Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
daniel@txangl.com

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,09 G8 GXP,00 TA
Issues with USB Flash Drives

Hey all, I have noticed issues with the USB and Flash drives. I have an 8gig USB drive that plays fine for the first few on/off sequences in the car, however, after a while, the display will freeze on the last song played but will keep playing new tracks. When this happens, I can no longer hit menu to select random, search, anything. Unplugging the USB drive for a while "resets" it. At times, the USB option from the source list will dissapear after this has happened. Has anyone else seen this? What USB keys are you using? It's very annoying. Also as mentioned in another thread, the radio does NOT remember your random play settings.
daniel@txangl.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
i have only used the flash drive like two times never had a problem, i use my ipod most of the time, it makes a ticking sound when you are scrolling through the artist and etc.
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
using a thumbdrive is flaky in my 2ss as well... have not used it much
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
I pluged my I pod in and the head unit is not seeing it.
used the I pod cable to the USB Plug. Press the AUX button and it goes from the Small plug not in use , press again and says no disk in.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFnSNO View Post
used the I pod cable to the USB Plug. Press the AUX button and it goes from the Small plug not in use , press again and says no disk in.
What type of iPod are you using? It might not be a supported one. Did anything show up on the iPod screen when you connected it up? If it was low on battery or needed to charge first, it won't connect until the iPod finishes booting.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
jsmith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IBM
I have only used my flashdrive a few times but had no issues, maybe a file on your USB drive is corrupted and when it comes to a corrupted file it locks up the system. I know when I come across a bad file on my computer and try to play it in the windows media player, wierd things will happen like what you are refering to.
Event 3000 - 4/10/09
Event 3300 - 4/27/09
Event 3800 - 5/12/09 VIN#9436
Event 4200 - 5/18/09 :party0038:
Event 5000 - 5/28/09 delivered
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
It is a 60 Gig with movie.
Have no movie loaded; but have 52Gig of music in a single music Dir.
From what I have been reading the Camaro will only recognise smalled segments. If I understand Correctly.

So for My I pod to be Reconised by the Camaro I will need to make up Play lists?
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
beausbriggs
2G1FT1EW3A9113560

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to beausbriggs
I'm having some strange issues with my USB drive as well... I've got a High Speed 8gb thumb drive. For some reason it randomly has to "index". This doesn't happen every time I turn the car on but enough to be annoying.

The second issue I have is that the screen goes blank and all it shows is the USB icon. The song still plays and you can advance to the next one. Even the menu is blank. FM/XM is normal, but the only way to get the screen back for USB is to shut the car off for an extended amount of time.

And the fact that it doesn't stay on random when you turn your car back on is annoying too. I was hoping for a little more from the USB.

1000, Dealer Order (4.06.09)
1100, Preliminary order accepted (04.09.09)
2000, Order accepted by GM (4.16.09)
3000, Order accepted by production control (4.21.09)
3100, Order available to sequence (5.14.09)
3300, Order scheduled for production (5.14.09)
3400, Order broadcast (5.21.09)
3800, Order produced (5.29.09)
4000, Available to ship (5.29.09)
4200, Shipped (5.29.09)
4800, Rail Ramp Unload (5.30.09)
5000, Delivered to the dealer (6.10.09)
6000, Delivered to the customer (6.11.09)
beausbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
No problems with mine. The only thing I hate about it, that it will not read the USB when I initially start the car so I have to inplug and plug it back in. That and it takes about 5 minutes to index the MP3 player. I use a Sony Walkman. When it is all set up I love it. It is not really good on short trips though. By the time it is done indexing I am where I need to be. That and I can only listen to the first song on my player so many times.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
daniel@txangl.com

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,09 G8 GXP,00 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by beausbriggs View Post
I'm having some strange issues with my USB drive as well... I've got a High Speed 8gb thumb drive. For some reason it randomly has to "index". This doesn't happen every time I turn the car on but enough to be annoying.

The second issue I have is that the screen goes blank and all it shows is the USB icon. The song still plays and you can advance to the next one. Even the menu is blank. FM/XM is normal, but the only way to get the screen back for USB is to shut the car off for an extended amount of time.

And the fact that it doesn't stay on random when you turn your car back on is annoying too. I was hoping for a little more from the USB.
I have the exact same probelm. My brother said that even his after market head unit did the same thing with USB drives. He recommended revoving the USB everytime you turn the car off, but that is anoying. I have ordered the New 35Gig iPhone so I hope that I don't have issue with that.

Maybe there will be an update for the radio in the future.
daniel@txangl.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Quote:
Mine does this too - it's a 4GB drive. It wants to index about every third or fourth time I start the car. Like you say, not a major issue but somewhat annoying.

Quote:
Better than messing with CDs, at least.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
It is a 60 Gig with movie.
Have no movie loaded; but have 52Gig of music in a single music Dir.
From what I have been reading the Camaro will only recognise smalled segments. If I understand Correctly.

So for My I pod to be Reconised by the Camaro I will need to make up Play lists?
No, if you're using an iPod, you don't need to worry about creating playlists. The Camaro will see all of the music. It sounds like you might not be using iTunes to load the music on your iPod though. For the iPod to function correctly, you need to load all of the music using iTunes. That helps it create its index of music which the Camaro then reads. You might have to erase everything on the iPod and load it over again if you just dragged and dropped the files onto the iPod using Explorer or My Computer. As long as when you plug it into iTunes it shows all of your songs, it should work when you hook your USB cable up to the car.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel@txangl.com View Post
Maybe there will be an update for the radio in the future.
I can't say for certain, but that's a good assumption.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
bballplaya210

Drives: 2002 Honda S2000
Quote:
I don't have a Camaro so this may be completely wrong, but isn't the AUX plug completely separate from USB? From what I understand, AUX is standard on all Camaros and the USB port comes on 2XX or 1LT with the connectivity package. If this is the case, you may just be hitting the wrong button since you have nothing plugged into the AUX port. I would assume that there is a button that either says MP3 or USB but I don't know.
bballplaya210 is offline   Reply With Quote