Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #57
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I, never needed a truck, I've got relatives who let me borrow their (cough) Ford(cough), if I needed to do some heavy lifting. But I have a FWD Minivan (currently) and I'm a really, really, really good Winter Driver, thanks to the "New York" Factor...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #58
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Winter driving was fun in my old 4 runner with removable top, and my 87 EB bronco XLT. (had all options from both trims).

Driving around lake tahoe with ice on an empty street is tons of fun!!!

I drive my import fwd. It doesn't turn.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #59
Jester

Drives: Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
If the Camaro is going to be a mid to low 12 second car, don't expect the price to be around 30K, it would be closer to 40k. I think they will keep the camaro at least 3/4 second behind the base Corvette, If the Camaro was a 30K car running just a few tenth off of the vette, hmm Corvette sales will decline. I am expecting it to be high 12's -13.0' area it will be slightly faster than the last years F-Body with way more Bling Factor...
But the GTOs were running high 12's already. I dont see them coming out with the new camaro, it having 30 more hp than the GTO and running the same 1/4 mile times... I just cant see GM making their new baby = to the times of the old GTO
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #60
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
But the GTOs were running high 12's already. I dont see them coming out with the new camaro, it having 30 more hp than the GTO and running the same 1/4 mile times... I just cant see GM making their new baby = to the times of the old GTO
I have a point to add to this GTO v. Camaro comparison.

Look at the GTO I built, (this info right off of the pontiac website).
Quote:
Selected Style: Coupe

STANDARD:
Audio system: Blaupunkt, 200-watt, includes in-dash six-disc CD changer and 10 speakers
Engine, 6.0L V8 SFI aluminum, (400 HP [297.9 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 400 lb.-ft. [546.7 N-m] @ 4000 rpm)
Drive type: rear-wheel drive with fully independent rear suspension
Dual exhaust and hood scoops
Performance Brake Package with four wheel disc ABS
2 + 2 leather sport bucket seating
Sport tuned suspension system
Traction Control
Transmission: four-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive
Colors: Modify
Exterior: Cyclone Gray Metallic
Interior: Black Leather
Seat Type: Seats, front and rear sport bucket, Leather

OPTIONS
Emissions override, California, Massachusetts or New York (for vehicles ordered by dealers in states of California, Massachusetts or New York with Federal emissions)……………………..No Charge
Gas guzzler tax $1,300.00
Transmission, , 4-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive No Charge
Pricing:
Base MSRP*: $33,290.00
Options Total: $0.00
Total MSRP*: Estimate Payment $33,290.00
Subtract the $1300 gas guzzler tax - we KNOW the Camaro won't be dealing with that.

So we're at about $32,000, now.

Now, take into consideration that the GTO was a (generally speaking) limited-run Car.

I think Camaro can be easily priced below 30,000... Off topic, a little, but - I thought it was worth putting in since we were comparing the 2.

BTW, Pontiac tends to be a little more pricey than chevy anyways...

Oh, and I completely agree with the above by Jester.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #61
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I have a point to add to this GTO v. Camaro comparison.

Look at the GTO I built, (this info right off of the pontiac website).

Subtract the $1300 gas guzzler tax - we KNOW the Camaro won't be dealing with that.

So we're at about $32,000, now.

Now, take into consideration that the GTO was a (generally speaking) limited-run Car.

I think Camaro can be easily priced below 30,000... Off topic, a little, but - I thought it was worth putting in since we were comparing the 2.

BTW, Pontiac tends to be a little more pricey than chevy anyways...

Oh, and I completely agree with the above by Jester.
I agree, the GTO was brought over from Australia in limited numbers. With so many coming out of Canada, the General can afford a lower profit per car since they're making so many more Camaros than GTOs. Plus, the GTO wasnt a no frills car, it had quite a bit of luxury options on it. I just hope that GM wont obligate you to load up your car with options in order to get the biggest engine. I just want a lightly or no optioned car with the biggest engine and a 6 speed. Whether by a special package (1LE or similar) or just by keeping most of the features optional.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #62
Stig

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefan View Post
read the name, in my opinion chevy's are absolutely the most overated vehicles ever. i get so sick of hearing there the best there the greatest, sure gm outsells everthing the must have 500 different brands, but that doesnt mean there the best, dodge and ford have what 10 or 11. and they still almost outsell gm, truck wise ford kicks butt, car wise dodge and overall dodge. my mom barely knows the difference between a truck and a car and her and my dad both have owned chevy's and other gm's, and we didnt have anything but problems, broken cd players, pistons frying, rattling, car shutting off all of the sudden, ruff ride, faulty buttons, and eventually the whole motor blowing, every gm we have ever owned the motor has blown, and all of them were brand new, all blew up within the period of two months after getting the vehicle, my mom always goes back to dodge, and so does my dad, we have never had any problems with fords or dodges, chevy is so high on a pedistol they just throw a vehicle together and expect it to sell, they have no commitment, the motors are junk, and so is the whole vehicle, and the challenger will stomp the camaro, they did in the old days and will again, so chevy lovers dont hate appreciate, and get off of your high horse and realize there is other better vehicles out there and maybe you will realize chevys aint all that, there just a big heap of metal with a cheap engine, and crappy parts. why do you think chevy's are cheaper junky cheaper parts.

Dodge builds Challengers...Chevy builds Winners.

Remember that.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #63
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
That was awesome upstaging the challenger from the Get Go... not to mention debuting the Transformers movie...

Dodge fan should be banned, being the first post. that was a bit ridiculous.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #64
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I dont see the point to come onto a board, regardless of what it is, with the intention of making inflammatory remarks.

Ironically, you mentioned cars shutting off all the time (stalling) on Chevy's. Our Chevy's never had that problem, but our Jeep Commander does and Chrysler refused to fix it, although it is widely reported by many owners. They did issue a recall for the same problem from Dodges and Jeep Wranglers recently.

The Chevrolet LS engine has been on the list of Best Engines for years and the LS7 recently won the international Best Motorsports Engine, beating out every other engine. This was not just an American competition, it was based in Germany.

If your parents blew up any engine within two months of buying it, then they are obviously doing something wrong. Not putting in oil, maybe? There have never been widespread reports of this happening, so your family is alone is this problem.

As for quality, pick up a copy of JD Power's recently Quality Ratings. Chevrolet beats Dodge in every single category save for a few in which it tied. This is not from long ago, it is 2007.

I don't believe that GM is on any pedestal, they have very openly admitted that their company needs to change it's operations and that there are problems to be fixed. Bob Lutz has been very vocal in listening to the community to turn around GM.

As for Chrysler, they have been reluctant to issue recalls for problems that very obviously should be recalled. If anyone will remember the WJ Grand Cherokee (introduced in 1999). We had a '99 with 4wd. The transfer case would slip in and out of neutral. Stories made it into the news. The one that stuck in my mind was a man being pinned up against a garage wall because of the violent leaps and jumps that the problematic transfer case caused. I experienced them during the year we had ours. DaimlerChrysler would not fix the problem, not because it did not fit the outline of something that should be recalled (it did), but because it would cost money.

I'm not saying that Mopar is bad or that GM is perfect. They both have problems, but I do not see Chrysler being on a whole separate tier above GM.

Btw, the Ford truck best selling title is reached by combining the Ford F-150 and the Super Duty trucks, which are really two completely different platforms. Chevrolet does not include the identical GMC trucks in its sales figures. If it did, it would hold the title of best seller. Simply because of the badge, it can't. And simply because of Ford's badge, it can combine two different trucks into one large sales figure.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #65
Stig

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
I dont see the point to come onto a board, regardless of what it is, with the intention of making inflammatory remarks.

Ironically, you mentioned cars shutting off all the time (stalling) on Chevy's. Our Chevy's never had that problem, but our Jeep Commander does and Chrysler refused to fix it, although it is widely reported by many owners. They did issue a recall for the same problem from Dodges and Jeep Wranglers recently.

The Chevrolet LS engine has been on the list of Best Engines for years and the LS7 recently won the international Best Motorsports Engine, beating out every other engine. This was not just an American competition, it was based in Germany.

If your parents blew up any engine within two months of buying it, then they are obviously doing something wrong. Not putting in oil, maybe? There have never been widespread reports of this happening, so your family is alone is this problem.

As for quality, pick up a copy of JD Power's recently Quality Ratings. Chevrolet beats Dodge in every single category save for a few in which it tied. This is not from long ago, it is 2007.

I don't believe that GM is on any pedestal, they have very openly admitted that their company needs to change it's operations and that there are problems to be fixed. Bob Lutz has been very vocal in listening to the community to turn around GM.

As for Chrysler, they have been reluctant to issue recalls for problems that very obviously should be recalled. If anyone will remember the WJ Grand Cherokee (introduced in 1999). We had a '99 with 4wd. The transfer case would slip in and out of neutral. Stories made it into the news. The one that stuck in my mind was a man being pinned up against a garage wall because of the violent leaps and jumps that the problematic transfer case caused. I experienced them during the year we had ours. DaimlerChrysler would not fix the problem, not because it did not fit the outline of something that should be recalled (it did), but because it would cost money.

I'm not saying that Mopar is bad or that GM is perfect. They both have problems, but I do not see Chrysler being on a whole separate tier above GM.

Btw, the Ford truck best selling title is reached by combining the Ford F-150 and the Super Duty trucks, which are really two completely different platforms. Chevrolet does not include the identical GMC trucks in its sales figures. If it did, it would hold the title of best seller. Simply because of the badge, it can't. And simply because of Ford's badge, it can combine two different trucks into one large sales figure.
Great post Matt.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #66
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Just FYI, guys...he was a troll and was dealt w/ accordingly. But, we had some great responses from all the memebers and the posts stayed. Don't let folks like this get under your skin. Getting under your skin and pissing you off is their ultimate goal. Don't let it happen.

I also agree that was a well put together post.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 AM   #67
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
He was banned shortly after his post, he’s never coming back…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:56 AM   #68
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
He was banned shortly after his post, he’s never coming back…
That he was. Forgot to read his status under his name.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #69
Mr. Wyndham

I love doing that by accident. Talking to a banned..."ghost" I guess.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #70
wirewilly

Drives: 96 Eldorado
I like the Challenger,too. But I think it will be WAY to HEAVY by the time they get through with it.
wirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote