Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Brake caliper upgrades

OK - forgive me for having some time on my hands this morning. I have my Mother's one-owner 1967 Mustang (don't get excited - it's a coupe with 3 on the floor and a 200ci 6-cyl). One of the more significant engineering issues is the lack of braking authority in 4 drums.

Therefore, since I've been old enough to write the check for my own ride, I've over-braked everything I've ever owned...if there was an option, I got it.

Now...there's the 4-piston Brembos on the SS version of the 2010 Camaro. I can dig this with the 8-cyl and all. However, can anyone shed light on the interchangability of the single piston on the 2LT model and the 4 piston on the SS'. Any thoughts on feasibility, cost, etc?

As I get older, my only two criteria on the functionality of a car is to have an air conditioner that blows snow in Dallas in August and brakes that start to stop as I start to move my foot to the pedal.

Thanks~!
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHCPA View Post
OK - forgive me for having some time on my hands this morning. I have my Mother's one-owner 1967 Mustang (don't get excited - it's a coupe with 3 on the floor and a 200ci 6-cyl). One of the more significant engineering issues is the lack of braking authority in 4 drums.

Therefore, since I've been old enough to write the check for my own ride, I've over-braked everything I've ever owned...if there was an option, I got it.

Now...there's the 4-piston Brembos on the SS version of the 2010 Camaro. I can dig this with the 8-cyl and all. However, can anyone shed light on the interchangability of the single piston on the 2LT model and the 4 piston on the SS'. Any thoughts on feasibility, cost, etc?

As I get older, my only two criteria on the functionality of a car is to have an air conditioner that blows snow in Dallas in August and brakes that start to stop as I start to move my foot to the pedal.

Thanks~!
It should be really straightforward. You just need to make sure you get the caliper bracket; everything else should fit. However, it'll also be expensive. Brembo stuff ain't cheap and OE stuff ain't cheap. You might be able to pick up a set of take-offs from someone with an SS who went bigger.

Cost? No idea. A lot. Brake bling is always pricey.

Oh, and we don't know if the rear 14.4 is going to fit under stock 18s yet, so keep that in consideration.

Last edited by LSxJunkie; 12-08-2008 at 01:20 PM.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I wonder how much, if any, the knuckles will be different between the V6s and V8s. If they're the same, you should be able to pretty much swap them over, with a bracket if necessary. I imagine when some of the members here, who are GM parts guys, start getting catalog information, they'll be able to look it up for us, among many other questions we may have. I imagine the interchangability should be pretty good. There might be a bigger master cylinder by virtue of there being something like twice as many pistons in the brake system.

Yeah - it might be tight with 18s though. Well, ZR1s have 15.0-inch front rotors and 19-inch wheels, so it may be possible, but I'm sure the barrel design in the wheel will dictate a lot of clearance allowance.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote