Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #183
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
I'm still new to pony cars but it seems like everyone measures a car in it's ability to achieve a fast 1/4 mile and nothing else. Raw horsepower isnt everything (Think GT-R here) when I think of a fast car but on how the car is engineered to maximize that power. If I wanted a car that was super quick in a straight line only, neither the Camaro nor the Mustang would be my first choice.
Well ya.....that's the whole point of muscle cars. They are heavy, cheap, big v8's with great 1/4 mile times. If handling is what you want, then a lighter 2 seater is better suited for the job. It's just that handling on muscle cars these days just happens to be a bonus.

If I wanted a track car, then I would looking at a corvette. Not a 4000+ lb ZL1.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #184
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I just couldn't resist... last time I saw that car it had a sticker in the window...

I've used launch control and no lift shift and I think all off like the SS will be the way to go. Just need to get to the track and prove it.

Enjoy your ride... both of you..
It will be at the track this Saturday. Camaros for Heroes event. Just got make sure I drive it faster than the wife.....
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #185
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
It will be at the track this Saturday. Camaros for Heroes event. Just got make sure I drive it faster than the wife.....
What a super great cause... hope you guys do well..

Wife + ZL1 + Track =
Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #186
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I think I like this quote the most, something you will hardly ever hear a Mustang member of this forum say.

Quote:
So in other words, we were wrong. When it comes to pony cars, it's not always about horsepower. At least not anymore.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 06-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #187
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I think I like this quote the most, something you will hardly ever hear a member of this forum say.
We've all been saying a version of that for months...
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #188
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
It's not naive at all. This may be the first h2h review, but virtually all the other zl1 reviews say the same thing - the zl1 has impressive handling (for a muscle car). And these include full road course reviews. This h2h review is simply another argument to support the theory until we have more h2h road course tests.

As for brakes, they both stopped very close together. The zl1 is heavier but it has 2 piece front rotors and brake ducts which should help offset the extra heat. So I don't think the shelby has a brake advantage.

The shelby has slightly poorer front/rear weight distribution too. But the cornering advantage is already with the zl1.

Acceleration advantage is definitely with the shelby. But will it be enough?

Edit: Actually I just read (correct me I'm wrong) the 2013 shelby does not have a front brake duct option. I suppose its an easy mod however.
I'm not sure if the Shelby has ducts or not. It has smaller rear brakes than the zl1, but larger front brakes with fixed aluminum calipers that tend to dissipate heat better and provide more even wear, extending pad life. Weight is huge in braking also and the gt500 has stopped shorter in every test. Again, I'm not arguing the ZL1 isn't the better handler, it surely is. I think most neutral parties have known for a while it was going to handle very well. Once again though, a road course is more than a slalom in a parking lot and these tests don't really show much more than we already knew.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #189
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I'm not sure if the Shelby has ducts or not. It has smaller rear brakes than the zl1, but larger front brakes with fixed aluminum calipers that tend to dissipate heat better and provide more even wear, extending pad life. Weight is huge in braking also and the gt500 has stopped shorter in every test. Again, I'm not arguing the ZL1 isn't the better handler, it surely is. I think most neutral parties have known for a while it was going to handle very well. Once again though, a road course is more than a slalom in a parking lot and these tests don't really show much more than we already knew.
I wouldn't know the answer to this, so I question the Shelby has bigger front brakes than the ZL1??? In the breaking test they were 1 foot apart with the ZL1 being the heavier car... Not sure you can really give braking to the Shelby after this test.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #190
8cd03gro

The Shelby has 15.0" 6-piston fixed caliper front brakes to the ZL1's 14.6" two-piece disk, sliding caliper.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #191
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I didn't read the thread. The ZL1 as produced can't and will not be surpased by any big three manufacturer for ride quality, handling and control. If you would like to see for yourself and have the opprortunity to take one for an extended drive, I am sure you would plainly see what I am taking about. The car begs you to stay in it, and drive..........all day long. No seat fatigue, jostling, bounce, body shock or hammering due to road conditions. It takes anything you can throw at it with such ease, and comfort, .....someone could fall asleep in the back seat while you get sweaty palms driving through any paces you like. Let the blue oval gang eat cake. No comparrison.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #192
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
The Shelby has 15.0" 6-piston fixed caliper front brakes to the ZL1's 14.6" two-piece disk, sliding caliper.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #193
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I didn't read the thread. The ZL1 as produced can't and will not be surpased by any big three manufacturer for ride quality, handling and control. If you would like to see for yourself and have the opprortunity to take one for an extended drive, I am sure you would plainly see what I am taking about. The car begs you to stay in it, and drive..........all day long. No seat fatigue, jostling, bounce, body shock or hammering due to road conditions. It takes anything you can throw at it with such ease, and comfort, .....someone could fall asleep in the back seat while you get sweaty palms driving through any paces you like. Let the blue oval gang eat cake. No comparrison.
I think you're going to see a lot of non-muscle car people driving zl1s because of this. MRC is some great tech and though I haven't experienced it in the zl1, I love it on cts-v. I'm glad the pony cars have started really going after some all out track performance the past few years. The real party is just beginning!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #194
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Fuel used for test91-octane gasoline Chevy ZL1
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #195
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
We've all been saying a version of that for months...
I meant a Mustang member...Leave one word out changes the whole meaning
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #196
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLcoolZ View Post
To be honest, I looked to see if there were any other threads on this article, but I didn't find any, so I posted it. I must have missed them.
You done good...

It's great to see this stuff written in words...

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500