Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
1000 miles = insanity. wtf?

Just a question I'd like to ask other SS owners. First, the lead in (queue dramatic music)...

I've had my SS for just over 2 weeks now. I was fortunate to be able to break in my engine on a couple closed highways at the foot of the Rocky Mountains (with RCMP permission, of course). RCMP = Canadian federal police, for non-Canadians. :flag2: I went with the hard break-in method and after 300 or so klicks (200 miles) noticed a loosening of the throttle, with corresponding boost to acceleration. Very nice! This corresponded perfectly with what Darin posted about hard break-ins. Well I just passed the 1600 km mark (1000 miles) and I've noticed another power band. My 2nd gear makes passengers' "eyeballs crush into their heads." A direct quote from a passenger. I took several friends out driving last night and two (out of four) looked white when they got out afterwards. To quote one... "You are NOT lacking in power! I think I saw Jesus for a moment there." A lady friend of mine was scrambling for something to hold on to when I punched into 2nd gear, and even into 3rd.

This is all well and good, but my question is... is this normal? ??? From my reading of the forums for the past four months I was expecting a slight increase around the 150-300 kilometer mark (100-200 miles), and another stronger kick in the 2500-3000 km range (1500-2000 miles). I saw the increase after the 200 mile mark, but...

Is my car peaking early or what?

I'm thoroughly loving my SS and driving it like I stole it. By that I mean using the engine to accelerate but never to decelerate. Taking him in for his first oil change on Wednesday, of course. I thought I would defer to the wisdom of those who've gone before me to find out what is to come. This last kick in torque has taken me completely by surprise since it occurred so early. Should I expect anything more in the miles to come, or is he done? To be honest, I really didn't expect this much of a response in the engine... so I'm spinning my wheels (so to speak) on what I should expect.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Fuzion

Drives: 2010 2SS Chevy Camaro
Link to method of breaking in you used!
Fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Sounds right. Mine did the same thing, but I didn't break mine in hard. The SS is just a monster!! I love giving people rides, when I punch it they sh** they're meal!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Sounds right. Mine did the same thing, but I didn't break mine in hard. The SS is just a monster!! I love giving people rides, when I punch it they sh** they're meal!!
Thanks, SSOOCH! That's exactly what I wanted to hear from an experience 2010 SS driver. Whew!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I can't help you. Mine got broke in by ripping some fuses out. at 7000 miles.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Amen brother!!! When someone says show me what this puppy will do, I say ok, but you got to wear a diaper if you really want to see what she'll do. . I don't want that on my seats.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
My Wife always yells "G** D***it, tell me when you're going to do that so I can put my head back on the headrest"

She was talking about when I get on it..(the throttle...of the Camaro)! *sick puppies
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
My Wife always yells "G** D***it, tell me when you're going to do that so I can put my head back on the headrest"

She was talking about when I get on it..(the throttle...of the Camaro)! *sick puppies
Oh! Sorry!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
get in...sit back...shut up...and hold on !
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
iluvmy67camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Red Jewel
I didn't do a nice and easy break in, I drove her like I stole her from the moment I left the dealership. 4,300 miles later she is possitively a Beast! So don't feel bad, my daughter swears almost every time she gets out that she will never get back in again because of the way I drive... Like I stole it. I had "Litte Red" revved up pretty good the other night, we were flying down the road and I swear we had a little bit of air time and her face turned positivly green. Poor kid, she's been riding in Camaro's with me since she was 9 years old, she ought to know what to expect by now! lol
Old 03-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzion View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=engine+break

Here you go. Enjoy!

MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzion View Post
I followed Darin Morgan's break-in method religiously.

Link here.

Darin is careful to state at the beginning of the thread, DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE. The Camaro Owner's Manual has an excellent break-in method. I chose not to follow it and go with what I know. What do I know? I teach physics for a living... particularly the physics of motors and generators. I will repeat Darin's warning though... if you go with a hard break-in of your engine, you do so at your own risk. If in doubt, follow the owner's manual. You cannot go wrong with that method. However, keep in mind it wasn't the engineers that wrote it.

NOTE: It is important to not let your engine slow your car down. By that I mean when you achieve the speed you want... shift into neutral. (If you're driving an automatic, you can shift into 'N'... but you do so at your own risk. Be careful, make sure you only shift into 'N'). I use the manual transmission, and even when driving in the city I accelerate quickly then pop it into neutral and coast to the next light. USE THE BRAKES to slow your car down, that's what they're for.
For those, like myself, who chose to do what we think is best... allow me to summarize the "hard break-in" method.

1) You don't need to start from a stop, just a slow(er) speed. The idea is to have varying rpms on your engine, rather than a constant rpm.
2) Start slow, then hammer the accelerator. Yep, floor it. Shift when you get nervous, but do not redline it! Personally, I kept it at around 6000rpms, and usually shifted in the 5500-6000 rpm range.
3) When you top out in speed (Darin personally went for 80 mph, I went for something similar albeit a little faster ) shift your car into neutral. Then use the brakes to slow your car waaaay down... and do it all over again.

I take no credit whatsoever from this break-in method. Darin is the one who posted it, and he's the engineer... so takes ALL the credit. Rightfully so! I decided to follow his advice and couldn't be happier! There are people who followed the Owner's Manual and are extremely happy with what they've achieved. It's up to you to decide what is best, as it's YOUR car. I recommend people read Darin's thread, and decide for themselves.

Camaros ROCK!

la...la...la... nothing to read here...

Okay, if you're still reading... here's a benchmark. Here in Alberta, Canada the speed limit on highways in 110 kph (68.75 mph). When breaking the engine in I could get my Camaro up to just over 100 kph (63 mph) in 2nd gear (around 6000 rpms) before having to shift into 3rd. Neutral! I meant "shift into neutral". *cough*

Last edited by Ravirn; 03-14-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Ravirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmy67camaro View Post
I didn't do a nice and easy break in, I drove her like I stole her from the moment I left the dealership. 4,300 miles later she is possitively a Beast! So don't feel bad, my daughter swears almost every time she gets out that she will never get back in again because of the way I drive... Like I stole it. I had "Litte Red" revved up pretty good the other night, we were flying down the road and I swear we had a little bit of air time and her face turned positivly green. Poor kid, she's been riding in Camaro's with me since she was 9 years old, she ought to know what to expect by now! lol
Careful what you say, someone could get you for reckless endangerment.

SSOOCH's car started performing only after he had sex with it. We saw the pics
Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
iluvmy67camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
When breaking the engine in I could get my Camaro up to just over 100 kph (63 mph) in 2nd gear (around 6000 rpms) before having to shift into 3rd. Neutral! I meant "shift into neutral". *cough*
Ahh, the joys of driving a manual shift. Alas, my bad back (thus semi-numb left leg) does not allow me the pleasure anymore.