Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Germann

Drives: 2010 V6 Black Camaro
Experiencing wheelhop

The roads were a little damp today so with the coast clear I eased out the clutch and gave a fair amount of throttle to break the back tires loose. Traction control was off. The wheelhop was terrible...now its possible since I only was giving it about half throttle that it was trying to hook up, but wow, the wheelhop was bad. I stayed in it giving it more throttle, wheelhop continued as I quick shifted into second and broke them loose with a little more throttle and just like that, the wheelhop went away, a little smoke was billowing and she turned a little sideways until I finally let out of it. Anyone else experience severe wheel hop with the v-6?
Germann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
No wheel hop for me....were you tying to do a proper launch, or a burnout or something? To do a proper launch, i just drop the clutch at 2k rpm with TC on and hooks very nice and is a great launch. TO break the rear tires loose, all i do is turn tc off and drop the clutch at 3k rpm.
Sorry i dont understand what you were trying to do but still no wheel hop for me
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
No wheelhop here. 3k will get you a little sideways
Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I can take the back end out at will......no wheel hop. Maybe something is loose or broken?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Germann

Drives: 2010 V6 Black Camaro
Sorry, I got a chuckle out of the "proper launch" comment. Ive drag raced for the past 23 years. No, I wasnt trying to do a "proper launch". I figured she was broke in enough to burn a little rubber, but experienced some nasty wheel hop which shouldnt have occurred....I expect it out of the mustag to a degree with its live axle. The only thing I can think of to account for based on my racing experience is it was trying to bite, then broke loose again and then trying to bite again...like it would on an improperly prepared drag track.

Last edited by Germann; 09-22-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Germann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germann View Post
Sorry, I got a chuckle out of the "proper launch" comment. Ive drag raced for the past 23 years. No, I wasnt trying to do a "proper launch". I figured she was broke in enough to burn a little rubber, but experienced some nasty wheel hop which should have occurred....I expect it out of the mustag to a degree with its live axle. The only thing I can think of to account for based on my racing experience is it was trying to bite, then broke loose again and then trying to bite again...like it would on an improperly prepared drag track.
That is basically what wheelhop is. You should let off the gas immediately, wheelhop can be very damaging.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Sorry, I got a chuckle out of the "proper launch" comment. Ive drag raced for the past 23 years. No, I wasnt trying to do a "proper launch". I figured she was broke in enough to burn a little rubber, but experienced some nasty wheel hop which should have occurred....I expect it out of the mustag to a degree with its live axle. The only thing I can think of to account for based on my racing experience is it was trying to bite, then broke loose again and then trying to bite again...like it would on an improperly prepared drag track.
super traction pirellis and wet ground doesnt mix. were the tires already heated up or were they cold? i notice my old pirellis would wheel hop on wet roads if they hadnt had very long to heat up
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
That is basically what wheelhop is. You should let off the gas immediately, wheelhop can be very damaging.
only if you hold into it long enough which i hope no one is dumb enough to do. snapped axles suxorz
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
CamaroBAMF28

Drives: Black 2LT RS
im only experiencing it when its wet out.
CamaroBAMF28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
GeneralMotors4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
No wheel hop for me....were you tying to do a proper launch, or a burnout or something? To do a proper launch, i just drop the clutch at 2k rpm with TC on and hooks very nice and is a great launch. TO break the rear tires loose, all i do is turn tc off and drop the clutch at 3k rpm.
Sorry i dont understand what you were trying to do but still no wheel hop for me
When you say drop the clutch do you mean just completely let off it really fast?

Mods coming soon: custom CAI, IAT relocation
:5thgenvert:
GeneralMotors4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
fredbo

Drives: black 2010 LS
i be havin will hop
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
No wheel hop for me but I have a auto. I love the stabiltrack and traction control. I went to lunch today and on the wet roads I floored it. I was amazed at how it took off and went straight down the very wet road. If this would have been my old '79 Camaro or '78 Z28 both of them would have been in the ditch sideways.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMotors4Life View Post
When you say drop the clutch do you mean just completely let off it really fast?
Yup...no damage there either. If you were to slip the clutch at that rpm, you would be wearing out your clutch fast.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
TJ91

Quote:
Sorry, I got a chuckle out of the "proper launch" comment. Ive drag raced for the past 23 years. No, I wasnt trying to do a "proper launch". I figured she was broke in enough to burn a little rubber, but experienced some nasty wheel hop which shouldnt have occurred....I expect it out of the mustag to a degree with its live axle. The only thing I can think of to account for based on my racing experience is it was trying to bite, then broke loose again and then trying to bite again...like it would on an improperly prepared drag track.
I wasnt trying to insult you, nor should you have taken it that way. I was just trying to figure out what you were trying to do. In all the ways i have launched my car, never once had wheel hop