Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM   #1
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Why The ZL1 is better than an EV

This is why the ICE 650HP is better than any EV at the moment
Attached Images

george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:24 AM   #2
OCDRob

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Any ice vehicle is better than ev.
OCDRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:18 AM   #3
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDRob View Post
Any ice vehicle is better than ev.
Very true. In TN there is an additional tax paid with your registration each year on EV or PHEVs to make up for the loss of hwy funds from gas taxes. It's $200 this year and will be $274 by 2026. Sales of EVs were down in 2023 from 2022 as more people are realizing the true ownership costs along with the inconveniences.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:31 AM   #4
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I would rather have a Toyota Yaris than any Tesla or EV.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:31 AM   #5
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Owned two Tesla's for about a year each, never had this issue, not even once. A good friend of mine has had his Tesla for 3 years and travels all over the US and never had this issue. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it's certainly VERY rare. I've seen gas stations with broken pumps too, it happens sometimes.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:05 AM   #6
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Being qualified to chime in, here, since I have owned both a zl1 and a Tesla for the last 1.5 year -

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much of what you read online is overblown or intentionally made to sound worse than it is because of the anti-EV agenda.

We have had 1 single issue with ours since we've had it. One of the taillights got condensation inside. We contacted tesla thru the app, they were out the next day in our driveway replacing the light for free. That was it. Literally zero other maintainance on this car and we already have 20k miles. It is faster than the zl1 from a dig. I can't pass it until about 80mph or so. It drives very smooth - i'm not getting knocked around everytime I drive over a bump.

The zl1 looks way better. It obviously sounds way better (for those who appreciate that - I know many Tesla owners love the silence, but I want to hear performance cars). The Tesla is much easier to drive fast in real world situations. To me, it feels like the handling is comparable, but I've never had either car on a track or really tried to find the limits on public roads.

When we got the car, we spent $400 to install a wall charger in the garage. We charge it after midnight when rates are the lowest. However, my wife does get free charging at work, so that is a huge plus. We only spend about $100/mo of our own money to power this thing.

So, not to get defensive - I don't personally care if people drive ICE cars or EVs, but being objective, there is no way that one can say ICE cars are "better." Having driven one now for over a year, I actually prefer the way the Tesla drives. When you really get into that community (as annoying as many of the owners are, lol) you also see that most of these cars do not have major problems. Certainly not more than ICE cars do. I've already had the zl1 into the dealer 5 times in the last year - nothing major, but little things that required attention, and an oil change, and a differential fluid service.

EVs are great for some people. ICE cars make more sense for others. Let's stop the hate and just enjoy our cars. I was NEVER an EV fan, but when gas was at $7/gal and we were spending $440/mo on my wife's SUV, we made the switch, and it has been great. Be open minded and you may surprise yourself.
Instagram - @JBsCars

Last edited by JBones81; 01-16-2024 at 11:44 AM.
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:26 AM   #7
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Where I am, with up to -32°F for weeks at a time I would have range and systems anxiety with the car keeping it and my self alive.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:35 AM   #8
ohsmily

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Being qualified to chime in, here, since I have owned both a zl1 and a Tesla for the last 1.5 year -

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much of what you read online is overblown or intentionally made to sound worse than it is because of the anti-EV agenda.

We have had 1 single issue with ours since we've had it. One of the taillights got condensation inside. We contacted tesla thru the app, they were out the next day in our driveway replacing the light for free. That was it. Literally zero other maintainance on this car and we already have 20k miles. It is faster than the zl1 from a dig. I can't pass it until about 80mph or so. It drives very smooth - i'm not getting knocked around everytime I drive over a bump.

The zl1 looks way better. It obviously sounds way better (for those who appreciate that - I know many Tesla owners love the silence, but I want to hear performance cars). It's much easier to drive fast in real world situations. To me, it feels like the handling is comparable, but I've never had either car on a track or really tried to find the limits on public roads.

When we got the car, we spent $400 to install a wall charger in the garage. We charge it after midnight when rates are the lowest. However, my wife does get free charging at work, so that is a huge plus. We only spend about $100/mo of our own money to power this thing.

So, not to get defensive - I don't personally care if people drive ICE cars or EVs, but being objective, there is no way that one can say ICE cars are "better." Having driven one now for over a year, I actually prefer the way the Tesla drives. When you really get into that community (as annoying as many of the owners are, lol) you also see that most of these cars do not have major problems. Certainly not more than ICE cars do. I've already had the zl1 into the dealer 5 times in the last year - nothing major, but little things that required attention, and an oil change, and a differential fluid service.

EVs are great for some people. ICE cars make more sense for others. Let's stop the hate and just enjoy our cars. I was NEVER an EV fan, but when gas was at $7/gal and we were spending $440/mo on my wife's SUV, we made the switch, and it has been great. Be open minded and you may surprise yourself.
Exactly. Well said.
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:46 AM   #9
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Where I am, with up to -32°F for weeks at a time I would have range and systems anxiety with the car keeping it and my self alive.
There certainly are places where it isn't practical at this time. Though, I have to wonder why any human would want to live in a place where temps get below zero. You do know there are warmer climates on the planet, right?
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:49 PM   #10
White1SS

Drives: White 2024 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Very true. In TN there is an additional tax paid with your registration each year on EV or PHEVs to make up for the loss of hwy funds from gas taxes. It's $200 this year and will be $274 by 2026. Sales of EVs were down in 2023 from 2022 as more people are realizing the true ownership costs along with the inconveniences.

They want to do the same thing here in PA. I think it's somewhere around $300 with your registration. The bad thing is you pay the full fee even if you never drive the car. With the gas tax ( I believe ours is .60/gallon here in PA) you only pay the gas tax when you buy fuel, so drive less you pay less. The EV tax on your registration applies even if you never drive the car, plus you're paying tax on any electric you use to charge the car, the whole EV thing is ridiculous.
White1SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:53 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
"anti-EV agenda" There is no such thing, it's simply a modern day variant of Newton's 3rd law in action.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:08 PM   #12
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
The climate wackos will never get me into some soulless, boring, appliance like an EV. Sounds like I'm not alone based on the complaints I read. That's why they are languishing on dealer lots. Who wants to spend $10K-$30K just to replace the battery when it dies? Not to mention, I have yet to see a SINGLE public charging station for these things anywhere. Try driving cross-country in an EV, better plan a month just to get to your destination. No thanks, they can keep em.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:49 PM   #13
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post

The zl1 looks way better. It obviously sounds way better (for those who appreciate that - I know many Tesla owners love the silence, but I want to hear performance cars). The Tesla is much easier to drive fast in real world situations. To me, it feels like the handling is comparable, but I've never had either car on a track or really tried to find the limits on public roads.

100%. I wasn't sold on EV's either until we bought our first Tesla. I'm not for the EV push to make everyone own one but I do both technologies can and should exist and give buyers a choice. For a daily driver that doesn't commute more than 100-150 miles round trip each day, it's REALLY hard to beat an EV. I can't speak for all EV's but Tesla is the gold standard and if you're going to own an EV, this should be the starting point for anyone. I could go on and on for a while about all the pros and very few cons but I understand the message board we're on and not everyone wants to hear it
Old 01-16-2024, 01:51 PM   #14
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
The climate wackos will never get me into some soulless, boring, appliance like an EV. Sounds like I'm not alone based on the complaints I read. That's why they are languishing on dealer lots. Who wants to spend $10K-$30K just to replace the battery when it dies? Not to mention, I have yet to see a SINGLE public charging station for these things anywhere. Try driving cross-country in an EV, better plan a month just to get to your destination. No thanks, they can keep em.
Tesla isn't have any issues selling their EVs. The only EV's you see sitting on dealer lots are other manufacturers that are struggling to get any market foothold against Tesla who is already well established.