet to hit a track in the rain. I don't even take the car out in the rain, you are a brave soul.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
Synner

Drives: cars
2 people kissed the wall that day. Personally I think you learn more about control and smoothness when raining. I did leave the nannies on that day though but it was still a blast. You learn a lot more about exit lines, rpm, and throttle position.

Unless of course you have dry weather only tires, then its straight up stupid to try it.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote