Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
jnm2003

Drives: O2 GMC & 2010 camaro SS IBM 6M
help with noise when shifting low gears at low rpms

Ive searched these forums threw and threw and have not found the latest reasonable answer! Any update would be useful.

I have a M6 2SS. when i take off in first i let out the clutch and i hear a vibrating/rattling noise. 80% of the time it does it and its when im taking off in first gear. it happens at the last sec of letting out the clutch and sometimes carries on a couple short seconds after fully letting off the clutch. and it does it in second and third but not as much! its done it since the second or third day of driving the car. Its only at low rpms as far as I noticed. i had a friend ride with me who has messed with older f-bodies for years, but never new camaros, say it sounds like a heat shield rattle. I searched many forums and found some say the driveshaft needs a spacer or washer/ some say its something in the IRS when the car is going slow and under a load. Could it be the input shaft breaking problem people been having.. but it wouldnt make noise it would just break right?

Anyone have the latest news or if this is a GM issue they are working on??
Thanks!!

2010 camaro SS/RS Manual IBM.
NEW TIME 12.24 @ 114 mph. -[B] street tires, Hurst short throw, Halltech yellow jacket intake, AR long tube 1 7/8 headers, and a tune.
12.82 @ 110 MPH 1.92 60ft ALMOST Bone Stock ONLY MOD IS Borla mufflers.
jnm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
can you replicate the noise when car is not moving? Just bring up the rpm and listen for the noise. If you hear the noise when car is not in gear, then you know it is not the driveline and likely a rattle some place and believe me, there are several rattle TSBs on the 2010 Camaro.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
jnm2003

I don't hear it When the car is in neutral sitting still. Only when I'm lettin out the clutch in low rpms. It didn't do it this morning on my way to work tho. It's not all the time. And the sound carries on sometimes for a sec after the clutch has been fully let off. What are some of them?

NEW TIME 12.24 @ 114 mph. -[B] street tires, Hurst short throw, Halltech yellow jacket intake, AR long tube 1 7/8 headers, and a tune.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
No, your rattle is not the output shaft issue. Yes, the output shaft would just break but mostly happens when launching the car at high RPMs. So, it could very well be the driveshaft shim remedy. Visit your dealer and ask them to look up TSBs for the Camaro, one just might fit the bill.
Another thing to try, when it does rattle, does it go away if you firmly hold the shift knob? If it goes away when you do that, then you have a tad more play in the shift linkage and I wouldn't worry about it. I have a tad extra play in the linkage and mine does rattle more with my after-market shifter. No biggie, won't break anything.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm2003 View Post
I don't hear it When the car is in neutral sitting still. Only when I'm lettin out the clutch in low rpms. It didn't do it this morning on my way to work tho. It's not all the time. And the sound carries on sometimes for a sec after the clutch has been fully let off. What are some of them?
I think your friend might be right about the heat shield. I had a similiar issue with my Acura RSX recently. On my last dealer oil change, the tech noticed the sound and picked up on it immediately and determined it was the heat shield. Fixed the heat shield and the sound is gone for me. For me, the sound was happening all the time in 1st, second gear acceleration and would go away once cruising in 5th and 6th. Totally different cars. But its worth a look next time you take it in for servicing to have them check the heat shield.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
jnm2003

It has seemed to do it when i first crank the car and let off the clutch to go but then wont for the rest of the drive. not AS much but i can sometimes feel it/hear it when im turning when clutch is already released and slowly give it gas to make the turn. like yall say possible heat sheild problem? I do think i have loose shift linkage because when i come out of a gear like 3rd or 4th and go to put it in 2nd its not a smooth shift. another example is like 5th to 3rd. like it goes in but hesitates. just to be sure its in gear i pull it back out and put it back in the same gear and its a smooth shift all of a sudden. its been more and more when im at a stop and go to put it in first i have to pull it back out put it in second then go up to first. I tried holding the shift lever firmly and still hear it. So that is a loose shift linkage right? BUT I dont think its the cause of the noise because i dont feel it in the shifter when it does it but can feel it in the clutch. how people say its a spring issue in the clutch it shouldnt be that because the clutch is hydraulic and isnt a direct linkage type connection to the transmission so i what im feeling shouldnt be that right? I dont know why whatever the noise is i feel it more in the clutch pedal and it does it when im letting out the clutch but dont feel it in the gas pedal or shifter. sounds like

im going to take it to the dealer as soon as i get a chance from work. i just need some opinions so if they are idiots and cant find it i have things to throw at them and see if they checked these things! and my car is my baby and dont want some idiots tearing into things that may not be the probelm. Ive done alot of work to my truck myself.. suspension, headers, etc all bc i dont trust most mechanics. any more knowledge is helpful. Thanks also for the replies so far!!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Unique Auto Depot

Drives: Camaro 2010
Mine was making a noise also took it to the dealer this is what they found "E-Brake Boot at tunnel rubbing against drive shaft coupler. Reposition E-Brake Boot Away from Drive shaft Coupler"
Unique Auto Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
sound from the rear

Quote:
Ive searched these forums threw and threw and have not found the latest reasonable answer! Any update would be useful.

I have a M6 2SS. when i take off in first i let out the clutch and i hear a vibrating/rattling noise. 80% of the time it does it and its when im taking off in first gear. it happens at the last sec of letting out the clutch and sometimes carries on a couple short seconds after fully letting off the clutch. and it does it in second and third but not as much! its done it since the second or third day of driving the car. Its only at low rpms as far as I noticed. i had a friend ride with me who has messed with older f-bodies for years, but never new camaros, say it sounds like a heat shield rattle. I searched many forums and found some say the driveshaft needs a spacer or washer/ some say its something in the IRS when the car is going slow and under a load. Could it be the input shaft breaking problem people been having.. but it wouldnt make noise it would just break right?

Anyone have the latest news or if this is a GM issue they are working on??
Thanks!!
I also have noticed the same sound, but it just started not too long ago. I only have a little over 1700 miles. It only does it when I take off slowly in first. To me it sounds like a harmonic vibration when under load at take off. I have not tried to slow down in another gear where the rpm is under 1000 to see if it does it when it lugs. Will bring to dealer soon. I did notice that it only does it after I am driving around for awhile, but if I let the car sit for a few minutes it takes awhile to do it again.
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
jnm2003

has anyone brought there car in to get checked and got any results yet? havent brought mine in yet.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
KLR ZL1

strange sounds

Quote:
has anyone brought there car in to get checked and got any results yet? havent brought mine in yet.
I will be taking mine in on monday, will let you know what they find.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
KLR ZL1

Dealer update

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack2010 View Post
I will be taking mine in on monday, will let you know what they find.
Well I took my car in yesterday and your not going to believe what they said. The tech did all of the recall stuff and then checked the heat shield and mufflers and anything else that would make any vibration noise. Then he test drove it and still does it, then gets service manager to testdrive and He said that the niose is gear lash in the tranny and the sound is traveling through the drivetrain. So I went on a drive with the service manager and he tells me the same thing too. He told me that all the 6 spd mans. even in the vettes make this noise and it is normal. So I hope that someone else takes there car in to see what their dealer tells them. That way we can tell if this is a problem or not. I do have to say that it does not effect drivablity, it just bothers me. I also told the service manager that I had a 99 Z-28 man. and it did not make this noise.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
don0fthedead

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
I thought I had a similar problem to yours, as mine sorta happens when I let off the clutch. I checked some youtube videos to hear what a heat shield vibration would sound like, and I don't think that's what I'm experiencing. Is your noise sort of a high pitch noise?
don0fthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
jnm2003

Yea it is high pitched! I thk it could also be the brakes bc they had some threads that talked about our cars need extra weights to balance correctly!? It does it in any gear goin slow while turning.. Like when the car is in under a load! It does it at the end and a lil after clutch disengagement. And 90% of the time when i take off in first in the morning from sitting up all night..but only the first time tho like when I'm pulling out of my parking spot at my apt but may not do it the rest of the day.
I brought it to a guy that does tuning and dynos down here and he said it was normal tranny noise like your dealer said. They just don't notice it bc not many muscle cars are stock for one thing and are quiet enough to hear. And ur older Camaro had a diff tranny don't forget that either.
Mine is starting to do it less and less, I guess it's breaking in and it was just normal noise. Got 1700 miles on it now. Runs great! So imma give it jus a lil bit longer and say f* it bc the only reason I posted a thread Is bc I'm prob gonna end up voiding my warranty here soon and wanted to make sure all the kinks out first!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
don0fthedead

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yea it is high pitched! I thk it could also be the brakes bc they had some threads that talked about our cars need extra weights to balance correctly!? It does it in any gear goin slow while turning.. Like when the car is in under a load! It does it at the end and a lil after clutch disengagement. And 90% of the time when i take off in first in the morning from sitting up all night..but only the first time tho like when I'm pulling out of my parking spot at my apt but may not do it the rest of the day.
I brought it to a guy that does tuning and dynos down here and he said it was normal tranny noise like your dealer said. They just don't notice it bc not many muscle cars are stock for one thing and are quiet enough to hear. And ur older Camaro had a diff tranny don't forget that either.
Mine is starting to do it less and less, I guess it's breaking in and it was just normal noise. Got 1700 miles on it now. Runs great! So imma give it jus a lil bit longer and say f* it bc the only reason I posted a thread Is bc I'm prob gonna end up voiding my warranty here soon and wanted to make sure all the kinks out first!
Any luck on this one so far, jnm? I have been on vacation for a while and just got back today. I'll probably be taking my car into the dealer this week once I get the time. If you've figured anything out, I'd love to know.
don0fthedead is offline   Reply With Quote