Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #57
green man

Drives: 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Swap the driver and passenger seats for a set of Sparcos, the stock ones are heavy.
Yeah, I'm looking into this. These seats aren't very comfy, it appears they were made for heavier people than me.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #58
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
All the things I suggested do not change the body panels, require painting/repainting, or change the interior. Most of the weight seems to be in the frame and suspension. Focus on light-weight upgrades there. Changing body panels can get expensive and the gain really isn't that much at all; you wouldn't even notice it actually. For the money you get a bigger bang for the buck reducing unsprung weight in the suspension and chassis.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #59
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
There's at least 75 to 100 lbs in the exhaust. The wheels alone are about 35lbs each for the stock 20s so you could probably get 5 to 10 lbs lighter per wheel there.. (and rolling weight > static weight) Coilovers is good for a decent reduction. After market sways perhaps could be lighter by a few lbs. My CAI is a bit lighter than stock airbox but probably not by more than a couple lbs.

I think 150lbs would be relatively easy, if not cheap, to take off without changing the look or drivability of the car.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #60
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
There's at least 75 to 100 lbs in the exhaust. The wheels alone are about 35lbs each for the stock 20s so you could probably get 5 to 10 lbs lighter per wheel there.. (and rolling weight > static weight) Coilovers is good for a decent reduction. After market sways perhaps could be lighter by a few lbs. My CAI is a bit lighter than stock airbox but probably not by more than a couple lbs.

I think 150lbs would be relatively easy, if not cheap, to take off without changing the look or drivability of the car.
As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, the stock exhaust system on the LS3 from the cats back weighs 70 lbs. If you replace it with a catback exhaust and go with 3" pipes you might save about 15-20 lbs over the stock system. The front 20" wheels weigh 62 lbs with tires, and the rears weigh 67 lbs with tires. When I upgraded to the Pedders Xa coilovers all 4 combined were 20 lbs lighter than stock. I wouldn't expect to save too much on sways.

150 is not that easy to remove and not particularly cheap either. Catback exhaust will run at least $1,000, lighter wheels will be at least $1,600, good coilovers will also be around $1,600. Expect to spend at least $4,500 just for those 3 areas.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #61
odman_1
Green Mile

Drives: 2010 LT1 Camaro
TAKE OUT WINDSHEILD AND WEAR GOGGLES!!
odman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #62
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, the stock exhaust system on the LS3 from the cats back weighs 70 lbs. If you replace it with a catback exhaust and go with 3" pipes you might save about 15-20 lbs over the stock system. The front 20" wheels weigh 62 lbs with tires, and the rears weigh 67 lbs with tires. When I upgraded to the Pedders Xa coilovers all 4 combined were 20 lbs lighter than stock. I wouldn't expect to save too much on sways.

150 is not that easy to remove and not particularly cheap either. Catback exhaust will run at least $1,000, lighter wheels will be at least $1,600, good coilovers will also be around $1,600. Expect to spend at least $4,500 just for those 3 areas.
Finally, someone who knows what he’s talking about. Listen to your Doc

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #63
advfire

Drives: 2010 SS Black
lighter camaro

fill the tires with helium
advfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #64
aet08

Drives: c
kick the passenger out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************ View Post
Who has the lightest weighing 2010 Camaro out there?

Looking to see what everyone is removing to keep their cars on a diet but still streetable.

Here is a quick list of things that can be removed without harming driveability:

1. Spare Tire
2. Back Seats
3. Front Sway Bar
4. Change stock mufflers for aftermarket exhaust (24lbs each stock muffler) Thank you jagan323 for that info.
5. Get Long Tube headers and replace factory manifolds
6. Lightweight wheels (18 Inch Lightweight)
7. Skid plate? not sure if there is one on there
8. Tow Brace? I know the GTOs had one and they weigh like 30lbs
aet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #65
SSizzle

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 Camaro 2SS
"
Quote:
Does anyone know if you can have your car reweighed and lower the price of your registration? I live in Maryland and vehicle over 3700 pay extra
."

As far as I know the MVA goes by what is printed on the original certificate of origin or title. They will not allow you to weigh in any other way.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #66
matteoviviano

Drives: 96 Z28
The Camaro holds approx. 14 gallons of fuel which is a no brainer but what people don't often know is that a gallon of gas weighs 8.66 lbs. Running on a 1/4 tank of gas is approx. 100 lbs that you could save by not doing any modifications
matteoviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #67
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
removed my ex-husband....saved about 200lbs
very smart weight reduction method!

I got rid of my stock mufflers they wer pretty heavy that was a good 40 -50 lbs off, now have straight pipes love the sound!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #68
BoomBoomKid

Drives: Gen 1 Gen 3 soon Gen 5
There is a lot of safety bracing in the doors, in the bumper area that can be removed, for racing only. A lot of of the deadening insulation material can be removed to save weight. Don't forget the glass, go with lexen or something lighter where the rules permit. Remove the power windows HW and replace with latches.

If you really want to start with a very light car start with a "body in white" from the factory.

I hear Mustangs can be made very light when their engines are removed to become boat anchors...JK!
BoomBoomKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #69
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteoviviano View Post
The Camaro holds approx. 14 gallons of fuel which is a no brainer but what people don't often know is that a gallon of gas weighs 8.66 lbs. Running on a 1/4 tank of gas is approx. 100 lbs that you could save by not doing any modifications
1/4 gallon of fuel on this kind of cars runs out quick! specially if your having a little to much FUN! ehhehe
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #70
CarbonSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I got this thread on my phone while I was driving and immediately ejected my passenger, and I tell you what, noticeable difference right off the bat!
CarbonSS is offline   Reply With Quote