Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
MotorCity

Drives: BRM 2SS/RS 1LE
3M DIY paint protection film

just came across this 3M product online. Looks very self explanatory and an incredible alternative to getting a clear bra professionally applied. Has anyone used this product yet? if so, how well does it work on vertical surfaces such as bumpers and quarter panels? check out the link I posted below to watch their demonstration video. Pretty cool stuff!

MotorCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
I'd be wary. Too easy to make it too thick/thin, miss areas. It would be horrible for it to dry splotchy because of its aerosol form. But who knows, could end up being an we some product.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
MotorCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I'd be wary. Too easy to make it too thick/thin, miss areas. It would be horrible for it to dry splotchy because of its aerosol form. But who knows, could end up being an we some product.
yea I was worried about that too... either way, it's suppose to come off relatively easy, such as plastidip. My buddy is going to try it out this weekend and let me know how it works for him
Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
That looks awesome. Please keep me posted.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Like! Been waiting for product like this.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Checked this out on Amazon, $25/can + $8 for the nozzle and $12 for the application kit (plastic dropcloth and tape...). It also shows how many cans are needed to cover different areas (e.g. 2 for the entire hood). Claimed coverage is 1 year so it'll add up year after year but it's still much cheaper than film. Looks like pretty neat stuff.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Any info on if it can be safely/easily removed?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
Any info on if it can be safely/easily removed?
They said it can be pulled off.

I think I may pick it up in a week or two specifically for my side mirrors and rocker panels. My side mirrors clear bra is showing due to poor installation. And the rocker panels just carry so much dirt that clay even has a tough time removing, so I'm hoping you can easily remove dirt from this.

How far does one can go?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
joeybsyc

Cool, please let me know how it works. I have Xpel Ultimate on my Camaro with no complaints, but I just had the front bumper and hood painted on my daily driver due to an accident, and if this stull will keep the new paint nice for awhile I may just invest in it.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
MotorCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
They said it can be pulled off.

I think I may pick it up in a week or two specifically for my side mirrors and rocker panels. My side mirrors clear bra is showing due to poor installation. And the rocker panels just carry so much dirt that clay even has a tough time removing, so I'm hoping you can easily remove dirt from this.

How far does one can go?
not entirely sure, but I would assume an entire bumper.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
MotorCity

Quote:
Cool, please let me know how it works. I have Xpel Ultimate on my Camaro with no complaints, but I just had the front bumper and hood painted on my daily driver due to an accident, and if this stull will keep the new paint nice for awhile I may just invest in it.
yea if the finish is as nice as 3M claims, it would be worth doing it this way. getting clear bra put on professionally using plastic sheets costs a ton and only lasts 2-3 years. After that time, clear bras start yellowing and looking pretty nasty...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
ec1990

Quote:
Definitely after looking it, it can't hurt to at least try on the rocker panels. I also have an Xpel on the front bumper which works great, except the bra was cut by something. But along the door jambs it shows and the mirrors could use it. Worst case I tear it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
yea if the finish is as nice as 3M claims, it would be worth doing it this way. getting clear bra put on professionally using plastic sheets costs a ton and only lasts 2-3 years. After that time, clear bras start yellowing and looking pretty nasty...
The cheap ones will be like that, higher end 3M bras and Xpel will last 5-10 years + and guaranteed to not yellow, it all depends on the installer. As well as quality of the material, same as tinting you can go cheap and see it purple and bubble in 5 years or get legitimate tint that will last 10+ years without bubbles or fading.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
The protection of a clear bar, the application process like plasti-dip. Whats not to love?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
joeybsyc

Any updates on this?

Tags
clear bra, protection