Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sealing and Waxing with Vinyl Stripes? What to do?

SO i have a fair amount of vinyl on my car -

including:

matte black hood
matte black roof
matte black trunk
hash marks
side javelin
lower door piece

good news is the hood, roof and trunk save me from having to do the whole car, however what do I do to make sure I can hit all of the paint I have exposed but not ruin the vinyl.

Is the best solution to tape off and just get as close as I can without "chancing" it?

What is the best technique for this?
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
KBsSS

Drives: 2013 Corvette 2LT
http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/134...vinyl-stripes/
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I have owned both types, never wax matte, the shinny ones thus far I can do anything to them and they look good! sealant seems to be the best way to go with either type IMO

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
So seal all of the vinyl just don't wax ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
So seal all of the vinyl just don't wax ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
from my own personal experience doing both the shinny stripes you can pretty much do as you please but the matte seems to show the carnuba wax when applied, leaving spots, sealants not so much. will never go Matte again, they just don't seem to weather all that well IMO.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Yes, and just tape off the edge of the matte vinyl when you wax the rest of the car.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Super VRT is ideal for matte vinyl. NO clay bar/polishing/wax on them as it will accumulate residue over time and turn them gray/chalky.

Glossy vinyl can be waxed just as the rest of your paint can without any issues. Just be cautious with vinyl since it's so much softer than clear coat. Once it's damaged, fixing it is almost impossible in most situations. It either will have to be removed or replaced.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Super VRT is ideal for matte vinyl. NO clay bar/polishing/wax on them as it will accumulate residue over time and turn them gray/chalky.

Glossy vinyl can be waxed just as the rest of your paint can without any issues. Just be cautious with vinyl since it's so much softer than clear coat. Once it's damaged, fixing it is almost impossible in most situations. It either will have to be removed or replaced.
Can you use the Machine Super Sealant on matte black vinyl without leaving residue? I have never tried it so I was curious. And I do mean by hand with the pad and not with a DA polisher.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
No, I wouldn't for a few reasons:

• MSS has glossifiers in it, the opposite of a matte finish.
  • Hand application on paint isn't recommend due to the difficulty of getting a thin, even coat. On matte vinyl, this "tire stripe" effect would be even more obvious.

Stick with Super VRT, or Quick Sealant in a pinch. MSS or Liquid Paint Sealant would add too much gloss.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote