Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
did i wax my car too early?

VIN: 2G1FA1EV4A9181301
I went to Advance auto part today, and ask a staff there. I asked him what kind of wax should I used? The one i bought yesterday can't be use on my stripes.

Then he said, what kind of car you have. I said yellow 2010 camaro with stripes. Then he pick up Turtle wax ice, a liquid spray one. Again he told me that. The car is too new to wax. The recommended is 1 year after freshly painted.

Anyway i don't know how long my car has been built, i pick it up at the dealer. Its been parked there for a while. So... Hopefully I didn't waxed it to early.
spoone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I wouldn't take advice from anyone who's selling you ICE.

Your fine.. the paint goes through a curing process at the factory, not to mention the time it takes to actually ship and deliver the vehicle.. I wouldn't worry about waxing too early.. I waxed mine the day I brought it home.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
I wouldn't take advice from anyone who's selling you ICE.

Your fine.. the paint goes through a curing process at the factory, not to mention the time it takes to actually ship and deliver the vehicle.. I wouldn't worry about waxing too early.. I waxed mine the day I brought it home.

If any sales person recommends ICE turn around and walk out.

The rule for waxing after a paint job is 30 days not a year and does not apply to factory paint jobs. Factory cars are baked in an oven at 450 degrees for several hours and are cured before they ever get to the dealer.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

The rule for waxing after a paint job is 30 days not a year and does not apply to factory paint jobs. Factory cars are baked in an oven at 450 degrees for several hours and are cured before they ever get to the dealer.
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

What's wrong with ICE?
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
My HHR is 3 years old and I have never waxed it.. it sits outside every day in all types of weather (not Garage kept) driven 365 days a year and is still as shiny as the day I brought it home... I only wash it when I can't stand to look at the dirt any more.. thats about every 2 months. When I do wash it, It looks like I just bought a brand new one......

All Joking aside, Too much washing, waxing and polishing will destroy a paintjob.. be reasonable use only non abrasive products, your paintjob will last much longer...
Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
I guess i'll keep using Rainx wax. do i have to wax the car every time i wash it? or just kinda polish it dry. I washed my car with turtlewax carwash soap. it come out pretty good.
spoone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
you can wax your car after it is 3 months old and yes,ice is a very good product to use on your stripes.i use it on mineit is safe for them.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
stirthepot

Drives: 2010
you can wax a brand new car. there is NO wait time required with factory paint. 20 years ago it was different but today its fine. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

I would tell you to wax it IMMEDIATELY to start protecting the finish
stirthepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
All Joking aside, Too much washing, waxing and polishing will destroy a paintjob.. be reasonable use only non abrasive products, your paintjob will last much longer...

I'm going to need an explanation as to how waxing will destroy your paintjob?

Here's a couple before polish and wax...

Here's a couple after...

I can't imagine why anyone would want to polish or wax their car??

Last edited by 2LTRS; 04-18-2010 at 06:10 PM.
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:

While it protects the finish, everytime you do it, just a little tiny bit of it gets buffed off. My dad has an old Miata (no clear coat from the factory), and every time it gets waxed, the cloth used turns red. No big deal if you wax only once a year, but if you did it every week, eventually......
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

Here's a couple before polish and wax...

Here's a couple after...

I can't imagine why anyone would want to polish or wax their car??
Addng to what the previous post said, many waxes are cleaner waxes and the way they do that is to remove a little material every time you wax with it, basically what a polish also does. when you wax every week with one of those then you are going to finally go through the clear coat into the color coat, and when you start seeing color on your rag you have gradually destroyed your paint job.. that is why i said always use a non abrasive wax...
The pictures you post are of a custom paint job, I bet it is much thicker than a factory paint job like on our cars. it can withstand many more waxings and polishings than a factory paint job can...
Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
While it protects the finish, everytime you do it, just a little tiny bit of it gets buffed off. My dad has an old Miata (no clear coat from the factory), and every time it gets waxed, the cloth used turns red. No big deal if you wax only once a year, but if you did it every week, eventually......
Sticking to the thread. Modern Camaro's don't have single stage paint jobs, and clear coat is much different.

Quote:
Addng to what the previous post said, many waxes are cleaner waxes and the way they do that is to remove a little material every time you wax with it, basically what a polish also does. when you wax every week with one of those then you are going to finally go through the clear coat into the color coat, and when you start seeing color on your rag you have gradually destroyed your paint job.. that is why i said always use a non abrasive wax...
The pictures you post are of a custom paint job, I bet it is much thicker than a factory paint job like on our cars. it can withstand many more waxings and polishings than a factory paint job can...
Who told you that? There is no true WAX on the market that will remove any amount of clear coat. If your waxing weekly there is something wrong with your wax.

Polish (and maybe a few cleaner waxes) does remove trace amounts of clear coat.. If its done properly most paint jobs can withstand 20+ full blown polishings. And if your polishing weekly there is something wrong with your washing method, because you should never have to polish more than once every year.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
stirthepot

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Sorry but I respectfully totally disagree. Nobody would recommend using an abrasive wax every week. At least nobody sane.

Waxing and polishing you car is fine. Washing it every week is fine, washing it more than once a week is fine as long as you do it right.

The very small amount of paint or clear that you remove when you use a polish if done correcly with the right product will not have you wearing through you paint.

Of course if you choose to drive a dull looking car, or one that doesnt shine to its potential then that is your choice, but I dont think you should be telling people that they are going to be wiping out their clear or paint.
stirthepot is offline   Reply With Quote