Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Squeezing out HP with only bolt-ons

So, I have promised myself that I would not do forced induction because

A ) Reduces life of the engine
B ) I would kill myself

So, I'm trying to go for the "sleeper" approach and do minimal mods to the look of the car, but get every bit of performance out of it. So far, I have the following

- K&N Typhoon CAI
- VMax CNC Ported Throttle Body (GREAT mod!)
- Separate clutch reservoir (no real HP gains)

I'm at the point now where I need new tires. I'm pretty certain I will be getting the Goodyear Eagle GT tires for a nice balance between longevity, performance, and weathered driving conditions compared to my Pirelli's (not impressed with them)

So, I'm left with the following ideas for mods

- Catch can (no performance gains. Still debating it's necessity in the long run)
- Exhaust ( I'm liking the SOLO performance exhaust shown below, but recommendations are always welcome)

With that being said, are there any other easy mods I can do myself (amateur) that won't break the bank that will add to the performance?

EDIT I have a 2012 Camaro 2SS M6 LS3

Last edited by Runawayhacker; 07-09-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added model of car
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Headers depending on your mechanical skills
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
What is your goal and budget?

You can go with LT Headers, a tune etc...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Runawayhacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
Headers depending on your mechanical skills
Just watched an install video of headers on a LS3 and sad to say, I don't have the resources to this myself. However, I may have to make an exception to my rules for this one.

Can someone explain exactly what the aftermarket headers are doing to give more HQ/Torque? Is it similar to the throttle body where the surface is polished thus reducing drag/backpressure?

EDIT
Derp. Google-Fu wins every time. Good article to read up on
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s/viewall.html
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
If you want to "get every bit of performance" out of it, get rid of the K&N typhoon and buy a Cold Air Inductions brand intake with scoop.

And yes, get a catch can if you like your engine and want to "get every bit of performance" out of it. It won't add any power but it will help keep power robbing gunk out of your intake tract.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Just watched an install video of headers on a LS3 and sad to say, I don't have the resources to this myself. However, I may have to make an exception to my rules for this one.

Can someone explain exactly what the aftermarket headers are doing to give more HQ/Torque? Is it similar to the throttle body where the surface is polished thus reducing drag/backpressure?

EDIT
Derp. Google-Fu wins every time. Good article to read up on
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s/viewall.html
Headers flow better and allow the exhaust gasses to exit the engine faster thus allowing more air into the engine at a faster rate. More air and fuel you cram into an engine the more power. The better it breathes, the more power. Thats the basics. You can also research the scavenging effect headers have on the exhaust flow.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
HaulnJ

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 GFX Heritage grill
Installed the complete Stainless Works system, Long tube headers and cat-back , on my 2010 LS3 SS/RS . The fit and finish is spot on, first header and pipe install without having to go to the parts store or bend stuff to make it fit. The sound and performance are awesome. Dyno tune Wed. will find out what the true HP numbers are then.
HaulnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
bcamaro1

Drives: Blue ray w/ silver stripe 2ss
Headers are your best bet for hp gains or even just switch out those retrictive stock cats. I installed all my performance upgrades myself and was my first time I sure you could do them. You can even install the headers off of jack stands.

First car-2011 L99, Vmax ported throttle body 90mm, Vararam intake, flowmaster outlaw exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ Cats, PCM tune
bcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Is it similar to the throttle body where the surface is polished thus reducing drag/backpressure?
Similar to putting helium in the tires to make the car lighter.

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Similar to putting helium in the tires to make the car lighter.
Lol okayyyy..........

Last edited by Dtrimpi87; 07-09-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Headers and 25% UDP can get you around 50whp if not a little more......Neither is incredibly difficult.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Beyond headers and a tune you should then look at suspension. Getting the car to put the power to the ground is just as important. I've beaten plenty of cars at the race track that actually had more HP than me but they didn't have a way to put it to the ground. They spun....I left.

After suspension you should consider gears as well. Also, getting lighter wheels will help with un-sprung weight.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Beyond headers and a tune you should then look at suspension. Getting the car to put the power to the ground is just as important. I've beaten plenty of cars at the race track that actually had more HP than me but they didn't have a way to put it to the ground. They spun....I left.

After suspension you should consider gears as well. Also, getting lighter wheels will help with un-sprung weight.
Great advice...Headers/UDP/SUSPENSION!
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Runawayhacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

Specifically, what would you recommend for the suspension?