Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Brandonc28

Drives: GXSR
Black camaro paint maintenance

Hi, I just bought my first black car, 2012 camaro and I've had it for a few days now and boy do I love it!!! but I can already see how it will be a B**** to take care of the paint. This is actually my first "new" car I've purchased and I have no prior knowledge of taking care of the paint. I have ample amounts of time in the morning to take care of this beauty but dont have the knowledge or tools yet to do so, I havent done anything to try and clean it yet because I want to do it PERFECTLY to keep it as mint as possible. Any tips/guides or links to mabe a similar post on what to use and how to properly wash/buff/wax it and even what order to do them in would be MUCH appreciated!
Brandonc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I made this a while ago. My inbox is always open if you want advice without someone trying to sell you something. The Adam's Army will be here soon.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Hell I just noticed Plano. Send me a Pm we can meet up and I can walk you through it all in person.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Adams is gunna be your favorite site!!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
here is a link that will take you to a huge library of articles, product how to's, etc....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
try autopia.org or autogeek.net, as you will get a much broader perspective of detailing advice there vs. here which will all push in one direction...

but a few every day maintenance tips: don't touch your car, ever. unless you're cleaning it, that's it. also, don't park under trees. i have a small spray bottle of QD and a MF towel in my glove box in case i see sap or bird crap on my car, so i can remove it before the etching begins. also, if you live in an apartment or frequently visit an apartment, do not park near sprinklers (this really goes for anywhere). sprinklers in dallas are notorious for carrying minerals/chemicals that will etch and stain your paint.

washing/polishing/maintaining shine all are personal techniques with different preferences to products, so i won't go into that with too much detail. i'm a big optimum nut because their products are non-conventional and do not require the same level of upkeep as more traditional products like adam's, meguiar's, etc. but, some people enjoy working their butt off for a decent shine, too. so it's all about what you want to do, which is why i recommended a couple of detailing sites that will give you more intel than you will find here.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I made this a while ago. My inbox is always open if you want advice without someone trying to sell you something. The Adam's Army will be here soon.

I do love Adam's so I'm not one to talk. Keeps detailing simple for me. It may be more expensive but their service makes up for it imo.

But OP Camaro Dreams is one of the great detailers on this forum and he has a very unbaised view on products.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCarrot View Post

I do love Adam's so I'm not one to talk. Keeps detailing simple for me. It may be more expensive but their service makes up for it imo.

But OP Camaro Dreams is one of the great detailers on this forum and he has a very unbaised view on products.
It's all in fun (mostly) I have lots of respect for the products and use many of them frequently.

And I don't know about one of the great detailers but thank you
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Black paint isn't a hobby... its a career! LOL

The main thing to remember, regardless of your product choice, is that the process you use to care for the car is far more important than the products you choose to use.

Even the very best products, when used incorrectly, will leave you disappointed.

Educate yourself by reading here, on the other sites suggested, even give our forums a run (www.AdamsForums.com) on the basics like washing and when/what to use for in between cleanings. Most black paint jobs end up swirled to death just by virtue of the use of bad wash technique and supplies. Theres a lot to sift thru, but theres a ton of guys on this site who can contribute info to help you keep that black paint flawless.

From one black vehicle owner to another... my condolences and congratulations
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I'll throw in my two cents, mostly because I can.

Yes, Adams is your friend (and mine) , but regardless of product they (Adams and Junkman) IMO offer something the others don't: The solid video basics of detailing start to finish, regardless of the products. Autogeeks.net is another good resource, but still leaves you guessing on some of the non-conventional products and how to tie it all together. They do offer great videos on product pages that if you watch both autogeeks and Adams videos you'll start to see some recurring themes that can be applied to any product. Personal preference on products will likely prevail once you understand the order of the .

Kiteman also lends solid advice above about some more of the basics regardless of products on your basic do's and don't and is "expert" on the ONR product line (km, I'm still waiting for winter to be over so I can try out some of those ONR techniques.. )

Finally, the best advice I can lend is what you've already done and seek out mulitple opinions, find a technique you're comfortable with, read and watch videos on the technique and most importantly, put it into practice. Have fun and enjoy the detailing passion. The pride will come out in your work.

Enjoy
Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Black paint isn't a hobby... its a career! LOL

The main thing to remember, regardless of your product choice, is that the process you use to care for the car is far more important than the products you choose to use.

Even the very best products, when used incorrectly, will leave you disappointed.

"Truer words have never been spoken!"

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
GatorUSMC

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Hell I just noticed Plano. Send me a Pm we can meet up and I can walk you through it all in person.
You taking drop-offs?
GatorUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorUSMC View Post
You taking drop-offs?
Haha I never turn down a job.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
CINDER02
<3

Drives: '11 Camaro
Quote:
Plano? You guys will have to hit me up if you get together... this black paint is driving me crazy!
CINDER02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, maintenance, paint, wash, wax