Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Haw'n Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 Camaro 2014 ZL1 M6
Having problems with my clearcoat on my black paint.

Happy New Year everyone! My car arrived in October at the dealer with damage to the paint. The dealer took it to the body shop, fixed the damage and clear coated the car. How much of the car they clear coated, I don't know.

I take off the car cover off it scratches. I wash the car...rinsing the mit like I should, etc. I remove the lizard poop, it scratches. It scratches to easily and is driving me nuts!

I have also tried to buff the scratches off and that doesn't work either

So my question is.....should I make the body shop repaint the clear coat or do I accept the car the way it is.
Haw'n Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
I wouldn't be satisfied till I'm satisfied.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
Black is a really tough car when it comes to scratches. You will always notice them more on a black car. The more contact you have on the car with regards to washing, removing the car cover, etc. the more you have a chance to put scratches on the car. I don't think it is a clear coat issue but it wouldn't hurt to bring it to the dealer to get their input.
3M Paint Protection

2011 1SS/RS (BLACK on BLACK) <SOLD>
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
ISurvivednmu

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Black is not easy for sure, but I have found with my black truck that if you keep 2 coats of GOOD wax on it, life is much better. I use liquid glass and I have found that if I was the truck and wax it right away, that its best to let the wax sit on the truck for 12 hours and then wipe it off. The layer of wax seems to be thicker and provide more protection. Once you have a few layers built up, its easier to maintain.

But you still need to use the two bucket method to wash it and make sure you have a grit guard in both buckets. When its clean, it looks amazing.
ISurvivednmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
If this is your first black vehicle; I hope you are obsessive compulsive because it's a lot of work just to keep it clean (also, the brake dust is bad on this car).

What type of damage did the paint have and to what extent? The paint on these cars is very soft; so extra care is needed which just compounds the issue with black. I use clean, quality microfiber towels along a PC7424 with Menzerna polishes; but it's a lot of work. I also use the indoor GM ZL1 car cover which has a nice soft lining that doesn't scratch the paint. Covercraft makes a very nice flannel cover that works just as well; if not nicer.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
awh3r

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1
Black Paint

I have always bought Black cars and trucks. What you are experiencing is typical for black paint of any manufacturer. Black paint will show any imperfection and blemish, that is the nature of the black. You need a little direction on getting corrected and keeping it that way. First, visit Adams Polishes web site, they have video's from start to finish. Their products are excellent, I have gone through most on the market and they are the best. Second, google Junkman2000 on YouTube, great video's on detailing and he is pretty funny. I hope this helps.
awh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
BETO713

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by awh3r View Post
I have always bought Black cars and trucks. What you are experiencing is typical for black paint of any manufacturer. Black paint will show any imperfection and blemish, that is the nature of the black. You need a little direction on getting corrected and keeping it that way. First, visit Adams Polishes web site, they have video's from start to finish. Their products are excellent, I have gone through most on the market and they are the best. Second, google Junkman2000 on YouTube, great video's on detailing and he is pretty funny. I hope this helps.
+1 on Adams polishes and junkman videos he does his demonstrations on a dark colored corvette forgot if its dark blue or black. Great advice there!
BETO713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
This is not normal. I have owned only black vehicles. I dont have scratches from covering or washing my car. You should be able to polish out and wax anything fine.
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Tell you what. I followed Zaino instructions and I scratched my car. I switched to Junkman instructions, I scratched my car. I have $1000 in supplies for cleaning. It's black, it's going to scratch, it sucks. I've had five black vehicles now. This was probably my last black car.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
Good_Times

Drives: red
Black paint on a car is not a color. It's a full time job. :-D
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
crustychev

Drives: 2013 ZL1,1972 Dart, 1947 Willys
That is why I always said "my first black car was my last black car". Silver is the best color for not showing the scratches. All my work trucks are silver. You could wash them in a mud puddle and never show the scratches.
crustychev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
That's normal if your wash process isn't sound.

Nothing they will cover, nor should they. The clear coat is functioning as intended.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Also, you said the dealership clear coated the car. If they re-cleared the entire car/most of it then it could have still been "soft" when you were washing/covering it. Not sure what materials they used, but typically clear coats will still be somewhat "soft" for up to a month or two after application. It is ok to wash the car during this period, but you do have to be more careful.

When we do paintwork we always caution the customer to be more careful with the fresh paint because it will scratch easier, and stain easier from bird poop/ hard water spots etc.
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #14
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
op. you have a brand new very expensive car. i think i would still take it back to dealer and get some information. i too bought a black vert in October. it was new, but sat for a year on lot. before delivery, they detailed and got the scratches out. i pointed out all the scratches i saw on that car as i had looked at it for 3 months, and went up on days they were closed. anyway, when i got car, it was scratch free. i have washed car only twice since i bought it, and i use 2 mitts, and 2 buckets, and i rinse alot. i am very easy on the car, kind of dab here and there, then rinsse. i use leaf blower to dry off. and micro fibre towel and detail spray. when done, i stil have some spots, but i try to not touch it anymore than i have to. yes. black is more work, but looks good. but, take it back to dealer as your car is new and you have alot invested there. good luck!!!
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote